Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 16:34   #61
God Member

Re: Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre

Hi Gayle, it's nice to be back - and thanks for getting back to me on this.

Can you perhaps explain why it is to be an arts centre mostly for young people and what the target age range is?
Old 01-03-2010, 17:39   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Hi Gayle, it's nice to be back - and thanks for getting back to me on this.

Can you perhaps explain why it is to be an arts centre mostly for young people and what the target age range is?
Because the findings showed that there is lack of cultural provision for young people in this area. Also, since the first report was done further national reports have been published which encourage areas and councils to increase their cultural offering for all ages and in particular for young people.

The target age range of the Arts Centre is ALL AGES, with emphasis on young people i.e. age 5 to 25. There will be many things for many ages.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 20:12   #63
God Member

if it did turn into an arts centre what would happen when the funding runs out would they shut the building or is there still going to be christmas pantomines and shows or is it going to be a full change just to save hyndburn council some money,or am i missing the point here
Old 01-03-2010, 21:05   #64
God Member

There will still be pantos, shows and things going on upstairs.
This is for downstairs. The space downstairs isn't really used at the moment, so by turning it into an arts centre it will give it a use.

Old 01-03-2010, 21:10   #65
God Member

thats good, what about arts and textiles and arrange school visits ,something about the local history maybe even in conjunction with ossy mills.was there not some kind of white work people used to make before the industrial revolution embroidery and industrial polyester just an idea..
Old 01-03-2010, 21:35   #66
God Member

Any ideas are welcome.

Yes, school visits and local history stuff is a good idea. I did a walk around Ossy a while ago with a group from one school and they seemed to enjoy it.

Old 01-03-2010, 22:10   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Because the findings showed that there is lack of cultural provision for young people in this area.
Sorry Gayle .. know you will be getting naffed off with me mentioning this point again, but this is a centre for the whole of Hyndburn .. not just Oswaldtwistle ... the sooner it is renamed the better (yes, I know, offers on the table for this).

It is the only building in our constituency where there are theatre provisions .. shame we could not have bought some of the wonderful buildings in the centre, but we have to make do and mend here unfortunately.

There is a meeting next Tuesday (16th .. 7 p.m.) at Hipping Vale Community Centre for anyone interested in the arts and feel they could contribute to this project.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 22:58   #68
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
but this is a centre for the whole of Hyndburn .. not just Oswaldtwistle ... the sooner it is renamed the better (yes, I know, offers on the table for this).
Why on earth would you want to rename it? We even let people from Blackburn and Burnley come to the Theatre as well.

Please explain what the 'offers on the table' mean?
Old 01-03-2010, 23:11   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why on earth would you want to rename it? We even let people from Blackburn and Burnley come to the Theatre as well.

The 'theatre' (upstairs) has to be named so that people know it is not just for the people of Oswaldtwistle Neil .. thought my post was obvious .. Gotta' get the whole of Hyndburn thinking it is for them too. What do you mean by 'we' even let people from Burnley and Blackburn come to the theatre as well ? Do you mean 'we' the people of Oswaldtwistle or Hyndburn ?

They are looking for a name for this downstairs community arts centre.
Old 01-03-2010, 23:14   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sorry Gayle .. know you will be getting naffed off with me mentioning this point again, but this is a centre for the whole of Hyndburn .. not just Oswaldtwistle ... the sooner it is renamed the better (yes, I know, offers on the table for this).

It is the only building in our constituency where there are theatre provisions .. shame we could not have bought some of the wonderful buildings in the centre, but we have to make do and mend here unfortunately.

There is a meeting next Tuesday (16th .. 7 p.m.) at Hipping Vale Community Centre for anyone interested in the arts and feel they could contribute to this project.
Funny enough, I nearly suggested a name change for the Civic Theatre in a meeting with Gayle, to something like Hyndburn Civic Theatre. I have to admit, I couldn't quite summon up enough courage to suggest we might change the name.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 23:27   #71
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The 'theatre' (upstairs) has to be named so that people know it is not just for the people of Oswaldtwistle Neil .. thought my post was obvious .. Gotta' get the whole of Hyndburn thinking it is for them too.
I don't see why anyone would think the Theatre is just for Ossy people.

Is Accrington Stanley only for people from Accrington? Of course its not.

The Theatre is named after the name of the town it is in.

Do you think we should rename Ossy Mills so people wont just think its for the people of Oswaldtwistle?

Do you really think people are that stupid they think the Theatre is exclusively for Ossy residents only?
Old 01-03-2010, 23:32   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Dunno i think "Gobbin Hall" would be a fine name.
Old 01-03-2010, 23:42   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Do you really think people are that stupid they think the Theatre is exclusively for Ossy residents only?
Yes, they do Neil. Having been in shows over many years at this theatre .. lots of people do still associate it just with Oswaldtwistle groups, even though the 'Accrington Theatre Group' have put lots of effort into improving the staging/lighting, etc. Groups from other towns are encouraged due to the revenue they generate.

It is a theatre/facility for the whole of Hyndburn and should be marketed as such, otherwise, the community will not be persuaded to put any effort into any projects there.

Accrington Stanley does belong to just Accrington basically, as does Ossy Mills to Oswaldtwistle .. private enterprises. The theatre is an HBC run facility !!
Old 01-03-2010, 23:46   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can't see it meself kate, been going yon oer 30 years meself, its always been ossy town hall,/ ossy civic, never associated it with just ossy, unless yer saying many of the local population are thick?
Old 02-03-2010, 00:00   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Accrington and Districts Community Theatre and Arts Centre sounds quite snappy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..