Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58   #1
Resting in Peace

The disgusting Tory letter in this weeks Ob

Don't know what you thought of that letter Garinda in the Observer from Marlene Haworth (Conservative St. Oswald's councillor)? I didn't think it did her party any favours.

First of all onslaught of Labour ministers prostituting themselves for up to £5,000 per day comparing it against pensioners' income. Then hitting out at Greg Pope and the expenses. Lastly, reference once again to Graham Jones 'misusing' his position to improve the landscaping on the street where he owns one of his two houses. The last little bit is a bit of a spin. Seemed like she was clutching at a few straws to deride them.

Finishes up by stating "This stinks and we should get rid of the lot of them; Labour is rotten to the core"

Just thought it was a very childish letter .. bit like when Jaysay strikes out with meaningless insults (sorry Jaysay .. luvs ya' really).

Think it did Labour more of a favour, particularly as they had a lovely photograph of Graham looking smart in his suit, holding the mike as if he was going to give us a rendering of The Red Flag ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2010, 10:09   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Party Funding..

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Don't know what you thought of that letter Garinda in the Observer from Marlene Haworth (Conservative St. Oswald's councillor)? I didn't think it did her party any favours.

First of all onslaught of Labour ministers prostituting themselves for up to £5,000 per day comparing it against pensioners' income. Then hitting out at Greg Pope and the expenses. Lastly, reference once again to Graham Jones 'misusing' his position to improve the landscaping on the street where he owns one of his two houses. The last little bit is a bit of a spin. Seemed like she was clutching at a few straws to deride them.

Finishes up by stating "This stinks and we should get rid of the lot of them; Labour is rotten to the core"

Just thought it was a very childish letter .. bit like when Jaysay strikes out with meaningless insults (sorry Jaysay .. luvs ya' really).

Think it did Labour more of a favour, particularly as they had a lovely photograph of Graham looking smart in his suit, holding the mike as if he was going to give us a rendering of The Red Flag ..
It made me howl.

She may have dropped the 'Cllr.' from before her name, which we usually see in the paper, everytime she's wearing a daft Victorian bonnet etc, and kept her address hidden, but if she thinks people don't realise she had an 'hidden' agenda, she's woefully underestimated the people of Hyndburn's intelligence.

Her bonnets may be daft, but the people of the area aren't.

Since she was so keen to mention expenses, perhaps there might be some scathing reply to her letter, asking why she, and the ruling Conservative party on H.B.C., voted in favour of increasing their expenses, beyond the recommended limits, set by an independent body.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:15   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Is Graham getting your vote, in the sartorial battle stakes?

(I was going to post that you're such a sucker, when it comes to a well cut pin-stripe, but didn't want that comment to be misconstrued...so I won't say it.)

Old 03-04-2010, 10:28   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It made me howl.

Since she was so keen to mention expenses, perhaps there might be some scathing reply to her letter, asking why she, and the ruling Conservative party on H.B.C., voted in favour of increasing their expenses, beyond the recommended limits, set by an independent body.

Exactly, left it very open to counter attack.

Quote:
Is Graham getting your vote, in the sartorial battle stakes?

(I was going to post that you're such a sucker, when it comes to a well cut pin-stripe, but didn't want that comment to be misconstrued...so I won't say it.)

Not sure which way I am going to vote just yet Garinda ... am hungry to hear what Karen Buckley has to say.. like yourself. At least John Moss (the failed applicant)came on here and posted. I found him quite amusing with a good sense of humour ... thought he would have been great; sad that Karen Buckley is coming across at the moment as dull as dishwater.

Eeew yes, am a sucker for a well cut suit ... particularly if well cut shoulders ... my vote may rest on these at the end of the day .. I am so fickle.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:32   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Exactly, left it very open to counter attack.

Not sure which way I am going to vote just yet Garinda ... am hungry to hear what Karen Buckley has to say.. like yourself. At least John Moss (the failed applicant)came on here and posted. I found him quite amusing with a good sense of humour ... thought he would have been great; sad that Karen Buckley is coming across at the moment as dull as dishwater.

Eeew yes, am a sucker for a well cut suit ... particularly if well cut shoulders ... my vote may rest on these at the end of the day .. I am so fickle.
Mossy did seem to have some fire in his belly, and a desire to fight tooth and nail to try and win the seat.

I wonder if that went against him, at the interviews?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:38   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Yes, an important couple of points when making your mind up about who to vote for, sadly though we haven't even had a glance of Ms Buckleys under arms never mind a full blown letch at her Scapula, this therefore still leaves me undecided.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:38   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's time like these I wish I was a techno-wizard, and had the skill to use Photoshop to superimpose one image on to another.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wellcutsuit.jpg (15.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg wellcutface.jpg (21.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 03-04-2010, 14:21   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's time like these I wish I was a techno-wizard, and had the skill to use Photoshop to superimpose one image on to another.

Have tried Garinda .. not me best, really struggled shrinking the head ...

Well, certainly has a little more appeal.

Well cut suit man.jpg
Old 03-04-2010, 14:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes, an important couple of points when making your mind up about who to vote for, sadly though we haven't even had a glance of Ms Buckleys under arms never mind a full blown letch at her Scapula, this therefore still leaves me undecided.
Can I just point out the importance of seeing her under arm stubble?

