Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Are you in favour or against the new Tesco being built?
In Favour 27 42.86%
Against 26 41.27%
indifferent 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2007, 09:13   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Tesco Poll (With Poll this time!)

Most of the 450 jobs will be part time, and pay the minimum wage, and thus not many families would be supported by that money.

There would be the same number of jobs created if it was built in an out of town location, and many jobs would also be saved in Accrington, in the businesses that will be affected by Tescos being built at the proposed location.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-10-2007, 09:23   #17
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Most of the 450 jobs will be part time, and pay the minimum wage, and thus not many families would be supported by that money.
And we all know that locals will not get the jobs, its another excuse to bring a few more Eastern Europeans over and bleed the local services dry.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 09:42   #18

anything has got to be better than the currect appearance with a couple of caravans, loads of rubbish and a few dogs that roam. I for one would actually start shopping in accy again instead of blackburn, it would help local economy and 450 part time jobs has got to be better than none.

If it was an out of town site, there would go more green land, and bigger excuse to go out of town. The market tends to aim for a different custom base anyway, and i know as far as my lazy ass is concerned, i might actually be tempted to park at the tesco and have a wonder into town again, instead of facing the nightmar trawl of either parking behing B&M or braving the arndale.

Besides I doubt it will be built, after all, its not a pound shop and accy seems to welcome all of them with open arms :-"
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 09:43   #19

i meant 'wander' of course lol
Old 21-10-2007, 10:15   #20
Resting in Peace

As mentioned before, depends whether they give you a time restriction on your parking on their car park .. some supermarkets do charge town shoppers for long stay.

I think most people once they have been in the store will load up, think about it and say "Oh, let's just go home" .. particularly if the weather is warm and freezer goods in the boot of your car.

I feel like Panther, they are not quite as good as the others at the moment. I did actually go to the one in Blackburn yesterday because it was convenient on my way out, however, didn't find as good a choice (on the items I wanted) as the others. I don't think their food goods are of the same quality either. AND, they had run out of my brand of fags . had to call at the Co-op in Clayton.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 10:17   #21
God Member

I haven't seen the plans but are they building a petrol station with it ?

This will affect my vote as Clubcard points are the better option of all the garage reward offers
Old 21-10-2007, 11:11   #22

Havent heard of a tesco yet that gives a maximum time- theyd better not start either cos with my lack of decisiveness, takes me ages to do a simple shop lol.

Think any new investment into Hyndburn and Accrington in particular has to be a good thing- stops us being forgotten lol

Ya never know, the council might actually start looking at the houses at the bottom of Belfield rd and wonder why theyre boarded up with bars on and do summat about it lol??
Old 21-10-2007, 17:34   #23
Resting in Peace

Do we know whether this is going to be a Tesco Extra ? If so, the range of all types of retail goods is huge .. practically will sell anything you can/can't buy in the town centre.

It will have to sit well with URBED's consultations on the town centre masterplan too, or will defeat the object
Old 21-10-2007, 17:51   #24
Senior Member+

[quote=garinda;483488]Most of the 450 jobs will be part time, and pay the minimum wage, and thus not many families would be supported by that money.
quote]

most of them wont be part time and quite a few wont pay the minimum wage - (ie full time staff and management) I know this for a fact as I was offered a job with tesco at one point along with many other folk I worked with when they took over the haslingden site - I spent 3 days with their folk from tesco head office regarding my position where I was shown the employee/staff ladder and layout for haslingden...and the part time staff there were only a small percentage and the salary they offered me was not minimum wage - and I know the guys I worked with who work there just now and at burnley are not on minimum wage..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 17:57   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
most of them wont be part time and quite a few wont pay the minimum wage - (ie full time staff and management) I know this for a fact as I was offered a job with tesco at one point along with many other folk I worked with when they took over the haslingden site - I spent 3 days with their folk from tesco head office regarding my position where I was shown the employee/staff ladder and layout for haslingden...and the part time staff there were only a small percentage and the salary they offered me was not minimum wage - and I know the guys I worked with who work there just now and at burnley are not on minimum wage..
450, mainly full time staff?

Well I believe you, you seem to know.

The only time I've been there, I've seen about thirty people working there, tops.

Perhaps all the rest are filling sacks of money to send to Tesco heiress, and disgraced Tory politican, Dame Shirley Porter in Israel.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 18:04   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
450, mainly full time staff?

Well I believe you, you seem to know.

The only time I've been there, I've seen about thirty people working there, tops.

Perhaps all the rest are filling sacks of money to send to Tesco heiress, and disgraced Tory politican, Dame Shirley Porter in Israel.
didnt say mainly full time...I said a small percentage which were made up of night time shelf fillers and some checkout staff...
and I refused their job offer cos my pride got the better of me - cos I had just been made redundant due to them buying the haslingden site..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 18:20   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Tesco's is off my list too, shan't go there, the amount of stuff that my sister has had to take back to the Haslingden one for being past the sell by date is rediculous
She must be a bit dolly then. I check the dates on most things I buy. I thought everyone did.
Old 21-10-2007, 18:25   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
She must be a bit dolly then. I check the dates on most things I buy. I thought everyone did.
Whoops must now be a member of the dolly crowd .. I never do, trust the Supermarket to keep up-to-date and besides, usually forget to take me reading glasses with me, and can't be asking every young person to read it for me..
Old 21-10-2007, 18:36   #29
God Member

Quote:
So do I if you are buying for a week it makes sense to check the display/use date
Old 21-10-2007, 19:50   #30

Quote:
Must admit, I never check the sell by date on anything. Is it actually legal to have stuff on the shelves that are out of date. I know there is a sell by and use by date but in the eyes of the law is this just a guideline...Perhaps someone will know

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..