Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 10:58   #1
God Member

The price of Oil

Well, they invaded Iraq so that they could ensure a stable supply of the black stuff and yet the price is now at a record high.

That worked well then didn't it.

Even Powergen and the likes are saying that gas prices are set to rise dramatically. This I don't really understand. They already have the equipment in place, the infrastructure to get it to your cooker must have been paid for many times over, they get it for free so why should the price change? They control how much comes out so when demand increases why not just open the tapa bit more?

It also begs the question that much that we do in terms of energy conservation is and soon will be wiped out because of teh rise in demand from developing countries like China.

Thoughts, comments anyone?
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: The price of Oil

I haven't had a gas bill for over a year, despite numerous calls from me to ask for one.

When the bill eventually arrives, and I pay it, the price of gas should go down for the rest of you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11   #3
Senior Member+

its bloody extortion by another name

the reason they're giving for the latest price rises are the death of king fahd of saudi arabia and hte fact aussie have said to their nationals to leave the country

wtf?!

as for the iraq thing - yeah oil is stablised there but usa is gettin a large share of it.

Last edited by Roy; 09-08-2005 at 12:20. Reason: removed swearing
mani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59   #4
God Member

As I've said in other threads, my LPG is still 35p/litre

I doubt I could afford to work where I do if I had topay petrol prices.(600 miles a week @ 30 mpgish=20 gallons @£4 gallon = over £300 a month!!!!)

whereas, 600/21*1.60=PHEW!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 14:38   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
As I've said in other threads, my LPG is still 35p/litre

I doubt I could afford to work where I do if I had topay petrol prices.(600 miles a week @ 30 mpgish=20 gallons @£4 gallon = over £300 a month!!!!)

whereas, 600/21*1.60=PHEW!!!!!!
Forgive my ignorance, but what is LPG?

Is it diesel?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 15:05   #6
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

Is it diesel?

low, pressure, goolies thought that would put a smile on your face gary
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 15:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

Is it diesel?

Liquid Propane Gas.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 15:09   #8
God Member

Liqued Petroleum Gas

Calor gas to most people.

Any car that can run on unleaded can run on LPG.

This is my 3rd LPG car(Previously alfa 155, Saab 9000 and now Volvo V70 2.5 Turbo)
Old 09-08-2005, 17:09   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The Saudis forsee their oil supply diminishing in the next 6 years therefore the building work going on in Dubai. They are building up Dubai as a tourist mecca, putting up swish new hotels etc. They need another industry to fall back on when the oil runs out, so tourism is taking precedence. Our natural resources cannot last forever, as consumption increases resources will decrease and become more expensive.

We would still have reasonable prices if the government didn't tax petrol to the hilt.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 17:09   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats where much of the oil is going as entwi said china and the developing countries out that way,and not just the oil- the INDUSTRY.
Old 09-08-2005, 20:32   #11
God Member

How will the terror master fund their actions without the link to oil simple make it a damn sight more expensive they know the west relies on it. Economic warfare and bombings the blight of or lives
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 00:43   #12
Senior Member+

its frightening to contemplate what will happen as oil supplies go down to the lower levels.
Old 10-08-2005, 00:59   #13
I am Banned

they have been developing cars that can run on alchol or water for years its only now petrol companies are saying they are working on it

makes you wonder how long ago they could have made engines run on other fuels but chose to keep making money of petrol etc

also..

if a car is running on alchol could you be in trouble for drink driving...?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:34   #14
Senior Member+

Well i know that a new oilfield has been discovered off the coast of Africa.Esso bought one of the biggest refineries in the world and closed it down.Thus not enough petrol could be produced automatically pushing up the price. B.M.W have developed a car that runs on Liquid Hydrogen but there are only 4 petrol staions in the whole of Europe.
The car industry are making more lighter cars from Aluminium, A2 The new XK Jaguar,Audi le mans and the new Audi TT.
Mercedes have developed a car with only half the emissions as normal.Honda have a car that is built from recycled materails.
The will is there from the car industry but Governments in Europe are not backing it financially.Instead they just up the car tax on older cars
Old 10-08-2005, 13:21   #15
Senior Member+

LPG is 42p per litre down here, so you're getting it cheap, Entwisi.

I put some petrol in my bike yesterday at 86.9ppl, which is cheaper than T Wells, where it is around 89/90ppl.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..