Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 10:35   #106
God Member

Re: Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre

Acrylic-Bob, it is you that is wrong. It will work.

There is little point in having a discussion about this when we are at such polar ends of the scale with regards to belief in the project. I'm am obviously not going to convince you that it will work, the only way to convince you will be as time progresses.

As for being civil, well I would be, but it was not me who accused you of being the equivalent of a lying, tax fiddling MP, nor was it me that patronised you with the continued use of 'dear'. If you would like civil and open debate then please accord me some courtesy and I will respond in the same way.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2010, 11:38   #107
God Member

just a question can either Gayle or Acrylic-bob tell me of one decent piece of public art that has been designed by a "Komittee of the populi"..... ?. For some reason Accrington has no decent statues (think Victoria and Gladstone on Blackburn boulevard ) ......both were paid for by public subscription , not town Council grants , the various War memorials in the Hyndburn towns were all built by public donations, away from any UDC /Council interferance , apart from the donation of the site .
Both the Howarth and Tiffany glass collection came from private doners . No way can I imagine the good burghers of Accrington sitting thru a photoshop presentation and discussion of what the new Town Hall or Market Hall should look like , they gave the job to the best person available and let him get on with the job and hoped for the best ...(which we got) unlike that blue covered piece of crap behind the Town Hall on Broadway. Sorry in my opinion publicly supportd(council,komittee) art means only one thing .....Graffitti /urban blight
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 15:21   #108
God Member

Wasn't it Alec Issigonis who said that the camel was a horse designed by a committee?

But the short answer your question, Steeljack, is no. The only thing that committees are good at is breeding more committees.
Old 10-04-2010, 16:05   #109
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
For some reason Accrington has no decent statues (think Victoria and Gladstone on Blackburn boulevard )
Grumpy drawers is regally sat on the Boulevard, but the Grand Old Man is sited outside King George's Hall, on Northgate. Arm outstretched, providing a handy perch for the flying rats.

My own favourite statue in Blackburn is Flora, in Corporation Park. Which my assorted followers of misfits, aesthestes, and social outcasts, used to adorn with flowers every school lunchtime, weather permitting.

It is odd that Accrington has so many fine public buildings, but no statues, commissioned with money made in t'mill.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 16:11   #110
Give, give, give member

Lol, I was just checking whether Gateshead Council had themselves commissioned the Angel of the North, and found this, on the council website.

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Document...ingPattern.pdf

Art in wool.

Old 10-04-2010, 16:13   #111
Give, give, give member

We could have been knitting our own P....p....pan.....panop......,oh you know what I mean, if we were allowed to mention it.

Old 10-04-2010, 16:25   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
As for being civil, well I would be, but it was not me who accused you of being the equivalent of a lying, tax fiddling MP, nor was it me that patronised you with the continued use of 'dear'. If you would like civil and open debate then please accord me some courtesy and I will respond in the same way.
I did not accuse you of anything Gayle I merely asked, since you were unwilling to answer a simple question, what you had to hide. you drew those unfortunate conclusions entirely on your own.
I would have expected a lady of your calibre and education to understand that once she began taking the public penny she became, ipso facto, a public servant and as such is bound by generally understood behavioral conventions. For example: it is not generally held to be reasonable or polite to dismiss an enquiry by a member of the public with the line "I am very busy at the moment as it happens. I have an Arts Centre to open." one could almost hear the door slam as you swept off the forum. Further it is most definately not done to imply that a member of the public is, either directly or by association "pompous and arrogant". You might think it, but you may not say it. But, then, we all say things in the heat of the moment that we later regret, I know I do. So, in true Accyweb spirit, I will take your apology as read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Acrylic-Bob, it is you that is wrong. It will work.
There is little point in having a discussion about this when we are at such polar ends of the scale with regards to belief in the project. I'm am obviously not going to convince you that it will work, the only way to convince you will be as time progresses.
I beg to differ on this point too, perhaps if you had stuck around with the fine artists instead of typesetters then you would understand that it is at precisely this point that the most illuminating discussions are held. It is a precious point where positions and proposals may be examined ruthlessly, tested to destruction and rebuilt. The argument for and against opposing hypotheses forms the whole basis of our culture and has done since the Greeks developed the use rhetoric, logic and oratory in the 5th century BC. I guess they do not teach too much about that sort of thing in "Graphics".

