Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2006, 18:44   #1

Teenager banned from wearing a crucifix

When is this stupidity ever going to stop?????

TEENAGE Christian has been banned from wearing a treasured crucifix by her high school.
Jamie Derman, 17, said she was stunned when told she could be suspended from Sunbury Downs Secondary College if she did not remove it.
Her discreet cross was outlawed as part of the multicultural college's new rules on jewellery and dress.
But major churches were united yesterday in criticising the ban, with some saying it thwarted students' religious aspirations.
Ms Derman said she was being discriminated against and prevented from displaying her belief.
"`I am angry, confused and upset," the teenager said.
"I honestly believe I should be allowed to acknowledge (my Christianity).
"Being told to take it off hurts. It cuts really deep."
The cross, which she bought during a family pilgrimage to England, had immense sentimental value because she had lost her baptism gifts, Ms Derman said.
"I can't understand why it is not all right for me to wear a cross," she said.
"I honestly felt like crying."
Her furious father, Gordon, criticised the school and said it was the equivalent of ordering a female Muslim student to take off a religious head dress.
"Nobody should take offence to anybody wearing a religious sign," Mr Derman said.
"She has a right to wear it. I believe it is discriminatory. If we had a Muslim girl come wearing a headscarf, nobody would say `boo' about it."
Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne auxiliary bishop Christopher Prouse said genuine Christians should be allowed to wear a crucifix without question.
"A reasonable demonstration of one's faith is something Australians should rejoice in," Bishop Prouse said.
"People's religious aspirations need to be respected."
Anglican Bishop John Wilson, bishop administrator of the Anglican archdiocese of Melbourne, said the wearing of a cross reminded Christians of their faith and could be a source of comfort and strength.
The Uniting Church also questioned the ban.
"Wearing discreet religious symbols is a normal part of life, " a church spokesman said.

Sunbury Downs principal Brett Moore said teachers had enforced a dress code policy instigated by the school council.
"It is not my decision, it is the policy," he said. "Necklaces should not be visible."
Mr Moore said the policy was supported by the majority of parents.

"The policy has been implemented. If the family wishes to seek an exemption there is a process by which that can occur."
Mr Derman said he had tried to discuss the issue with the school, but had not been offered any exemption.
The Department of Education and Training said it did not get involved in uniform policies.
A school's dress code was set by the school council in close consultation with teachers, parents and students to reflect the values of the school community, spokeswoman Lisa Mulhall said.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2006, 18:51   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Teenager banned from wearing a crucifix

It's simple really;she broke the school rules on the wearing of jewellery.End of story.Religion doesn't and shouldn't come into it.Just like schools banning pierced ears and extreme hairstyles.
Old 23-08-2006, 18:59   #3
I am Band

Unhappy Re: Teenager banned from wearing a crucifix

When I glanced at this article, I immediately thought it was the Looney Left PC brigade trying to impose their will on the rest of us again. I was surprised, when reading more closely that this incedent occurred in Melbourne, Australia.

Mr Talentedbutslow you have my sympathy. Once these cretins get their feet under the table, common sense goes out of the window. I hope your country doesn't degenerate to the levels that Britain now wallows in, due to over zealous mind-police imposing their will on their fellow citizens.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 19:21   #4
Senior Member+

Hang on a minute;read it again.She was not told to remove it because it was a crucifix,she was told to remove it because it contravened the school rules on jewellery. Don't see a probem with that except the Press trying to put a religious slant on it.
Old 23-08-2006, 20:12   #5
Always EVIL within us

"Her discreet cross was outlawed as part of the multicultural college's new rules on jewellery and dress."

I wonder if it is just a case of the school banning jewellery - or is it the media putting a slant on the story by using the word "multicultural?"
Old 23-08-2006, 20:30   #6
Senior Member+

My thoughts exactly Busman;whatever she had round her neck was in contravention of the school dress code,be it a crucifix,a rosary or a dog tag with her name on! Let's not jump on the religious persecution bus at every opportunity eh?
Old 23-08-2006, 20:37   #7
mez
God Member

and we all know what the media can stir up ........ im in agreement with lyndsy over this one ...just the school doing its job ie: no jewellry in schools .
Old 23-08-2006, 21:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
and we all know what the media can stir up ........ im in agreement with lyndsy over this one ...just the school doing its job ie: no jewellry in schools .
Exactly. I totally agree!
Old 23-08-2006, 21:33   #9

YES MUSLIMS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO WEAR HEAD SCARVES AND ROBES ALL THE **** TIME. RARGH..

Threads like these really do no favours for my racial tension.

Last edited by Len; 23-08-2006 at 22:07. Reason: You know!
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 21:37   #10
Resting in Peace

This one again, eh ? Yeh, as far as I am concerned zero tolerance with school uniform, like it or lump it. Basic rules .. have to conform in later life if necessary to wear a uniform, so best place to start is school. Only a piece of metal anyway .. if this girl is a true Christian, should be in the heart, not with some sort of jewellery probably made in China .. can always wear it after hours, what difference will it make ?

Schools ask you not to wear it for good reasons...safety, danger of theft and if they give in to one type, goodness knows what would follow. How can parents not support the school, beats me.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 21:45   #11

Do you not think it is a bit too far and PC just over a piece of metal?

She was threatened to get suspended over it! Its ridiculous!

I wish it was me I really do, because Id of said suspend me then!
Old 23-08-2006, 21:48   #12

I totally agree with Katex.......
And lol at Morgan_brotherz....what he says is so so true....eg In PE, we had no choice but to wear shorts, even in winter, but Muslims were allowed to wear cosy wooly pants....loverly!...and yes, it IS ridiculous....i got 'done' constantly for wearing my earrings.....i just put them back on after lesson...the next teacher didn't bat an eyelid....if they have rules at least be consistant!!!....well now at college they don't care so...
Lea
x

Last edited by ploppysirploppy; 23-08-2006 at 21:50.
ploppysirploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 21:55   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz

I wish it was me I really do, because Id of said suspend me then!
Would your parents have supported you morgan_brotherz ?.. mmmmm think not somehow.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 21:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
YES MUSLIMS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO WEAR HEAD SCARVES AND ROBES
Different schools have different rules they must comply.
Shane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 22:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Would your parents have supported you morgan_brotherz ?.. mmmmm think not somehow.
No. Id of got suspended from my house aswel probably lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..