Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2005, 17:53   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Sunday, Boody Sunday.

The only time I have ever worked Sundays was years ago when I worked in a bank BC (and no that wasn't before Christ, it was before computers! ) Every financial year end we had to balance all the customers' accounts, then add the interest and then balance them again. All this done by manual calculations by one person and then checked by another. We sat there multiplying, adding and muttering for hours on end.

It was business as usual during the normal hours of the week but for the staff we worked evenings, sometimes beyond 10pm and weekends. By the Sunday I was like a zombie on auto pilot so my only memories of working on a Sunday are of being very, very tired.

These days I'm probably busier on a Sunday than I am during the week in some ways because I teach a sunday school class of 10 - 12 year olds. The experience I have of that gives me great admiration for ordinary teachers because 2 hours of that lot once a week drives me round the bend! I end up totally mentally exhausted. And I don't get paid anything at all!!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2005, 17:54   #17

I've been working today! I work for the Council and it's 24/7 I don't bleat about it, we also do bankholidays as well,it's part of the job and we are'nt on our own,loads of people work unsocial hours,as for going to Church,just cos you go to Church it does'nt always mean your a nice person,just make the most of your time off and be nice to others!

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 18:07   #18
Give, give, give member

True. l went to Sunday School and l turned into a little devil!

lt's an impossibility we can all have a day off together l know, buy wouldn't it be nice?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 18:11   #19
Senior Member+

Don't know about nights, only ever done a few during my working life, but the sunday working, done plenty of that, yeah double time, but that was when kids were small and money tight.

The modern trend seems to be do your shopping on sunday, look at Asda just like a normal day, take the likes of currys, pc world and all the others on that retail park, traffic can be backed up to the motorway roundabout with folk trying to get there. Ossy mills is another that crowded on sunday, more so if it's raining.Don't think any of the big stores would like to be without their 10 - 4 sunday trading.
I do however admire essential services sunday workers, without them we would be in trouble, the other is driven by bigger profits.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 18:16   #20
Resident Waffler

My family time is actually Monday evenings. Early evening we all do something together ranging from going to the cinema, playing bowls, having a "hide & seek" or "photo quiz" around the house, or making cakes etc. We take turns planning it. Sometimes the things the girls plan can be a little crazy but interesting.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 18:22   #21
Give, give, give member

Like Willow said family time can be any day, it's just managing to coordinate it, with so many busy lives.
50 years ago, we did have people working emergency services such as medics and landlords! But when Sunday was for the majority, considered a day of rest it must have been much easier to plan for it.

Old 13-03-2005, 18:50   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Like Willow said family time can be any day, it's just managing to coordinate it, with so many busy lives.
50 years ago, we did have people working emergency services such as medics and landlords! But when Sunday was for the majority, considered a day of rest it must have been much easier to plan for it.
50 years on and those emergency services are still working, not only on sunday but 24/7.
For the rest sunday is considered leisure time, that's why you see families in Asda or any of the other big stores that open on sunday, they are together spending a day of leisure, may be buying in, or looking for that new TV or Washing Machine or what ever. Visit places like Skipton or Settle on a sunday, it's probabaly one of their best days...........lots of visitors, families spending leisure time together.Visit any of these places during the week, and you will find them full of gentle retired folk, looking for a bargin, or just spending their well earned leisure time browsing round the shops.

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-03-2005, 20:19   #23
Beacon of light

My parents used to give us money for the collection plate at Sunday School, but we never went.......we used to spend the money on toffee......or rather Beech Nut chewing gum and go and spend the time in Oakhill Park. I have to say it was a bit hit and miss, because we never knew what the time was so sometimes we would go home really early (usually when it was raining) and other times it would be going up for tea time.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 23:05   #24
Give, give, give member

[QUOTE=park381]that's why you see families in Asda or any of the other big stores that open on sunday

Like l said earlier, the new 'Cathedrals'.

l wonder if in centuries to come they'll be run by the National Trust, and giving guided tours?

Open on Sundays, 12 Noon- 5pm, of course.

Old 13-03-2005, 23:36   #25

It seems that those of us who go to church on Sunday are in a minority here. I need one day of the week which is totally free from mundane issues. How do you people cope who work/shop etc 7 days a week? Do you not find the lack of a day off to be extremely boring?

I wouldn't regard shopping with the whole family as a leisure activity. It would drive me insane.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 06:35   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
It seems that those of us who go to church on Sunday are in a minority here. I need one day of the week which is totally free from mundane issues. How do you people cope who work/shop etc 7 days a week? Do you not find the lack of a day off to be extremely boring?

I wouldn't regard shopping with the whole family as a leisure activity. It would drive me insane.
Just pay a visit to any of these places on a sunday, have seen them waiting for the doors to open. Check the new B&Q in Blackburn.

Albert Einstein.

Old 14-03-2005, 06:49   #27
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I can't stand to do my shopping on Sunday. If I do get a Sunday off I like to go out for the day, Lake District, Yorkshire or just to have a meal out somewhere or see friends for a catch up. I wish I got more Sundays off but unfortunately that is not to be.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 07:01   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
If I do get a Sunday off I like to go out for the day, Lake District, Yorkshire or just to have a meal out somewhere
Yes I must admit those are nice places to visit, but not on a sunday, to many cars and weekend drivers, best visited during the week if you can.

Albert Einstein.

Old 14-03-2005, 07:04   #29
Give, give, give member

Point noted Lettie, from someone whose essential job involves, l imagine, loads of unsocial hours,is a refeshing one.

Old 14-03-2005, 08:51   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked

I wouldn't regard going to church as a leisure activity. You try sitting for 2 hours listening to a sermon which is enough to cure most people of insomnia, and trying to control 2 bored children for that time. This church didn't have a kids Sunday School, so not a lot of choice in the matter.

The problem was, that I always found church deathly boring anyway, even when I was young.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..