And you see this is what really worries me about all this civic arts centre malarky. It is the same thing that worried me about the Panopticon farrago and most of the stuff funded by the Arts Council come to that; it appears all surface and effect with little intellectual depth; in a word, superficial. It appears to be more about the beurocracy of arts administration, focus groups, feasibility studies, reports on reports, evidence based outcomes and all the rest of the quangospeak gibberish. As I have said to you before Gayle , you cannot teach ART. You can teach skills but that is all you can do. Art will either happen or it will not, more often it will not and no amount of evidence based outcomes, funding seminars or wishful thinking will alter that simple fact.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 10-04-2010 at 16:28.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 18:17   #113
God Member

I think it is time to use a well worn civil service expression -
'I am a public servant - not a public convenience'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 18:55   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think it is time to use a well worn civil service expression -
'I am a public servant - not a public convenience'
Just a quickie before I comment on this .. Gayle is a Freelance Project Manager, and should be charging a lot more than what she does.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 19:03   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I did not accuse you of anything Gayle I merely asked, since you were unwilling to answer a simple question, what you had to hide. you drew those unfortunate conclusions entirely on your own.
I was not unwilling to answer your question. I had nothing to hide and have nothing to hide. In fact, I think you'll have to agree that I answer any direct question openly and honestly. Just because I took some time to answer did not mean that I was hiding anything, it was quite simply because I was busy and not on Accyweb for some time. You were away for over a year but we didn't go screaming for your head because you were doing other things. I agree that I am working for the council and so should be accountable, which is why I will continue to invite you to come along and see the work that is being done, to take part in steering group meetings and to generally work with us to ensure it is a success. I have nothing to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I would have expected a lady of your calibre and education to understand that once she began taking the public penny she became, ipso facto, a public servant and as such is bound by generally understood behavioral conventions. For example: it is not generally held to be reasonable or polite to dismiss an enquiry by a member of the public with the line "I am very busy at the moment as it happens. I have an Arts Centre to open." one could almost hear the door slam as you swept off the forum.
I will reiterate, I am very busy because I am trying to open an Arts Centre at the moment. What I should be doing right now, instead of responding to you, is filling in the three funding application forms that are stacked up and the two events safety forms that need to be in by Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-Bob
Further it is most definately not done to imply that a member of the public is, either directly or by association "pompous and arrogant". You might think it, but you may not say it.
If you choose to read anything in to my comments then that is of course, your perogative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-Bob
But, then, we all say things in the heat of the moment that we later regret, I know I do.
I accept your apology.

Quote:
I beg to differ on this point too, perhaps if you had stuck around with the fine artists instead of typesetters then you would understand that it is at precisely this point that the most illuminating discussions are held. It is a precious point where positions and proposals may be examined ruthlessly, tested to destruction and rebuilt. The argument for and against opposing hypotheses forms the whole basis of our culture and has done since the Greeks developed the use rhetoric, logic and oratory in the 5th century BC. I guess they do not teach too much about that sort of thing in "Graphics".
I found that the fine art students spent many hours discussing and debating issues but not actually 'doing' anything.

Quote:
And you see this is what really worries me about all this civic arts centre malarky. It is the same thing that worried me about the Panopticon farrago and most of the stuff funded by the Arts Council come to that; it appears all surface and effect with little intellectual depth; in a word, superficial.

It appears to be more about the beurocracy of arts administration, focus groups, feasibility studies, reports on reports, evidence based outcomes and all the rest of the quangospeak gibberish.
I can't respond to this because I don't think there is anything that I can say that will convince you otherwise. I would love for you to come along and talk to me about it. Come to the meeting, be part of the steering group.

Quote:
As I have said to you before Gayle , you cannot teach ART. You can teach skills but that is all you can do. Art will either happen or it will not, more often it will not and no amount of evidence based outcomes, funding seminars or wishful thinking will alter that simple fact.
You can teach ART, if you couldn't why would there be Art colleges in the first place? Are you saying you learnt nothing at university whilst doing your fine art degree?

You can teach history of art, mechanics of art, you can teach stage craft, you can teach music (remember, we're not just talking about visual art, we're talking about all genre of arts - film, drama, music etc). A great pianist does not become a great pianist without having first learnt how to use a piano.

Art does not just happen - yes, there has to be talent and ability, skill and learning but most of all, there has to opportunity. Some people have potential but because the tools aren't available or the opportunities aren't there for them they are unable to fulfill their potential. This is partly about creating the opportunities for the very talented and for creating enjoyable activities for the enthusiastic. You don't have to turn out a great artist or artiste for them to have enjoyed an artistic experience because Art needn't always be about the end product either, it can be about the process.

