Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2006, 21:46   #1
Senior Member+

That old church in rising bridge...

the one thats been on sale forever...

what would the buyer do with the graves?surely its way old right? and the church doesnt seem to have been used for the past few yrs

would u have much opposition if say u wanted to knock it down? wouldnt be much point if u cudnt and re-use the land.

i thought they wud've sorted the issues out and given the land to the school
Old 24-09-2006, 22:10   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: That old church in rising bridge...

You wouldn't have to knock it down. Have you never seen old churches converted............ if you'll pardon the pun. Some terrific houses and even flats have been made from them without needing to demolish the building. I'm not sure about the graves. When that garage was built on the New Jerusalem graveyard on Abbey Street they dug them up didn't they and re-interred them elsewhere. The same happened with the old Macpelah graveyard on Hyndburn Rd.

It might be a listed building in which case the buyer wouldn't be allowed to change some things. As for giving the land away to the school I can't imagine the Church of England giving anything away and maybe it would be more of a liability than an asset to the school - there are probably all sort of loopholes and red tape

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 24-09-2006 at 22:15.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 22:25   #3
God Member

Mani the church was sold by the church of england a few month ago and the person who bought it got planning permission to change it into a house and then put it up for sale with planning permission. The churchyard is still open i know that because there are graves still to be used. Until theyve been used as far as i know its still open. If they try to say the people who are buried there have to be moved i will be very unhappy. I will fight it as much as i can. My mum & dad are buried there.

I dont know who would want to live there anyway - surrounded by a graveyard and people coming and visiting the graves, burials still going on, the garage across the road, the roundabout next to it, bang on the corner so how are you going to have access for your car? Mind you i have seen people looking round it.

Last edited by shillelagh; 24-09-2006 at 22:31.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 22:29   #4
Resident Waffler

It would be a bit weird having a graveyard as your garden wouldn't it? Presumably if the graveyard is still in use then it still belongs to the church - in which case does the potential house have it's own right of way as far as the pavement and road?

Old 24-09-2006, 22:34   #5
God Member

I'll go and take a photo of it tomorrow willow. The churchyard is on 3 sides of it.
Old 24-09-2006, 22:42   #6
Resident Waffler

I've been past a few times but never really stopped to look closely. I'd have thought they'd have sorted out the access to graveyard and separated it from the building before they sold the building. I mean was that land part of the sale or not and if not then where does the boundary lie? And if it was part of the sale are the new owners responsible for the upkeep of the graves? It could be a minefield.

I saw one of those programs on TV where people buy a house at auction and then do it up and they bought a chapel in the middle of a big cemetary. They had to keep the exterior the same but could do changes to the insides to make it into a house. The only access to it though was through the graveyard. Could be a problem in the future if the owners of the cemetary refused them access.

Old 24-09-2006, 23:42   #7
Resting in peace

Not a very smart investment, the only people who have been given the nod to move graves, gave it to themselves, the council.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 23:50   #8
I am Banned

my friend looked into buying that church but access and parking wasnt up to much for what he wanted it for

ime not sure but isnt it a listed building and prevents it been demolished?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 07:26   #9
Resident Waffler

You could always park in McDonalds car park Chav!

Old 25-09-2006, 07:51   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
Not a very smart investment, the only people who have been given the nod to move graves, gave it to themselves, the council.
What?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 08:00   #11
Resident Waffler

The council doesn't even own that land. The CofE does/did/does. Prsumably if the graveyard is still in use then it wasn't sold along with the church.

Old 25-09-2006, 17:20   #12

So does this mean the church is in Accy? I always get confused about this. Rising Bridge and Baxenden I mean. Some people say they are sepearte villages, others say their part of Accy. Does anybody know.

And on the subject of the graveyard, at least it guarantees quiet neighbours if you buy that church.
Old 25-09-2006, 18:53   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk
So does this mean the church is in Accy? I always get confused about this. Rising Bridge and Baxenden I mean. Some people say they are sepearte villages, others say their part of Accy. Does anybody know.

And on the subject of the graveyard, at least it guarantees quiet neighbours if you buy that church.
The church is in Rising Bridge. Rising Bridge is in Rossendale pay council tax to rossendale, telephone numbers rossendale. Postal Address is Accrington though. Baxenden is in Hyndburn. They pay their council taxes to Hyndburn & telephone numbers are Accrington. They are separate villages. Rising Bridge starts at the roundabout and ends at hollands pies. Baxenden starts just after hollands and where hyndburn starts.

Quiet neighbours okay the graveyard but what about the garage & lorry park, macdonalds, little chef across the road and the roundabout next to it?

Sorry no pics - due to unforeseen circumstances didnt get the camera till 7.15 sorry will do it tomorrow.

Last edited by shillelagh; 25-09-2006 at 19:11.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..