Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What should happen?
Restore the monument, shelter and paths 49 90.74%
Remove the monument and shelter and leave it alone 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2007, 15:12   #76

Re: The Coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
The trees need to come down: there are far too many and it spoils the view:
The original name of the coppice is North rake. Look at all the old maps. It was also originally wooded. The bare coppice everyone remembers fron the 50s, 60s and 70s wasn't how its always been and was an eyesore. Just look at the pic. If it hadn't been planted it would have all started eroding like the "eagle" or devils bit as we used to call it. It didn't help that we always used to slide down the side on cardboard every summer, scorching all the grass.
I personally think the coppice is iles better than it used to be, just needs a little trim for all the shortarses to be able to have a view and all the vandals want hanging by their wotsits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bert3.jpg (68.3 KB, 29 views)
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2007, 18:09   #77
Senior Member+

No that is not a eyesore the current coppice is a eyesore. Stick a few trees on a nice monument for peels and the pals and bang restored . When they were going to do the Hollywood style 'Accrington', They were going to make a pals walk this should be one idea.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 18:16   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

entitled to yer opinion ChrisMg, but i do not think it was an eyesore in 50s/60s, what it is now is an eyesore.
Old 19-11-2007, 18:40   #79

I agree the monument and shelter need sorting, but a wooded coppice is better than a bare eroding coppice.
Even with whatever trees there are there, Larch, conifers whatever, theres a damn site more wildlife living there now than before.

Trees eyesores! I just don't get it.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 18:51   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Restore it, and plant some Dessiduous and native trees, scrub out the phoney conifers when possible. This will encourage wild life to return to the Coppice, you will not find any wildlife amongst these small leafed or needle leafed trees. Birds won't nest in them rabbits cannot feed beneath them as they block all the light from the floor canopy, nothing grows under conifer / fir type trees, They are not native to our shores in the 'main', the are set ot like an army . Take a look at 40s 50s photographs and see the difference,you can actually see the Coppice as it should be.
that i thinks explains it Chris, the "type" of freebie trees planted there are not much good for wildlife.
Old 20-11-2007, 18:41   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
The original name of the coppice is North rake. Look at all the old maps. It was also originally wooded. The bare coppice everyone remembers fron the 50s, 60s and 70s wasn't how its always been and was an eyesore. Just look at the pic. If it hadn't been planted it would have all started eroding like the "eagle" or devils bit as we used to call it. It didn't help that we always used to slide down the side on cardboard every summer, scorching all the grass.
I personally think the coppice is iles better than it used to be, just needs a little trim for all the shortarses to be able to have a view and all the vandals want hanging by their wotsits.
Just a question: is that Peel Park in the foreground? Stanley's old ground?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 18:45   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just a question: is that Peel Park in the foreground? Stanley's old ground?
yep Eric, with the peel park boozer just behind, obviously taken after the ground was closed.
Old 20-11-2007, 19:00   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep Eric, with the peel park boozer just behind, obviously taken after the ground was closed.
I think I figured out the last bit myself
Old 21-11-2007, 00:58   #84
God Member

And the picture of the Coppice and Peel Park ... I put it on my desktop. Memories. It don't get much better. Its a keeper.
Old 19-12-2007, 11:39   #85

The Trees have brought the deer. If the trees go then so would the deer along with lots of other wild life.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 11:53   #86
God Member

I cant believe how many people want to remove the tree's to be truthful.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 11:54   #87
Resident Waffler

That's because we are old fogeys who grew up with a pre-tree Coppice in our childhood whereas you young uns only know it as it now is.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 16:23   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I cant believe how many people want to remove the tree's to be truthful.
probably cos they are horrible,worse than triffids if nice trees had been planted more sparingly, it would have probably enhanced the coppice n many would not then bitch.
Old 19-12-2007, 17:53   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
That's because we are old fogeys who grew up with a pre-tree Coppice in our childhood whereas you young uns only know it as it now is.
I've been up the coppice once, and I dont recall the view or the trees. I kind of recall a view of a motorway though
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 17:59   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
What year was that pic taken Chris ?????

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..