Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2007, 21:55   #1

Surprise Surprise Killer Tiger!!!

Where should the line be drawn on the keeping of wild animals ? Should they be caged at all and put on display for our viewing pleasure ( it seems rather Victorian or summat to me ) What’s your differentiation between Wild, Exotic or domestic animals ? At what stage does an animal become a pet ?
Old 26-12-2007, 21:58   #2

Re: Surprise Surprise Killer Tiger!!!

Saw this story on the news earlier. What i cant understand is why the animal had to be shot, surely a tranquiliser would have been enough? And i dont believe animals should be kept in cages ever.
Old 26-12-2007, 22:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Saw this story on the news earlier. What i cant understand is why the animal had to be shot, surely a tranquiliser would have been enough? And i dont believe animals should be kept in cages ever.
I'm guessing a tranquiliser would have taken several minutes to take effect, seeing as it was either gnawing on it's victim or heading towards the cops ( it was doing one of the two ) I would say the bullet was the only option at that time. Don't believe in caging animals myself, having said that I keep a budgie, his door is open all day. Just wondering where AccyWebbers would draw their line.
Old 26-12-2007, 22:26   #4
Resident Waffler

I don't believe exotic animals should be kept as pets or in confines spaces in zoos, but if it's safari parks and they are endangered species which may otherwise die out in the wild I think there can be a case for human intervention, but people should treat them with respect and realise they are wild animals and not pussy cats.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 22:36   #5

Wild, Exotic, Domestic...where is the differentiation, thats what I am asking, where is the line drawn on each catagory
Old 26-12-2007, 22:37   #6
Resident Waffler

Well tigers are certainly not domestic pets.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 22:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
It had to be shot because it had killed one person and two others are still in San Francisco General being sewn back up , its also well to note the same animal one year ago this week chewed the arm off a zoo employee .
At the present time I dont think officers of the SFPD carry tranquillizer guns , just magnums and tasers (ok for a rowdy drunk , but I think unadvisable for a man-eating tiger ....
....seems to be a bit more to the story , items coming out in dribs and drabs , one thing being investigated is wether the youths involved were teasing/tempting the animal with scraps of food (the incident happened near the food stall area) also in question is how the cage got open ( zoo employees have stated that opening the cages/feeding only happens out of park opening hours, )
Interesting to note , the Zoo has been recieving calls from 'herbalists' in the local Chinese community asking if the animal carcass will be for sale , seems many tiger parts (including the penis) are highly valued as traditional medicines
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 22:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Well tigers are certainly not domestic pets.
Well, ok. In that case do you consider them to be Wild or Exotic ? Are tigers exotic, warthogs wild ? Pumas exotic, hyenas wild ? Maybe it's a mindset thing eg. I consider snakes to be wild, mainly because I dont like them
Old 26-12-2007, 22:56   #9

i would say safari parks are much more suitable for there lifestyle i fink its cruel avin them as pets
Old 26-12-2007, 23:00   #10
God Member

Quote:
As Steeljack has said this tiger had killed before, there is more to this story that wiil undoubtably come out as time goes on. Got to agree Speedy wild animals shouldn't be kept in cages
Old 26-12-2007, 23:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
It had to be shot because it had killed one person and two others are still in San Francisco General being sewn back up , its also well to note the same animal one year ago this week chewed the arm off a zoo employee .
At the present time I dont think officers of the SFPD carry tranquillizer guns , just magnums and tasers (ok for a rowdy drunk , but I think unadvisable for a man-eating tiger ....
....seems to be a bit more to the story , items coming out in dribs and drabs , one thing being investigated is wether the youths involved were teasing/tempting the animal with scraps of food (the incident happened near the food stall area) also in question is how the cage got open ( zoo employees have stated that opening the cages/feeding only happens out of park opening hours, )
Interesting to note , the Zoo has been recieving calls from 'herbalists' in the local Chinese community asking if the animal carcass will be for sale , seems many tiger parts (including the penis) are highly valued as traditional medicines
If it turns out that there were idiots antagonising the beast they certainly got a response to their provocation. Having said that, they should not have been doing so. They should have been protected by the zoo, it is a public place. Bet there will be some Mega compensation paid out
Old 26-12-2007, 23:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
As Steeljack has said this tiger had killed before, there is more to this story that wiil undoubtably come out as time goes on. Got to agree Speedy wild animals shouldn't be kept in cages
I agree about the "wild animals should't be kept in cages" statement think most of us are. Whats the definintion of Wild as oppsed to Exotic. Are not all animals wild.
Old 26-12-2007, 23:16   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I agree about the "wild animals should't be kept in cages" statement think most of us are. Whats the definintion of Wild as oppsed to Exotic. Are not all animals wild.
Should imagine that exotic creatures are also wild. Will stand corrected if that statement is wrong. But from the little bit I saw on the news tonight all the security was in place to protect people, it seems that security has been breached.
Old 26-12-2007, 23:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Should imagine that exotic creatures are also wild. Will stand corrected if that statement is wrong. But from the little bit I saw on the news tonight all the security was in place to protect people, it seems that security has been breached.
I wasn’t really referring to this particular incident in the news at the moment ( although it did prompt the thread ) Dunno what their security arrangements were in this instance, obviously not up to scratch tho. Just thought I’d pose a question ‘cause it seemed a tad quiet on site
Old 27-12-2007, 00:24   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I wasn’t really referring to this particular incident in the news at the moment ( although it did prompt the thread ) Dunno what their security arrangements were in this instance, obviously not up to scratch tho. Just thought I’d pose a question ‘cause it seemed a tad quiet on site
Know you wern't but it seems there was plenty of security after last incident but that was breached. As for initial question just let all exotic/dangerous creatures live in their own habitat.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..