Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 00:02   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Funny enough, I nearly suggested a name change for the Civic Theatre in a meeting with Gayle, to something like Hyndburn Civic Theatre.
I think that's a very good idea.

It's the only theatre in the borough, and is funded by people from all areas of Hyndburn, so makes perfect sense to me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2010, 00:04   #77
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you think we should rename Ossy Mills so people wont just think its for the people of Oswaldtwistle?
That's a commercial concern, and isn't funded by the tax payers of the borough.

Old 02-03-2010, 00:10   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Accrington Stanley does belong to just Accrington basically, as does Ossy Mills to Oswaldtwistle .. private enterprises. The theatre is an HBC run facility !!
He's not long out of the Ribble Valley, and perhaps hasn't heard of some other football teams that represent the towns in Hyndburn, such as Great Harwood Town F.C, Oswaldtwistle St. Mary's F.C., and Rishton United F.C. etc.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:36   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
thats good, what about arts and textiles and arrange school visits ,something about the local history maybe even in conjunction with ossy mills.was there not some kind of white work people used to make before the industrial revolution embroidery and industrial polyester just an idea..
Great idea CMS that woud be of benefit o future genertions
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Accrington and Districts Community Theatre and Arts Centre sounds quite snappy.

And so is a crocodile sandwich Rindi
Old 02-03-2010, 11:14   #81
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have it on good authority that the Civic Theatre does not have the word Oswaldtwistle in its title anyway, it is part of its address. This can be seen on HBC's website here and here

The fact that it is know as Ossy Civic Theatre is because of its location.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16   #82
God Member

what about lancashire civic theatre..
Old 02-03-2010, 15:05   #83
Resting in Peace

Have you noticed its the Clayton mod at have stirred it again
Old 02-03-2010, 15:59   #84
God Member

I have a problem with all this Quango directed, lottery funded, liberal, social engineering 'ARTS' drivel.

And my problem is that, despite making an awful lot of noise and providing employment for those among us who cannnot create wealth but merely consume it, it leaves behind it very little of any intrinsic worth. It's aims and scope are short term. And, despite the arguments of its proponents to the contrary, delivered at mindnumbing length and with wearying enthusiasm, it does very little to equip anyone in its target audience to do anything of any significance once the funding has run out and the the focus shifts to the next set of government dictated targets.

The current jamboree, kicked off with the Liverpool City of Culture extravaganza and, according to the Arts Council England, North West's Mission Statement, the three years from 2008-2011 are about "great art for everyone".

And so, as a result of a successful bid, £1.6 million has been allocated to Hyndburn and will now be spent refurbishing the Civic Theatre and also has to ensure the delivery of the governments directive that "all children and young people will have the chance to engage in at least five hours a week of high-quality culture in and out of school".

I have no argument with the premise that the vast majority of our children are uncultured brats, I see more than enough evidence of that on a daily basis. But I do not see how the aims of "great art for everyone" and "at least five hours a week of high-quality culture " can be delivered for what amounts to no more than £18.82 per person in the borough, over a three year period.

In a report in The Telegraph on 18/09/2008, the plans for the theatre were said to envisage that "the area would be mainly used for drama, dance, music and film but could also be used by youth groups, activity classes such as yoga, children’s karate groups or by school drama classes.The downstairs area would be transformed with a new day and night cafe bar and an opened-up foyer as well as an office for the new theatre staff. The building as a whole would have disabled access throughout, including access back stage."

So now we know what constitutes "High Quality Culture" and "Great Art for Everyone" in the borough of Hyndburn: the same as what we had before only this time with a new bar and disabled access. And what happens to the place once the circus has moved on and re-decoration or new equipment are needed?

I don't want Gayle to think that I am unappreciative of her efforts, I am not. I wish we had more like her - really, I do. It's just that creativity cannot be commanded. Government Dictat does not create ART nor do committees. Giving a kid access to a video camera might keep him or her occupied for a little while but, it will never produce the next Ingmar Bergman.
Old 02-03-2010, 17:11   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have it on good authority that the Civic Theatre does not have the word Oswaldtwistle in its title anyway, it is part of its address. This can be seen on HBC's website here and here

The fact that it is know as Ossy Civic Theatre is because of its location.
No, that sounds like it is a theatre that belongs to Oswaldtwistle.

