Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2007, 01:15   #16

Re: Surprise Surprise Killer Tiger!!!

To be fair tigers are not and never have been regarded as safe to be around, isnt it basic animal instincts to defend your territory? Especially if provoked, i think its unfair that the blame is being placed on the tiger, any animal or person for that matter would have reacted in a similar way.
Old 27-12-2007, 09:51   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

tigers n the like should not be in cages, saying that,they are n its escaped through whatever reason negligence? possibly, the cops though had no alternative but to shoot it.
Old 27-12-2007, 16:01   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
At the present time I dont think officers of the SFPD carry tranquillizer guns , just magnums and tasers (ok for a rowdy drunk , but I think unadvisable for a man-eating tiger
I think it would be interesting to see what a taser did to a tiger.

The real reason it had to be shot was because Yanks like shooting things. After all how many SFPD cops can tell their mates how they hunted and shot a tiger?
Old 27-12-2007, 17:14   #19
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

its now stating that the tiger might have been let out on purpose, they say she would have had to leap out to get out and enclosure surrounded by an 18ft wall and a 20ft moat is impossible!
the poor tiger should not have been shot dead, like someone on here said they should have used a tranquilizer, the tiger was only doing what any other tiger would do....hunt!!
Old 27-12-2007, 17:44   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
the poor tiger should not have been shot dead, like someone on here said they should have used a tranquilizer, the tiger was only doing what any other tiger would do....hunt!!
yep the tiger was following its instincts , which is to hunt and devour its prey , and that is exactly what it was doing , local reports say the young lad which died had been dragged back to near the enclosure and the tiger was eating the corpse ......you think it should have been allowed to finish him off and then return the leftovers to the family , maybe you think it would be a good idea to have tranquillizer guns available in "break the glass" boxes all around the zoo for easy access in case of emergency ? ...good idea , think not considering the place is a popular hang-out for teenagers .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 20:55   #21
God Member

I think we all know what wild animals are ... I've seen a Moose with a young calf, she was wild, and a hungry grizz in spring, and he was super pi**ed at life in general. But "exotic" is a little more complex. I think it is a functional term rather than an ontological one. Also it is related to how much money you wish to pay for an animal. If it costs a lot it is exoctic. If it turns up on your doorstep looking lost and hungry it is a stray.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 23:38   #22
God Member

Wild animals are those that in general are only kept in national wildlife parks/safari parks, exotics are animals that are generally kept in zoo's/safaris too but with licenses (if possibly a danger to people or are possibly an endangered species) or without, you may be able to keep as a 'pet' in the loosest possible sense, domesticated are your typical 'pet shop' animal, such as hamsters, cats, dogs, some birds, rabbits etc.

The tiger shouldn't have been shot down dead, tigers are classed as an endangered species and it should have been incapacitated. San Francisco has a world famous zoo that surely could have provided tranquilizer guns to deal with the problem.

Its a tiger, not a pussy cat, and if an area has a zoo then its not a good enough excuse to say that its just not equipped with the necessary drugs and guns to incap it.
If someone keeps venomous snakes then they should be expected to keep the anti-venom on premises or it should at least be accessible locally just in case otherwise the animal shouldn't be allowed to be kept. Same goes for tranquilizers when there are animals like the tiger being kept in captivity.

As for animals being kept in cages, I believe its often necessary as some endangered animals, for example the great panda, need monitoring for sexual activity and behaviour patterns and to try and see why they aren't breeding and so on.

Also, zoo's help fund such projects, and without the money that they makes from visitors they wouldn't be able to do what they do.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:41   #23
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Drunk Tiger Victims 'Taunted Animal Before Mauling' |Sky News|World News

if thats the case then its thier own bloody fault!
Old 19-01-2008, 13:29   #24
God Member

Tigers are kept in conservation to aid breeding and such. They might still end up dying out but zoo's prolong the process and its worth an attempt.

Its questionable whether its necessary to keep species' alive though in my opinion. The only real need is for our own entertainment. I cant imagine the world with suffer without tigers/pandas/rhinos/gorillas etc.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 22:02   #25

By the sound of it the victims where asking for trouble.
Old 19-01-2008, 23:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post

Its questionable whether its necessary to keep species' alive though in my opinion. The only real need is for our own entertainment. I cant imagine the world with suffer without tigers/pandas/rhinos/gorillas etc.
Most of the species’ were probably here long before us, depending on how they evolved. They have as much right to be on the planet as we do and probably more right than some of the “throw backs” that walk our streets today. Are you suggesting that you are in favour of some form of genocide with animals ??? Which useless beings shall we move onto next, the aged, the disabled, mentally challenged people, students perhaps…enlighten me

Last edited by Bonnyboy; 19-01-2008 at 23:24.
Bonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 23:29   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Which useless beings shall we move onto next, the aged, the disabled, mentally challenged people, students perhaps…enlighten me
fat people at a guess,going off the track record.
Old 19-01-2008, 23:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
fat people at a guess,going off the track record.
Oh aye ! I forgot about fat people
Old 20-01-2008, 17:00   #29
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

well i suppose she asked for that one

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..