• If she has a full beard under each pit it means she is a full blown follow the frogs EU enthusiast.
  • If she is completely bald under these personal areas, obviously she is against the Brussels bosses.
  • If however, one arm pit has the full blown 'Continental', look and the other is close shaven, she is undecided.
The thing is, WE NEED TO KNOW!
Old 03-04-2010, 15:23   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Have tried Garinda .. not me best, really struggled shrinking the head ...

Well, certainly has a little more appeal.

Very good.

Though now you've done that, to paraphrase Crimewatch,
'Don't have nightmares'.

Last edited by Neil; 04-04-2010 at 07:26. Reason: fix quote
Old 03-04-2010, 15:34   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Can I just point out the importance of seeing her under arm stubble?

• If she has a full beard under each pit it means she is a full blown follow the frogs EU enthusiast.
  • If she is completely bald under these personal areas, obviously she is against the Brussels bosses.
  • If however, one arm pit has the full blown 'Continental', look and the other is close shaven, she is undecided.
The thing is, WE NEED TO KNOW!
The young ladies of Queen Mary's, Lytham St. Annes, receive a full and thorough education, when it comes to grooming.

Any stray whisps will be held fast with clips, or whipped up into a French pleat.

When alighting from a sports car, there won't be even the briefest glimpse of beard.

Standards are paramount.

Since ancestorally she's so deeply rooted in the area, I wonder if she's realised two of her old schoolmates have similar, if not closer, ties.

Afraid I can't really add to our knowledge of the candidate, as she didn't seem to make much of an impression at her public school.

Last edited by garinda; 03-04-2010 at 15:36.
Old 03-04-2010, 15:44   #12

Quote:
Afraid I can't really add to our knowledge of the candidate, as she didn't seem to make much of an impression at her public school.

Wrong shape for using to toast muffins then?

Still, it takes a while against modern radiators compared to the good old open fire, sometimes I feel a real touch of nostalgia for the olden days when a fag was your's to use for any culinary delight.

Come back andrew all is forgiven, (and I've got a tube of your favourite salve cream).
Old 03-04-2010, 15:51   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Wrong shape for using to toast muffins then?

Still, it takes a while against modern radiators compared to the good old open fire, sometimes I feel a real touch of nostalgia for the olden days when a fag was your's to use for any culinary experience.

Come back andrew all is forgiven, (and I've got a tube of your favourite salve cream).

Rather than being 'incredibly rude', I am in fact helping to flesh out what little real information there is, and helping to paint a human face, for this mysterious lady from the Lancashire riviera.

Knowing how well mannered Queen Mary's girls are, my money's on the first post being one of thanks, to myself, and her other campaigners.

Old 03-04-2010, 15:59   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Knowing how well mannered Queen Mary's girls are, my money's on the first post being one of thanks, to myself, and her other campaigners.
Mine's a pint of smooth, Kazzer.
Old 03-04-2010, 22:27   #15
God Member

Quote:

I've now read the letter. I don't think it should have ever been written or published.

Graham posted about this on his blog. You can see it in full at Graham Jones: Tories in new gutter smear campaign: My deceased grandmother's house is their latest personal attack line

I asked him on three separate e-mails to retract this part (the first time it was rewritten, but it still remains now):

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
And the third smear of many...
Last year there co-incidentally there was a Freedom of Information request from a Tory activist about all councillors expenses, and from my perspective particularly my phone bill which was very high. This was due to me being the primarily carer for the last 5 years of her life. I do not know how someone would know to ask for this as it had never been asked for before.

The FOI asked for Mobile Phone expenses but not mileage (mine is £zero) or Carers allowances (£zero again). It also asked for conference allowances for one particular year and no others, the only year I went to a conference. I am amazed how Tory activists can guess just what to ask for to try and cause the maximum damage of personal pain?

The activist concerns has stated to me at the time that this was done without any malice and out of desire for information from all Councillors.

Why would a Tory activist seek this information? It came at a time I was informed people were looking at Council affairs internally for political reasons.

As it was I paid for all personal calls, line by line and met with the Managing Director to make sure everything was satisfactory and he knew fully and clearly my difficulties. My gran had dementia and was dying and being in touch was beyond any cost. She brought me up in later life.

Clearly the headline phone figure would have been damaging information in itself and my suspicion is there was political advantage behind the FOI, possibly at the expense of my grandmother again.
It's essentially about me. All I did was use FOI legislation to request ALL councillors expenses as I was interested in it. There are a lot of supposed links and 'suspicions' in what I just quoted. There are many inaccuracies, for example I did ask for travel expenses. Graham seems to believe that I didn't ask for some things because his were £0 (and therefore no political advantage) except I requested food and it was £0. I had no knowledge of what would be revealed until after they came back, too, of course.

They basically add up to Graham accusing me of requesting the information to political advantage at the expense of his grandmother. To be honest that's a shocking smear on myself.

Neither the letter nor what I have quoted above should ever have been written or published. Graham is doing exactly what he claims he is against. What he has written about me he has only done to back up his case of 'smears by Conservatives'; except when it comes to myself, there is no smear, or malice. I was never aware of his family situation until he informed me himself after the expenses were publicised.

To be honest they're all as pathetic as each other. I couldn't imagine Greg Pope doing something like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..