I agree that the title Civic Theatre, Oswaldtwistle is creeping in slowly Neil, however, even our Leader started off a letter in February with:-

"Hyndburn Borough Council is currently refurbishing the ground floor of Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre"
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 17:16   #86
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
No, that sounds like it is a theatre that belongs to Oswaldtwistle.
Get a grip girl
Old 02-03-2010, 17:18   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
It's just that creativity cannot be commanded. Government Dictat does not create ART nor do committees. Giving a kid access to a video camera might keep him or her occupied for a little while but, it will never produce the next Ingmar Bergman.
I don't think it is a matter of creating creativity A-B, we have lots of talented young people in our area ... just that their naturalness for creativity needs recognising and encouraging to be brought out by other more experienced people, and bouncing off their own peers to give them a platform/level for their talents.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 17:51   #88
God Member

Quote:
just that their naturalness for creativity needs recognising and encouraging to be brought out by other more experienced people, and bouncing off their own peers
That surely is the purpose of sending them to school, isn't it? 'Education', from the latin, "educare", meaning, 'to lead out'
Old 02-03-2010, 20:10   #89
God Member

A-B - we didn't get the £1.6m funding. It is only the ground floor that is being refurbished with HBC capital investment.

It will be run like a business so will in time make profit for HBC - in the same way that other public buildings are supposed to.

Whilst I agree that you could give a talentless oik a video camera and you will not create Ingmar Bergman, the opposite also applies that if you give someone with talent a camera there is the outside possibility that you might create the next Danny Boyle.

We have a lot of talent in the area and to nurture it is a good thing. Whether people like it or not, there is a lot of money in the Arts for actors, directors, designers, lighting, sound engineers etc (and not all Arts Council funding). Just because we live in Oswaldtwistle it doesn't mean that some of our young people shouldn't have the best possible opportunities available.

It is nothing like we 'had before' A-B. We don't have anything like this facility and this provision already. There are a few good youth groups but they don't offer training in behind the scenes skills - directing, sound, lighting, video etc that this facility will be offering.

As for the name - Civic Arts Centre and Civic Theatre I think - Oswaldtwistle is part of the address.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:48   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
A-B - we didn't get the £1.6m funding. It is only the ground floor that is being refurbished with HBC capital investment.

Oh I see, the bid failed and we don't qualify for "great art for all". Why does that not surprise me.

Quote:
It will be run like a business so will in time make profit for HBC - in the same way that other public buildings are supposed to.
Run for profit. I can't criticise the hope but I do think that it is a pretty forlorn one. the words HBC, Business and Profit do not naturally follow one another in anything like logical association.

Quote:
Whilst I agree that you could give a talentless oik a video camera and you will not create Ingmar Bergman, the opposite also applies that if you give someone with talent a camera there is the outside possibility that you might create the next Danny Boyle.
I would have thought that the odds are better in playing the Lottery.

Quote:
We have a lot of talent in the area and to nurture it is a good thing. Whether people like it or not, there is a lot of money in the Arts for actors, directors, designers, lighting, sound engineers etc (and not all Arts Council funding). Just because we live in Oswaldtwistle it doesn't mean that some of our young people shouldn't have the best possible opportunities available.
Are you offering Vocational Qualifications?

Quote:
It is nothing like we 'had before' A-B. We don't have anything like this facility and this provision already. There are a few good youth groups but they don't offer training in behind the scenes skills - directing, sound, lighting, video etc that this facility will be offering.
How do you think Local Drama have managed to put shows on for the last century without passing on stage management and production skills? Of course it is every bit the same old, same old. except with a bit of new equipment

Quote:
As for the name - Civic Arts Centre and Civic Theatre I think - Oswaldtwistle is part of the address.
Call it what you like and tie yourself up in knots over wehther it is correctly inclusive enough, but it won't change what it is. Short changed again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..