Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2010, 11:59   #1

The spirit of Accrington.

Spirit of Accrington

Ghosts

Lancashire - Paranormal Database Records

Nondescript Shape

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1965 - 1966
Further Comments: This house was said to be haunted by a strange shaped entity which glowed and generated a feeling of unease. Bumps and scratching sounds were also heard.

%%%%

There was also a ghost mentioned in the local paper in a local house but at the time I think most discounted that as it was run then as a hotel and nothing had been ‘Heard’ about any haunting before that.

Screaming Girl

Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: This ghostly figure drifts quietly down the road, screaming only if approached. She was burnt to death after having a love affair with one of the monks.

Out Dated Machinery

Date / Time: 1970s
Further Comments: After a night watchman reported an icy entity which took hold of his arm, a tape recorder was left in the same room to see what it would pick up. On playback, the tape was filled with the sounds of working print equipment, though nothing had been activated whilst the recording was in action.

Apple Rain

Type: Other
Date / Time: 8/9 November 1984
Further Comments: Over a period of an hour an estimated three hundred apples rained down on several houses.

Chilly Room

Location: Accrington - Spinning Jenny Club, theatre lounge (no longer standing)
Type: Poltergeist
Further Comments: Visitors to the building would feel freezing air when entering the room, even when the temperature outside rocketed. Lights would also turn themselves off at the most inopportune moments.

Any more? There was one about Springhill House in the Observer I think. Observer not obby,

obby= oh baby.
Pronounced: aw bee.

webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2010, 12:11   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: The spirit of Accrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post
Date / Time: 1965 - 1966
Further Comments: This house was said to be haunted by a strange shaped entity which glowed and generated a feeling of unease. Bumps and scratching sounds were also heard.
Yes, l apologise for that.

I was having a bit of bother transmuting from my last manifestation to the present one.

The bumps were probably caused because I weighed 10lb 2oz at the time I morphed, and the scratching was because of an allergy to a nylon bonnet.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 12:12   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, l apologise for that.

I was having a bit of bother transmuting from my last manifestation to the present one.

The bumps were probably caused because I weighed 10lb 2oz at the time I morphed, and the scratching was because of an allergy to a nylon bonnet.
...as for the unease, that still happens.

Old 20-01-2010, 12:22   #4
God Member

Type: poweerfull spirit
Date / Time: january 2010

upon returning home last weekend i discovered an unopened bottle of vodka chilling in the fridge.Events after the discovery are a bit hazey but the spirit has not been seen since although a path of distruction leading from teh xbox to the bedroom was clear evidence that somthing had gone bump in the night

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 12:33   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Apple Rain

Type: Other
Date / Time: 8/9 November 1984
Further Comments: Over a period of an hour an estimated three hundred apples rained down on several houses.
1984 - unexplained paranormal activities.

Twenty six years later - appearance on Jeremy Kyle show, talking about living next door to neighbours from hell.

Old 20-01-2010, 13:04   #6
I am Banned

[quote=webglynne;780247]

Spirit of Accrington

Screaming Girl

Further Comments: This ghostly figure drifts quietly down the road, screaming only if approached. She was burnt to death after having a love affair with one of the monks.

That one is a load of cow manure, created by the bloke that does ghost walks, I emailed him for documentry evidence, guess what no reply.

There is nothing in the Coucher Book of Kirkstall, or documents of the de Altham family that show any evidence of any such event.

There is also mention of the ghost at Dunkenhalgh, the Accrington Pals put that myth to rest when they were on a night exercise, it was the mist coming off the stream.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 14:33   #7

Screaming Girl

What monks I am tempted to ask?
Old 20-01-2010, 17:25   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Screaming Girl

What monks I am tempted to ask?
Have you not read previous threads on the history of Accrington. Monks from Kirkstall Abbey who by devious means aquired lands in Accrington, from 1192 to when they quit in 1280.
Its as less said in another thread, newcomers should read some of the older threads, to bring themselves up to speed on the subjects they reply to.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-01-2010 at 17:29.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 17:33   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Have you not read previous threads on the history of Accrington. Monks from Kirkstall Abbey who by devious means aquired lands in Accrington, from 1192 to when they quit in 1280.
Its as less said in another thread, newcomers should read some of the older threads, to bring themselves up to speed on the subjects they reply to.

Retlaw.
Oh dear don't mention previous threads, it seems accyweb and it's posts aren't allowed to exist from before he got here!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 19:30   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Chilly Room

Location: Accrington - Spinning Jenny Club, theatre lounge (no longer standing)
Type: Poltergeist
Further Comments: Visitors to the building would feel freezing air when entering the room, even when the temperature outside rocketed. Lights would also turn themselves off at the most inopportune moments.
Might have had something to do with the poor sixties construction, and building materials used. That and the beer sodden carpet, and the leaking bogs.

I wonder if the lights coming on at 'inopportune moments' was accompanied by 'Glasses please!' and 'Have you lot got no homes to go to?'

Old 20-01-2010, 19:50   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There was also a ghost mentioned in the local paper in a local house but at the time I think most discounted that as it was run then as a hotel and nothing had been ‘Heard’ about any haunting before that.
That was The Swinger's Arms, run by two men, Willie Eckerslike - Bobby Tupper.

Old 21-01-2010, 00:50   #12

Some people have things to do so have little time to read all post posted long ago and in many cases are pure dross posted by some unpleasant people.
Old 21-01-2010, 00:58   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Some people have things to do so have little time to read all post posted long ago and in many cases are pure dross posted by some unpleasant people.
Since at least one of the 'stories' was provided by a charlatan, who makes his living from telling tall tales, as pointed out by Retlaw, and who asked, but was provided with no documentary evidence to furnish his 'story', I think there's been nothing posted in this thread that would frighten the horses.

Boo!

Don't have nightmares.

Old 21-01-2010, 10:07   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Since at least one of the 'stories' was provided by a charlatan, who makes his living from telling tall tales, as pointed out by Retlaw, and who asked, but was provided with no documentary evidence to furnish his 'story', I think there's been nothing posted in this thread that would frighten the horses.

Boo!

Don't have nightmares.
I used to regularly wake up at night seeing pink elephants at the end of the bed, the doctor said it would be better if I stopped drinking copious amounts of gin
Old 21-01-2010, 10:43   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I used to regularly wake up at night seeing pink elephants at the end of the bed
Have any of your close friends got a key to your home?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..