Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 19:59   #1
God Member

the localism bill

as the majority of the population have been distracted the goverment have been discussing and steamrolling the localism bill through parliament and the lords without any debate in the media. does anybody know or took any notice what this bill will mean to their current situation or how it will affect them in the future. it does look like a few mps are going to be busy with the plans to cut tennants access to the ombudsman.could this create conflicts of interest or if the councillor or mp is unaccessible or even if they know or are on the board of the housing company the tenants rights are nil this is just part of the localism bill which affect every citizen in the uk.
Old 08-09-2011, 20:30   #2
Beacon of light

Re: the localism bill

I am going to do a Cmon here.....and post a link.
I feel the link(which explains the implications of the bill) will be useful to those who wish to know more about it.
Localism Bill 2010-11 — UK Parliament

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 08-09-2011 at 20:39.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 20:42   #3
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
as the majority of the population have been distracted the goverment have been discussing and steamrolling the localism bill through parliament and the lords without any debate in the media. does anybody know or took any notice what this bill will mean to their current situation or how it will affect them in the future. it does look like a few mps are going to be busy with the plans to cut tennants access to the ombudsman.could this create conflicts of interest or if the councillor or mp is unaccessible or even if they know or are on the board of the housing company the tenants rights are nil this is just part of the localism bill which affect every citizen in the uk.
Have you actually read any of the bill in question?
If you haven't, then may I suggest that you follow the link I have posted, and see what is actually in the bill.
Old 08-09-2011, 21:00   #4
Senior Member+

By and large the Bill is an empty vessel. The hyperbole has been watered down to meaningless clauses or clauses that rebadge what is already in statute such as the planning proposals.

Community empowerment proposals are weak. Planning is rehashed. Mayors top down policy and a gimmick when it pans out for the 10 affected. The general power of competence is a big step forward but a continuum of Labours well meaning 'Well Being' legislation.

The social cleansing in the HB is controversial as is the ending of life tenures and charges for empty rooms. However some of these will be watered down in reality, some have already such as life tenures and some will fail such as empty rooms.

Some such as doing away with the RSS will stop the oversupply in Hyndburn BUT removes the Councils powers to say no to planning apps from Gypsies and travellers on the basis they are above quota - which HBC are. And this has already happenned.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:58   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Have you actually read any of the bill in question?
If you haven't, then may I suggest that you follow the link I have posted, and see what is actually in the bill.
I have and I must say what a fascinating read it was.May I suggest Cmon tracks the bill from the start.He will be amazed at it's simplicity

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:32   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I have and I must say what a fascinating read it was.May I suggest Cmon tracks the bill from the start.He will be amazed at it's simplicity
In that case C'mon will probably think is on a par with the Theory of Relativity
Old 09-09-2011, 15:14   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
By and large the Bill is an empty vessel. The hyperbole has been watered down to meaningless clauses or clauses that rebadge what is already in statute such as the planning proposals.

Community empowerment proposals are weak. Planning is rehashed. Mayors top down policy and a gimmick when it pans out for the 10 affected. The general power of competence is a big step forward but a continuum of Labours well meaning 'Well Being' legislation.

The social cleansing in the HB is controversial as is the ending of life tenures and charges for empty rooms. However some of these will be watered down in reality, some have already such as life tenures and some will fail such as empty rooms.

Some such as doing away with the RSS will stop the oversupply in Hyndburn BUT removes the Councils powers to say no to planning apps from Gypsies and travellers on the basis they are above quota - which HBC are. And this has already happenned.

Thank you Graham...maybe your comments will comfort Cmon(a toothless/watered down bill...whatever next?).......I think he was worried that the dastardly coalition government were out to get him.
Old 09-09-2011, 15:37   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I think he was worried that the dastardly coalition government were out to get him.
I bet the Labour party would be pleased to pay for his membership if he was to desert them and go to either of those parties.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:29   #9
Beacon of light

I'm sure they would Less.
Old 09-09-2011, 17:33   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm sure they would Less.
Think he'd be better joining the Bermondsey Massive
Old 09-09-2011, 21:32   #11
God Member

i only asked if it would affect anybody if it was up to a councillor or mp to contact the ombudsman on housing issues does this mean landlords will be lobbying mps and councillorsor if mps or councillors were the landlord would this be a conflict of interestive been watching the debates in the house of ords on the parliament channel
Old 09-09-2011, 22:02   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
This is your first post. The post you started the thread with.
You seem to be making statements. 'It does look like a few MPs are going to be busy with plans to cut tenants access to the ombudsman'
You tell us we have all been 'Distracted'......that the bill has been 'steamrollered' through.
Then you go on and ask a couple of questions...which are badly phrased and make little sense(I should be surprised??? by that).......but you tell us the tenants rights are nil...so are you answering your own question?
I'm blowed if I know.

Graham Jones(a Labour MP) has told us that this bill is nothing more than what is already in place...but rebadged....and that many of the items in the bill have been, in his words, watered down.......meaning they will have little effect. Doesn't this reassure you in any way?

My feeling is that you snatched on this in a sensationalist way...(do you know any other way) and tried to make out that this information...because it hasn't been discussed in the media, is in some way, being hidden from us.
It is there for anyone who wants to read it.

Have you read this bill, or its progress through the Commons and The House of Lords?
From your questions I would guess that you haven't.
Old 09-09-2011, 22:04   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it shouldn't be a shock to yeh Margaret, i expect nowt less from him. cmon that is.
Old 09-09-2011, 22:15   #14
Beacon of light

I'm not shocked...or surprised for that matter. After all it is his usual tack.
This bill and the progress of it, can be accessed easily.....that is if you want to!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:45   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm not shocked...or surprised for that matter. After all it is his usual tack.
This bill and the progress of it, can be accessed easily.....that is if you want to!
Ya all anybody has to do is log onto Theyworkforyou, and it will tell you whats happening down in the smoke

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..