Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 12:38   #76
Senior Member+

Re: tele licence

I would'nt mind but i do have a licence but they dont want to come and see it!!
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2006, 12:40   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
In.

If there were no licence fee the government would have to get the money to run the BBC by increasing taxes or close the BBC down. .
If the BBC is so good, then it should be able to exist like any other commercial channel - by advertising revenue. It carries large volumes of advertisments already - for itself. I am sick and tired of having to watch idiots poncing around in wheelchairs or dangling from some rooftop in the increasingly-long intermission between programmes. How much money is wasted on this? Not only that, it's political neutrality has long gone - it now has an agenda lying somewhere between that of the Liberal Sodomites - sorry, "Democrats" - and Al-Quida. The sooner it goes, the better.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:41   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I don't object so much to the licence fee, what I object to is the Big Brother attitude of the Licensing people. London is peppered with ads on buses and tube stations saying virtually "We know where you live". "Get in touch with us. If you don't - fine". Nice play on the word "fine" there.

We have had endless trouble with these people. We do not have a TV licence because we do not have a TV. However, when David wrote to tell them this, they wrote back saying "Fine, thank you, but we want access to your home to check" - i.e. we think you're lying. We refused access, and the whole process of letters, visits, etc, started again. THIS IS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!! Big Brother says that he can park his detector van outside your property and tell you which room your TV is in, even if it is switched off. Fine. Do that. It wastes less money. It might be interesting to see how much of the licence fee is wasted on pursuing people who choose not to have TVs.
If you dont have a telly Pendy where do you point all your furniture?
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:43   #79
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
If you dont have a telly Pendy where do you point all your furniture?
Round the fire and under the reading lamp!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 14:28   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I am sick and tired of having to watch idiots poncing around in wheelchairs or dangling from some rooftop in the increasingly-long intermission between programmes. How much money is wasted on this?
The last time they changed the between programme logos it cost sixty millon pounds.

I also agree, they do advertise already, themselves, for approximately six minutes per hour.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 20:10   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
If the BBC is so good, then it should be able to exist like any other commercial channel - by advertising revenue. It carries large volumes of advertisments already - for itself. How much money is wasted on this?
Not that I make a point of agreeing with you but on this one I think I might have to!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 07-02-2006 at 20:12.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:09   #82
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
The last time they changed the between programme logos it cost sixty millon pounds.
£60,000,000 WOW. Why don't they just make the programes a tad longer or start them sooner? Oh yes I know the answer to my own question. The programes have to be that length so the adverts fit when they sell them to other TV stations like UKGold and others.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:38   #83
God Member

If they can sell their "offerings" then why do we still get reamed for more money every year?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 15:46   #84
Give, give, give member

The Independent reports on the BBC’s expenses bill, which under the Freedom of Information Act is open to public scrutiny. The corporation spent £19.5m on flights and £16m on accommodation. Director general Mark Thompson’s expenses bill apparently included £8.75 on a meal in a motorway cafe and £1.75 for a phone call.

Old 08-02-2006, 16:09   #85
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The Independent reports on the BBC’s expenses bill, which under the Freedom of Information Act is open to public scrutiny. The corporation spent £19.5m on flights and £16m on accommodation. Director general Mark Thompson’s expenses bill apparently included £8.75 on a meal in a motorway cafe and £1.75 for a phone call.

While I have a bee in my bonnet, the BBC paid Graham Norton 3.5 million pounds in 2003, when they poached him from Channel 4. They didn't even have a vehicle planned for him at the time.

In the time since then he's presented a disco dancing competition and a thirty five minute chat show, which started airing on Fridays this year.

Will this expense bring the Beeb more viewers? I think not.

The money could have been better spent nurturing new talent, but the BBC seems to think 'it's' money is better spent aping the more successful proframmes from independent television companies.

Old 08-02-2006, 17:03   #86
Apprentice Geriatric

I accept that the BBC does splash out money like confetti but that is a different issue to the TV licence.
Old 08-02-2006, 19:33   #87
God Member

Quote:
I accept that the BBC does splash out money like confetti but that is a different issue to the TV licence.
Disagree with that JB since they throw this money about without a care then havethe audacity to ask for more and as a rule they get it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 20:01   #88
God Member

Quote:
Why is it a different issue - we pay our licence, they use £3.5m of it to pay for a presenter that has barely presented any programmes since he got poached?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 21:17   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:
They could do what they hell they like with their money, if they still weren't primarily funded by the licence fee.

Granada television could line the bar of the Rovers Return in gold leaf if they so wished, the fact is they have earned their right to do so by competing in the market place, something the BBC doesn't have to do at the moment.

BBC Scotland spent sixty million pounds on a Scottish soap that we don't even get here, and not many people in Scotland bother to watch either.

Then there was the financial disaster El Doraldo, the soap set in Spain with it's purpose built set and cast of muppets.................

Old 08-02-2006, 21:32   #90
God Member

Quote:
BBC Scotland spent sixty million pounds on a Scottish soap that we don't even get here, and not many people in Scotland bother to watch either.
I would not recommend River City to anyone not even as a form of punishment. It has been a huge waste of money and air time. Bring back Take The High Road.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..