Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2011, 21:53   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: The Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The reward bit suggests they have done something that deserves a reward and I am not convinced that is the case.

I would like to know what the cost to Hyndburn is for having a Mayor. Including the Officer time, car costs etc etc.
Blimey.

You've turned ever so critical of what goes on at H.B.C.

Since May, 2010.

We've been paying for a Mayor since 1878.

Why the sudden interest in how much it's costing?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2011, 22:27   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Blimey.

Since May, 2010.

Blimey, indeed
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 22:29   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Yes and it comes with a driver, a mayors attendant,and social secretary.
Was the car made in Britain? And can the attendant and secretary speak Lancashire?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 22:44   #34
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Blimey.

Since May, 2010.

Let he who is without sin cast the first aspersion.

My spidey sense suspects that come next May the cost implications will be less keenly bandied about if my prediction as to the next Tory mayoral candidate is proven correct.

Still got to be voted through full council though.

With a majority.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 23:56   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Blimey.

Since May, 2010.

Not a sudden interest on the cost of having a mayor at all.

I have dug out a couple of my old posts about my thoughts on wasting money on a mayor. I had forgotten how sarcastic I used to be and enjoyed looking back at old posts

From 1/3/2006
Quote:
.........What does the Mayor do except cost us money and why do we want/need one. I would rather have a Community Warden than a Mayor thank you.
From 21/2/2008
Quote:
........I personally don't see the point in having a Mayor. They appear to be an unneeded expense to the Borough.

Maybe someone can explain what a Mayor does that is worth spending the money to have one.
Old 28-09-2011, 00:02   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
......My spidey sense suspects that come next May the cost implications will be less keenly bandied about if my prediction as to the next Tory mayoral candidate is proven correct.
I don't care if its Elvis it is still an unnecessary expense.

I agree with what Graham said in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The disgraceful goings on over the last 8 years have left the Mayoral office somewhat trashed by political leadership. At least 3 of the last 5 nominated may not have had the job but for political intervention, usually to 'get them out of the way/make them look important'
Old 28-09-2011, 08:52   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't think that old adage works, when I started my apprenticeship councillors were not paid , and the standards were far superior than they are today. Plus most of the workforce in my old department are now agency staff, and most of the work now gets undertaken by the private sector. none of which have the required indepth knowledge or training.
This may have saved money but the public are not well served. To get back on topic a mayor with no affiliations would be able to at least strive towards a better service based on what the public deserve, not what they think it should cost.
I think that's a very simplistic way of looking at things, when I first became involved in local politics nearly 50 years ago councillors weren't paid, but its an all new ball game today, councillors are on call 24/7 and believe me, although I've never been a councillor, dealing with the general public is no easy job, because everybody knows how to run the council, from the armchair, but very few are prepared to stick their toe in the water and have a try themselves. Regardless of party I have always said people who take on public duties as a councillor deserve everything they get, because the man in the street is the hardest person to deal with in the world
Old 28-09-2011, 08:54   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
the car is probably leased ... thats why its a new one.

davemac .. full regalia .. could you imagine them getting mugged for the chains of office .. oh and not all the places they visit are on a bus route you know ...

do people not realise it can cost the mayor money to be the mayor ...
Exactly Jen the chain alone must be worth thousands and being the mayor does cost money
Old 28-09-2011, 11:30   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
the car is probably leased ... thats why its a new one.

davemac .. full regalia .. could you imagine them getting mugged for the chains of office .. oh and not all the places they visit are on a bus route you know ...

do people not realise it can cost the mayor money to be the mayor ...
It was a bit tongue in cheek, I think the chain of office should be placed in an envelope and sent of to cash my gold chain of office and the proceeds given to charity, (tongue firmley in place again). I worked for the council for almost 40 years and can report from up close some of these public servants are muppets, serving only themselves. just now and again you get a good egg. That is why the mayorship should be seperate from the council, with the only brief being, help the people, for the people, by the people, slight paraphrase there.

So to get back on topic, the office of mayor should not be a political appointment, but a voluntary position, people who help the people for no reward or recognition.

Right after that I am back off to my darkened room for a bowl of pobbies and a cup of complan

Last edited by davemac; 28-09-2011 at 11:32.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 18:01   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It was a bit tongue in cheek, I think the chain of office should be placed in an envelope and sent of to cash my gold chain of office and the proceeds given to charity, (tongue firmley in place again). I worked for the council for almost 40 years and can report from up close some of these public servants are muppets, serving only themselves. just now and again you get a good egg. That is why the mayorship should be seperate from the council, with the only brief being, help the people, for the people, by the people, slight paraphrase there.

So to get back on topic, the office of mayor should not be a political appointment, but a voluntary position, people who help the people for no reward or recognition.

Right after that I am back off to my darkened room for a bowl of pobbies and a cup of complan
Ya think thats just about right for you the pobbies and complan
Old 28-09-2011, 19:04   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya think thats just about right for you the pobbies and complan
oooh matron
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 07:54   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think that's a very simplistic way of looking at things, when I first became involved in local politics nearly 50 years ago councillors weren't paid, but its an all new ball game today, councillors are on call 24/7 and believe me, although I've never been a councillor, dealing with the general public is no easy job, because everybody knows how to run the council, from the armchair, but very few are prepared to stick their toe in the water and have a try themselves. Regardless of party I have always said people who take on public duties as a councillor deserve everything they get, because the man in the street is the hardest person to deal with in the world
I do agree John. You are pragmatically right on both points. For such a lucrative job there is hardly anyone in the queue which says it all.

Whilst buses, houses and energy have gone, leisure half gone the areas have increased and people are more demanding.

Where the Council would do a few basic things, they now have to respond to a a public that has fragmented into many lobbying groups demanding this minor service and that minor service be added to the pubic purse. Notably health and wellbeing where knowledge and advances have outstripped resources.

I bet back in the day Hyndburn's Council's did not a clinical waste collection for example. Now Councillors are expected to be on every resident group giving many voluntary hours. Gone are the days where all you did was one meeting every two months in the town hall.

The clear answer to removing politicians allowances is have a queue of civic minded people willing to do it for free. That will be the day.

Back on thread. There needs to be a review of the Mayorality some time in the future. Maybe one for Ken to look at in his capacity.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 08:52   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
oooh matron
The thing that amazes me about you is you claim to have worked for HBC for 40 years, which is quite strange because it hasn't been in existence that longand if you did have a history of service for HBC can we assume that you upheld the principles you would like to impose on councillors, working for nothing, after all's said and done if you expect councillors to give up I would think on average 20 hours a week to council duties then surely you must have been prepared to do the same for the good of the community yourself, just a thought
Old 29-09-2011, 09:09   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The thing that amazes me about you is you claim to have worked for HBC for 40 years, which is quite strange because it hasn't been in existence that long
They posted they worked for 'the council'.

Old 29-09-2011, 09:13   #45
Give, give, give member

...and of course, councillors should be recompensed for (some of) their time and effort.

Otherwise we'd go back to a time in which only the wealthy could afford to be councillors.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..