Finally, some art does not happen without organisation i.e. someone co-ordinating a drama club or someone co-ordinating a photography exhibition. Some of the Arts are not a solo pursuits and it does take someone who has the ability to present the opporunities to people for things to happen.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26   #116
God Member

To be more helpful I have put Gayle's comments in Red and my response in black, well it saves all that cutting and pasting of html code.

You can teach ART, if you couldn't why would there be Art colleges in the first place? Are you saying you learnt nothing at university whilst doing your fine art degree?

First mistake: not reading the argument fully. I was careful to point out that the necessary skills can most certainly be taught; that is what art schools are for. Some institutions teach well, some badly, most are midlingly indifferent.

Are you saying you learnt nothing at university whilst doing your fine art degree?

Au contraire mon cher, I learnt a great deal, the chief being how how little I knew.

I found that the fine art students spent many hours discussing and debating issues but not actually 'doing' anything.

And this is precisley how one learns just how little one knows and how to go about rectifying the situation. We learn as much from our fellows as from our tutors, in some cases more!

You can teach history of art, mechanics of art, you can teach stage craft, you can teach music (remember, we're not just talking about visual art, we're talking about all genre of arts - film, drama, music etc). A great pianist does not become a great pianist without having first learnt how to use a piano.

We have been through this, of course the skills can be taught, if that is what you mean by "the mechanics of art" and of necessity acquiring the skills must come before all else.

Art does not just happen

Well, actually, it does, but more about that later.

there has to be talent and ability, skill and learning but most of all, there has to opportunity. Some people have potential but because the tools aren't available or the opportunities aren't there for them they are unable to fulfill their potential.

This is the commonplace truth of all the spheres of human endeavour, not just art. Life is unfair and despite our best endeavours society is not just and equitable. Indeed, to take the proposition to its logical origin, who can say how many Mozarts or Spielbergs have been flushed down hospital loos as a result of the availability of abortion on demand? Would you care to argue a case that to protect and promote the potential of the unborn that abortion should not be available?

This is partly about creating the opportunities for the very talented and for creating enjoyable activities for the enthusiastic.

Only partly? What are the other parts about? It strikes me that the "very talented", if they are so, are more than capable of shifting for themselves and overcoming life's little hurdles, I know I and many others have. The cream rises to the top. Even in the marxist paradise of the USSR, to paraphrase Shaw, those who can, did, and were often comparatively very well rewarded for their efforts. I have no argument against "creating enjoyable activities for the enthusiastic.", But it isn't ART. It is what it is, an opportunity to indulge in activities outside the normal run of the mill. An entertainment or divertissment. Dress it up and lard it with high blown phraseology as you will, but it will never be anything different nor will it produce anything of objective and enduring worth except, and very occaisionally, by accident rather than intent.

You don't have to turn out a great artist or artiste for them to have enjoyed an artistic experience.

By admitting as much, in a way, you make my argument for me. You are providing the same thing, but in a slightly different form, as the Civic Theatre: pabulum for the masses. Hence the suggestion of "Bollywood aerobics" classes along with making good some of the deficiencies of the state education system.

Art needn't always be about the end product either, it can be about the process.

This statement is straight out of the Arts Administration For All handbook circa 1980. It was discredited years ago and I highlight it here merely to illustrate the redundancy of your thinking. Pass the lentils Mavis. I usually find that people who spout this meaningless drivel are also convinced that sandals are a good idea and that tie-dying can make a positive fashion statement.

Finally, some art does not happen without organisation i.e. someone co-ordinating a drama club or someone co-ordinating a photography exhibition. Some of the Arts are not a solo pursuits and it does take someone who has the ability to present the opporunities to people for things to happen.

Well, I was just waiting for this one! The last resort of the beurocrat - self referential self justification. How did Michelangelo ever manage the sistine ceiling without an army of facilitators and report writers and feasibility studyists to help him understand what he was doing? The poor chap must have been in a real quandry, when all he had to fall back on was his own abilities, inspiration and vision.

Nothing that you have said here convinces me that this little project will be anything other than an exercise in bidding for cash and then wasting it. Casting pearls before swine. Or, as I said in my initial post, more of the same old same old. It will be the same tired old drivel that the borough was so graciously conceded by Mid Pennine Arts.

Art cannot be taught. And this is true because ART is a subjective experience. It is a nonspecific qualitative judgement that cannot be equated with the innate ability to create. Art can be experienced, and ways of experiencing art can certainly be taught. Ways of seeing can likewise be taught. What cannot be taught is the passion one must feel to create art in the first place.

Or to put it another way, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..