Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 14:34   #1
God Member

Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre

Leisure in Hyndburn has received some funding from the Arts Council to employ a consultant to do a feasibility study on the Civic Theatre to see if there is an opportunity to turn the Civic into a community arts venue.

I have been appointed as the consultant for this project.

I have a questionnaire which I would like as many people as possible to fill in - so if anyone is prepared to do so could you pm me and I'll email you a copy of it.

PS - if anyone makes any comments on this thread regarding the viability of the conversion can you let me know whether or not I can use your comments in the quotes section of the report.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2008, 14:44   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre

Sounds like a good idea.

I'll fill a form in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 14:57   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Leisure in Hyndburn has received some funding from the Arts Council to employ a consultant to do a feasibility study on the Civic Theatre to see if there is an opportunity to turn the Civic into a community arts venue.

I have been appointed as the consultant for this project.

I have a questionnaire which I would like as many people as possible to fill in - so if anyone is prepared to do so could you pm me and I'll email you a copy of it.

PS - if anyone makes any comments on this thread regarding the viability of the conversion can you let me know whether or not I can use your comments in the quotes section of the report.
On the face of it it seems like a good Idea, I'm all for getting outside finance from anywhere for the good of the borough. The only thing as far as I'm cocerned is that Art has a very large scope, and as I have never actually put art at the top of my agenda. I understand that many people ge a lot of leasure out of "Art" would it be possible for you to elaborate on just what kind of things we could expect to see if this was to come to fruition please Gayle
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 15:10   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
On the face of it it seems like a good Idea, I'm all for getting outside finance from anywhere for the good of the borough. The only thing as far as I'm cocerned is that Art has a very large scope, and as I have never actually put art at the top of my agenda. I understand that many people ge a lot of leasure out of "Art" would it be possible for you to elaborate on just what kind of things we could expect to see if this was to come to fruition please Gayle

Unfortunately, no I can't elaborate as that's the whole point behind doing a consultation - to find out what people want and to see if it's possible to do it. If people say they want the arts centre to focus on music or theatre or even circus skills then that's what would have to be put forward.

Old 02-02-2008, 15:14   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

worth looking at IMHO.
Old 02-02-2008, 15:41   #6
Ski

Although art is a worthy pastime and brings pleasure to many, is this what Oswaldtwistle really wants.

Can the money not be spent on eradicating vandalism, drunk and disorderly behaviour and the drug culture that is growing in the area?

Should we not offer something that will stop the boredom in the area? To be honest if I was in my teens and early twenties, living in Ossy, I would hang around and drink just to kill the boredom and hope the day ends soon. The devil finds work for idle hands. What are we doing to stop hands being idle? There is a lot of potential and talent going down the drain as we do not invest in young people.

Think carefully what we are building and what is left to go to ruin.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 15:44   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Although art is a worthy pastime and brings pleasure to many, is this what Oswaldtwistle really wants.

Can the money not be spent on eradicating vandalism, drunk and disorderly behaviour and the drug culture that is growing in the area?

Should we not offer something that will stop the boredom in the area? To be honest if I was in my teens and early twenties, living in Ossy, I would hang around and drink just to kill the boredom and hope the day ends soon. The devil finds work for idle hands. What are we doing to stop hands being idle? There is a lot of potential and talent going down the drain as we do not invest in young people.

as the money is coming from the Arts Council, thats a dumb suggestion.
Old 02-02-2008, 16:01   #8
Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as the money is coming from the Arts Council, thats a dumb suggestion.
The Arts council provide funding not just for gallery art, but also to encourage the arts. We have to make sure that the funding is used for inclusive purposes and not exclusive.

I wrote a shorter item so that you can understand it, as the previous one went over your head.
Old 02-02-2008, 16:12   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We have to make sure that the funding is used for inclusive purposes and not exclusive.
Therefore you are going to fill in a questionnaire, to make that point?

Old 02-02-2008, 16:14   #10
Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Therefore you are going to fill in a questionnaire, to make that point?
YES - PM me with the form.
Anything to make Ossy more pleasurable for all.
Old 02-02-2008, 16:16   #11
Resting in Peace

Me, me, me Gayle .. I'll have one Miss. ! E-mail in profile, but think you have anyway.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 16:22   #12
Give, give, give member

The only 'arts centre' that I have any real knowledge about in the Battersea Arts Centre in London.

Even in such a culturally saturated place as London, it manages to provide something that isn't being catred for elsewhere. They have theatre space, visual art exhibition spaces, practice rooms, where music and drama can be taught. It really is a community arts centre, that is much used and appreciated by residents and tourists alike.

Old 02-02-2008, 16:54   #13
God Member

Quote:

You've asked a question and pretty much answered it in one post.

Vandalism, bad behaviour etc - provide something for teens to do so they're not idle - turn the theatre into an arts centre.

So I'm a little unsure about your angle on this.

Old 02-02-2008, 17:22   #14
Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
You've asked a question and pretty much answered it in one post.

Vandalism, bad behaviour etc - provide something for teens to do so they're not idle - turn the theatre into an arts centre.

So I'm a little unsure about your angle on this.
I've PM'd you on this.
Ski

Alec Bourne
Old 03-02-2008, 15:29   #15
God Member

Thank you to all of those who have got forms already, any other volunteers?

All comments are welcome.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..