Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 23:37   #1
Give, give, give member

The already invented invention.

Since last week I have now to take a combination of drugs for Parkinson's every four hours that I'm awake.

It used to be three times a day, which was nice and easy, as I just had them at meal times.

I'm finding it a real pain, as I sleep such strange hours, and the times I have to take them is different everyday. Sometimes the first one's at 7am, or maybe 8.15am, and you have to remember the four hourly intervals all day long.

I've tried setting the alarm on my phone, but you have to keep resetting it, which is a pain.

Wouldn't it be good if there was a pillbox that had a timer, that alerted you everytime you need a dose of drugs, thought I.

A quick search on Google, revealed that lots of other people must have thought the same thing before myself, as there are literally hundreds of different models on the market.

Being tight, and wanting to save on postage if possible, I'll hang fire on the one I've selected, and first see if they sell them in Accrington at the weekend.

Wonderful thing, the internet.

Without it I might have pitched the idea on Dragon's Den, only to be told the product I'd invented was already in the shops.

Anyone else thought they'd come up with something new and unique, only to find someone else has beaten them to it?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2007, 23:45   #2
God Member

Re: The already invented invention.

Rindy ther is a pillbox that reminds you to take your pills ...
my bro has just been given one .Ihavent seen it yet but from what i can gather it bleeps if you forget to take them and if you dont hear the beep it sends a signal to his warden so that they can ring him to tell him to take them .. dunno all the ins and outs of it but it does exist
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 23:50   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Rindy ther is a pillbox that reminds you to take your pills ...
my bro has just been given one .Ihavent seen it yet but from what i can gather it bleeps if you forget to take them and if you dont hear the beep it sends a signal to his warden so that they can ring him to tell him to take them .. dunno all the ins and outs of it but it does exist
Thanks.

I've found loads of them, and will buy a natty little red one online, if they don't sell them in Accy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 23:50   #4
God Member

I am not inventive in that way, but always find an alternative use for things.
I have a steel towel rail wall mounted in the kitchen from which my pans hang from butchers hooks.
A mobile vegetable rack in the bathroom which has slide out shelves of toiletries and towels.
A steel PC trolley in the kitchen provides me with a 'brewing up' area, and the slide out keyboard shelf has my butter dish for sandwich making
A kitchen timer in the bedroom ensures my daytime naps last no longer than one hour.
I call that being inventive

Last edited by MargaretR; 14-11-2007 at 23:53.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 23:57   #5
God Member

Had an idea for a braile monitor when I was in high school. Already done though it turns out
Old 14-11-2007, 23:58   #6

I've thought of several things that I thought at first were my own ideas...when I realised they had already been thunk of I banished the buggers forever. Hopefully I will remember them and add them to the thread as I do.......buggered if I can think of them at the min.
Old 15-11-2007, 00:16   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thanks.

I've found loads of them, and will buy a natty little red one online, if they don't sell them in Accy.

RED!!!! oooo you wantan little mare
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 06:27   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I've thought of several things that I thought at first were my own ideas...when I realised they had already been thunk of I banished the buggers forever. Hopefully I will remember them and add them to the thread as I do.......buggered if I can think of them at the min.

I know that feeling. I've thought of a few things but once I knew they already existed I forgot about them.

I think one was something to do with clothes pegs but it didn't sell.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 07:10   #9
God Member

I've had two major ones, one I'll tell you the other I'm still working out the best way to go about it as it involves another companies product in an innovative way

Led in bed one summer night after a summer shower the window was open and all I could hear all night was teh "drip, drip drip " of the water falling the length of the drainpipe and hitting the bend at the bottom. My idea was to have a very coarse internal 'screw thread' running the length of the pipe so that water could only ever fall 4 or 5 inches then it would by surface tension be 'rifled' down the pipe and out. This would make it near silent. Made out of silicoln rubber or something iI could even be sold as an 'aftermarket' product that you add to the drainpipes that are troublesome.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 08:09   #10
Senior Member+

summat that you stick on your washing line that bleeps when its raining.... already done

oh, and a double buggy that turns into a single......

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 09:48   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
My idea was to have a very coarse internal 'screw thread' running the length of the pipe so that water could only ever fall 4 or 5 inches
Try a couple of 45 bends at the top of the pipe. That should catch the dripping water and make it run down the inside wall of the pipe. Your downpipe must be absolutely vertical for that to happen. Maybe making it slightly off vertical will cure it as well.
Old 15-11-2007, 10:02   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe making it slightly off vertical will cure it as well.
That's good 'lateral thinking'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 10:23   #13
white rabbits

i wish i could invent a self cleaning house......but alas
Old 15-11-2007, 10:37   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Try a couple of 45 bends at the top of the pipe. That should catch the dripping water and make it run down the inside wall of the pipe. Your downpipe must be absolutely vertical for that to happen. Maybe making it slightly off vertical will cure it as well.
But then it will look skew wiff and Julie will complain at me to straighten it back up

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 10:55   #15
God Member

My mum thought of a really good idea for a pie once and said she was going to have a go and see if it'd work out right, but she hasnt done it yet, though i'm still optimistic! I'll have a nag at her to see if she'll give it a go and try it out, and if it works out good, we'll copyright the recipe or whatever haha and then you can know what it is

dont think they're keen to invest in recipes/food on dragons den though as its apparently a hard business to get into, but there was a guy that pitched 'reggae reggae sauce' on their and he's doing really well now So I guess they might take it on lol.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..