Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2012, 06:02   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Tanker Driver' Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
And to think, people laughed when I bought that solar powered car. I knew, just knew, I would use it one day. Who's laughing now?
Is it possible to keep sunshine in a jerry can in the shed, for those long Accy winters?

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2012, 07:10   #47
JFT96

Well I have heard of Buckets of sunshine, but I don't think that's what you wanted Gynn.

Bucket of Sunshine - ARRSEpedia

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 08:14   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I used to buy it for 40 cents a gallon ... guess all that shows is how old I'm gettin' But I was driving a '69 Dodge Charger with a 383 Magnum, six pack of carbs, headers ... that beast would pass anything but a gas station ... so the cheaper the better when you are getting about 12 miles to the gallon.
Is it 3.79 litre US gallons or real English 4.56 litre ones that you use?
Old 29-03-2012, 08:20   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i asked tonight and accy asda didnt run out of fuel today and has a delivery later tonight but the ques were big earlier today with panic buyers
I filled up at Asda at about 8.30am this morning with no problem and no queue
Old 29-03-2012, 08:49   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Is it 3.79 litre US gallons or real English 4.56 litre ones that you use?
Honestly Neil, I can't remember. It's been over forty years since we went metric.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 09:03   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Not for all of us Eric
I was just reading one of the "Taxi" threads ... I can't ever remember taking a cab in Accy. It was the bus or the train (you know you are getting old when you remember when the train fare from Accy to Ossy was three ha'pence single) And if you had dropped all your brass in the Black Dog, it was Shanks' pony all the way home. And only once did I fall into the cut
Old 29-03-2012, 09:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
went shopping at Asda, hyndburn road,this afternoon and the petrol station was closed off with cones. Just wondered if panic buying exhausted supplies, dont know for sure as there was nothing posted to say why
Yea the two garages near where I live in St Annes are closed and now there is a mile long of cars blocking the road near Morrisons, the nearest other garage in Blackpool. Still. Im with the strikers, theres enough madness on the roads without making the tanker drivers rush to make deliveries....sheer madness and dangerous
Old 29-03-2012, 09:38   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The Fire Brigade Union secretary "stressed it was against the law to store more than 10 litres of petrol in two 5 litre plastic containers in the home — a full-sized jerry can holds 22 litres." according to the Evening Standard. But a jerrycan is not a plastic container and expressly designed for holding and pouring fuel so not illegal.
Jerry cans are marked as 20 litre, the extra space is for expansion.
Our cars are both diesel. I would not store large amounts of petrol at home, we usually have a 5 litre can for the mower/pressure washer.

There is no restriction on how much diesel you can store at home. Oil burning heating boilers burn red diesel so many homes could have around 2000 litres of the stuff at home usually in a plastic tank these days.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:11   #54
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Does petrol in jerry cans go off over time? Turns to a gooey mess, perhaps?
Yes, it does.

We empty all our fuel containers in November and don't refill them over the winter season because our gardening machinery runs abysmally if we use petrol that is even a few months old.

The fuel companies must be laughing all the way to the bank this week.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 12:58   #55
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
They will be yes but those that filled up and dont usually wont be buying any for a while so its swings and roundabouts.

I think the government are pulling a fast one. Everyones cars will be full so a strike over Easter will have little impact but the truck drivers are being blamed anyway.

Its people like me who have to fill up every week that would have a problem if there were real shortages.
Old 29-03-2012, 14:07   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Yes, it does.

We empty all our fuel containers in November and don't refill them over the winter season because our gardening machinery runs abysmally if we use petrol that is even a few months old.

Can't you guys buy gasoline stabilizer over there? I use it in my bike when I store it for the winter. Some brands claim to be effective for two years.
Old 29-03-2012, 14:09   #57
God Member

Sorry ... "petrol stabilizer"
Old 29-03-2012, 15:38   #58
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Sorry ... "petrol stabilizer"
Sounds like someone has gone native, and what's with the 'z'???

It's not something I've heard of to be honest but the only thing we tend to use during winter is the chainsaw, the blower and the hedge cutter so one 2-stroke petrol can tends to be enough at any one time instead of the seven or eight we usually have on the go with the fleet in summer. All the tools get serviced during winter so to be honest it is a good opportunity for us to run down stocks of everything and buy fresh supplies in February when we start up again.

Fortunately, I had just filled all our cans on Tuesday ahead of this little announcement but if there really does end up being a fuel shortage we'll be pretty knackered in terms of garden maintenance as everything runs on petrol.

The government's timing just doesn't smell right on this one, I'm afraid.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 16:00   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They will be yes but those that filled up and dont usually wont be buying any for a while so its swings and roundabouts.
Agreed.

People aren't going to drive further than they need to, just because their tank's are full.

Some might drive less. Fearing a strike, and not wanting to waste any.

Though the government will have got a £32 million early cash injection in fuel duty, after yesterday's scaremongering.

PETROL QUEUES: £32 million fuel duty bonus from panic buying - AA (From South Wales Argus)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 16:12   #60
God Member

read today that 67% is fuel duty and then the government gets vat on top of that as an extra earner

governments past and present blame the price of a barrell of oil ,a war going on or now irans nuclear policy and seem to think that the %67 fuel duty isnt part of teh problem at all

5 years ago it was 87p per litre theres absolutely no excuse what so ever for teh prices we are paying today other than motorists are an easy target.

how much revenue must the government genearte through the motorists either directly or indirectly?

fuel tax
fuel vat
road tax
insurance
M.O.T
parking fees
parking fines
speeding fines from cameras and mobile units

they should be giving us fuel for free to keep us on teh road so they can keep screwing us

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..