Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 10:57   #1
Senior Member+

Angry How Much Will This Cost HBC ??? FIRE !

Suspicious flat fire on Warwick Close that could have claimed the life of an innocent elderly lady in her 80's.
HBC had been made aware on numerous occasions that the tennant of the flat in question had been making the life of the elderly lady underneath him a misery. The tennant had got the lady so frightened that everynight she sat behind her frontdoor with her coat on in case she had to get out quick, only this time they waited for her to go to bed and at 1am set the flat above her ablaze.
The tennant in question was on licence from Prison with a tag on. Caused nothing but trouble from the 1st day he arrived on the street. From drunken brawls, loud music, shouting and generally putting windows through.
Good riddence to evil crap i say, pity HBC didnt intervene though. Still their mistake will cost them dearly. The blaze damaged 4 flats ! The old lady has lost everything she owned. Lets hope that she will get some compensation and that it wont take years to come through. She is physically ok from the fire but i dont know how she is emotionally.
I also feel for those who are trying to sell their properties around the flats ! who's going to want to buy with a view like that.

Why dont HBC listen ... or is it a case of Contour Housing are taking over and they can deal with the problems then !

So angry
HBC Tennant ...
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2005, 17:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: How Much Will This Cost HBC ??? FIRE !

Ho dear...hope ive not upset anybody if i have ...sorry !
Old 05-08-2005, 17:14   #3
Resident Waffler

What's happened to the guy who started the fire?

I should imagine the elderly lady will have been affected emotionally. It would have driven me to distraction and for it to have come to such a dramatic end is apalling.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 21:28   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

feel really sorry for the old lady- ive never agreed with tagging scum bags so they can return to upset society early. as far as im concerned they should do the full time they are sentenced to,and if that offends anybody TOUGH.
Old 05-08-2005, 22:21   #5
I am Banned

i dont understand why HBC house these scumbags there are plenty of decent people in need of a home

let them live on the streets so that with a bit of luck the cold weather will kill them off when it comes along
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 22:29   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i dont understand why HBC house these scumbags there are plenty of decent people in need of a home

let them live on the streets so that with a bit of luck the cold weather will kill them off when it comes along
I agree with you wholeheartedly chav, only prob is as HBC and many housing associations/council housing are RSL's (Registered social landlords) they don't have an awful lot to say on who they house and who they don't. It can be very frustrating when as you rightly point out that their are many decent people crying out for housing. We have over 7000 people waiting to be re-housed on our list!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 23:26   #7
I am Banned

as i remember HBC used to have an obligation to house anyone homeless but that obligation got removed a few years ago now if i remember correctly

i also remeber somthing about release convicts from jail having to be housed by the council by law but ime not sure if councils are still obliged to house people just out of jail

i dont know how housing assosiations work but one would think they could pick and choose their tennants and avoid givingthem to idiots etc

i mentioned this before , maybe its time landlords had the same privalages when checking out tennants as security firms do etc so that they can see if a person is a criminal or has any outstanding cases of violence or public disorder crimes etc
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13   #8
Senior Member+

As far as i know the evil tennant is acting "numb" about the fire and i dont know if he is back into custody, i will have to go and see my "ickle friend" at the end of the road to find out more details.

The fire has taken the roof at the back of the property, all double glazed units are blown out and melted, the ceilings to the old ladys flat below so her furniture and personal things are ruined. The two joining flats have smoke damage.

I believe the old lady couldnt afford any insurance on her worldly goods. Just wish at times like this i had loads of money so that i could buy her new furniture just to help her a little. To have to start over again in your 80's is unimagineable.

Chrissie
Old 06-08-2005, 19:08   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
as i remember HBC used to have an obligation to house anyone homeless but that obligation got removed a few years ago now if i remember correctly

i also remeber somthing about release convicts from jail having to be housed by the council by law but ime not sure if councils are still obliged to house people just out of jail

i dont know how housing assosiations work but one would think they could pick and choose their tennants and avoid givingthem to idiots etc

i mentioned this before , maybe its time landlords had the same privalages when checking out tennants as security firms do etc so that they can see if a person is a criminal or has any outstanding cases of violence or public disorder crimes etc
All councils and many housing assoc's have a duty to re-house homeless cases but only those that are found to be homeless under the homelessness legislation (in other words if they are intentionally homeless which is their own fault they will NOT be re-housed). Released convicts fall under the same legislation and just because they have been released from jail does not make them statatory homeless as they have put themselves in that position. It is only in some cases where there is maybe some vulnerability i.e. mental health issues where they may be helped. Many housing assoc's have to work to the same rules as councils as many council housing is now under housing assoc ownership.

all landlords do have access to doing full checks on prospective tenants but only certain things can be taken into consideration. In fact it's getting to the stage where we can take very little into consideration and at times I find this highly frustrating!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 19:33   #10

Do HBC not have a duty of care for this old dear. Surely if they were aware of the problems she was suffering at the hands of this scroat then they should have been taking steps, and I mean urgent , large steps to protect the tenant against him. I know the fear these people suffer in a fire situation and it is not a thing you would wish on anyone. Lets hope she is soon re-housed ina safe place where she feels at peace. Whats more if she lost all her worldly possession's, I and I am sure with the help of members on this site we could get together enough unwanted items to make an old dear comfortable.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 19:34   #11
I am Banned

i can totaly underdstand it been frustrating knowing that you have to put a roof over somones head who will probably trash the place or deal drugs from it

too many laws protecting the criminals and scum as usual

edit:

ime pretty sure the council could have evicted this scumbag before this happened if complaints were made and of a serious enough nature

maybe the council could help her out as well since it was partly their fault

Last edited by chav1; 06-08-2005 at 19:45.
Old 06-08-2005, 19:50   #12
God Member

Hey chav you wanna go up against some of the judges at county court when you are trying to arrange an eviction warrant, it can be a nightmare. They always seem to give the tenant the benefit of the doubt. OOOO now I really can see my frustrations boiling over!!!

Fireman the council will have a duty to re-house this lady as I posted earlier she will now fall under the homelessness legislation as the fire was not her fault and I certainly like the idea of us banding together any stuff we can for her.

As for the scumbag who started this off. I would be happy if someone could pm me with the name if known so I can make sure he is def NOT re-housed by us!! As this is one of the situations where we CAN exclude someone from our list

Old 06-08-2005, 19:55   #13

Lets hope Jimi5 Bellies finds his name out and names and shames the coward.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 20:01   #14

flipin eck to hear that would make me scared to live in accy it really upset me to hear that some one could do the to ony one never mind an old lady.

my thoughts are for the old lady
Old 06-08-2005, 20:08   #15
I am Banned

i hope this old lady has some realy big grandchildren who can have a word with this scumbag as well

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..