Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which is your most common failing?
PRIDE 2 20.00%
AVARICE (GREED) 3 30.00%
ENVY 2 20.00%
WRATH (ANGER) 3 30.00%
LUST 6 60.00%
GLUTTONY 6 60.00%
SLOTH 5 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2011, 10:29   #16
Beacon of light

Re: The Seven Deadly Sins...

Oh and having impure thoughts might be a sin, but they won't lock you up for it as long as you don't translate thoughts into actions!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-11-2011, 10:30   #17
Beacon of light

Today we are up to number 4.......but it is only early yet
If he goes down to the bowling club then there are two hours of his day where he can't get into much trouble...well not with me anyway.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:32   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I deal with it by allowing himself 10 faults per day........my design fault in this method is.....I lose count easily
Makes it sound like horse of the year show... four faults for knocking over a fence...

Question... does he get his oats if he's been good? (absolutely no need to answer!)
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 10:52   #19
Beacon of light

I will draw a veil over that answer. The method must have some merits, we have just clocked up 45 years of marriage......I think that is only because I feel I am too knackered to begin training another man...dogs are a lot more compliant.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:58   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Wrath...for obvious reasons, didn't know you could vote for more than one when i did it
I hace gathered from your posts that you are a feisty lady!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 11:07   #21
God Member

Quote:
None of them.......now does anyone know where I can get this blooming Halo cut off?....it is crushing my brains .

I think my worst sin is to have impure thoughts. And by this I do not mean the ones that involve carnal pursuits. I mean the ones where I think 'if he leaves that cupboard door open again, I am going to kill him'.
I'm sure I am not alone in this......and you can, I am sure think of ones of your own.
Mobertol, perhaps you would file this under Wrath, but to me it isn't in that category, because frequently it isn't 'heated - or angry'....it is just exasperation.
I know exactly what you mean -I have been the same all my life -watch out for the promised "up-rising" (see thread on Birth Order!) -enough is enough!
Not wrath actuall, for me it translates to Sloth -how do i get there -well for a quiet life, do nothing about it -let sleeping dogs lie. Time for revenge - woman bites dog!!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-11-2011, 11:16   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so i'm in wi a load of baddies am i ? i'm perfect.
Never Let The Baddies Get You Down!!

The oldest definition of "perfection", fairly precise and distinguishing the shades of the concept, goes back to Aristotle. In Book Delta of the Metaphysics, he distinguishes three meanings of the term, or rather three shades of one meaning, but in any case three different concepts. That is perfect:

1. which is complete — which contains all the requisite parts; OK

2. which is so good that nothing of the kind could be better; Maybe

3. which has attained its purpose; Possibly

'Fraid you're not the perfect 10 quite yet Cashy -not far off though -keep trying...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-11-2011, 11:26   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Makes it sound like horse of the year show... four faults for knocking over a fence...

Question... does he get his oats if he's been good? (absolutely no need to answer!)
Margaret's halo has just cracked!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-11-2011, 11:49   #24
Beacon of light

Thank God for that! It's only the blooming halo....for a second there I thought it was my spine.
Now, I'll get the halo made a bit bigger.
Old 16-11-2011, 15:49   #25
God Member

Obviously a Saintly lot Accywebbers -245 views and only 23 replies -

Puritans all....

Quite a few of them are mine too....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-11-2011, 16:22   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I am ashamed to say that my 2 main sins have to be Gluttony and Sloth.

Gluttony - I love the finer things in life, good food and drink, great entertainment and experiences. If all of these things are provided by someone else and I do not have to seek them out for myself, then all the better.

Sloth - I just can't be arsed sometimes. I am happy to be apathetic sometimes in order to keep the peace, especially at work. I am often full of good intentions but lack motivation. In other words, my get up and go has got up and gone.

I am not perfect and being the Glutton that I am probably explains the Gallstones that I now have (although I am not overweight). I happen to like the fact that I am not perfect, I think it makes me more interesting.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:30   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
I am ashamed to say that my 2 main sins have to be Gluttony and Sloth.

Gluttony - I love the finer things in life, good food and drink, great entertainment and experiences. If all of these things are provided by someone else and I do not have to seek them out for myself, then all the better.

Sloth - I just can't be arsed sometimes. I am happy to be apathetic sometimes in order to keep the peace, especially at work. I am often full of good intentions but lack motivation. In other words, my get up and go has got up and gone.

I am not perfect and being the Glutton that I am probably explains the Gallstones that I now have (although I am not overweight). I happen to like the fact that I am not perfect, I think it makes me more interesting.
Sorry to hear about the extra stones you're now luggin' about Lettie.

I'm a bit envious. Nay, jealous even.

I'll take 'em off you. x

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:32   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
I will draw a veil over that answer. The method must have some merits, we have just clocked up 45 years of marriage......I think that is only because I feel I am too knackered to begin training another man...dogs are a lot more compliant.
Oo dusti think tha kiddin,training another man, most women think like that. Just how much have you actually trained him, and how much of it is him being crafty mekin thi think tha winnin.
Does he sit up for biscuits like the dog.
By the way thas missd one off thi list Selfishness.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-11-2011 at 16:34. Reason: spell
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:36   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Thank God for that! It's only the blooming halo....for a second there I thought it was my spine.
Now, I'll get the halo made a bit bigger.
Ive got an old iron hoop of a barrel, is that big enough.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:50   #30
God Member

Got little bits of all of 'em ... depends on what's happening in my life ... I like Sloth sometimes, and wouldn't mind having one of them as a pet. Just checked out the seven virtues ... kinda boring, particularly the fides, spes, caritas stuff ... I think that's Latin for "feed us peas and carrots"

I wonder why there are only seven ... surely a creative species such as ours could have come up with another three, so that we could have a nice round number, ten ... like in the ten commandments.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..