Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 15:45   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: This isn't racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Again, thank you for that. It's just a shame that we are now associated with it in this way via this thread.
All publicity is good publicity and you have fully answered and explained the Centres view on the subject which I think has made it a useful discussion.
Old 10-03-2011, 15:51   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Again, thank you for that. It's just a shame that we are now associated with it in this way via this thread.
That's certainly not down to me.

The Civic Arts Centre is promoting Hurried Steps. Which the poster says is 'presented by the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women'.

A group that openly practices and promotes racism, because it excludes people from their events because of ethnicity.

That is wrong, and cannot be defended.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 15:51   #48

If it's any help I knew straight away that Garinda meant the womens group and not the Civic centre. If I picked it up everyone will cos I'm gormless most of the time
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:43   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
If it's any help I knew straight away that Garinda meant the womens group and not the Civic centre. If I picked it up everyone will cos I'm gormless most of the time
Gormless That means you are from the top end, eh
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:45   #50

If above the canal bridge is top end then yes I am
Old 10-03-2011, 19:01   #51
God Member

I think you folks are overly sensitive on the racism thing. Black, minority, and ethnic women face different problems than white women; and poor white women face problems not shared by middle class women. One can't lump all women together merely because they share the same gender, just as one can't lump together all white males, or all whites for that matter. However, I can see how such groups can be seen as divisive, and I do not believe that they should receive public funding as their rights are not at risk from government bias, or from any public institution. What they are at risk from is not government action, but from their own ethnic groups and, in the case of some muslim women, from their husbands and families.

As an aside,I am not anti French Canadian; however, I object to Federal Government money being given to the Bloc Quebecois, a political party dedicated to the break up of Canada and the formation of an independent Quebec state.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:12   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think you folks are overly sensitive on the racism thing. Black, minority, and ethnic women face different problems than white women; and poor white women face problems not shared by middle class women. One can't lump all women together merely because they share the same gender, just as one can't lump together all white males, or all whites for that matter. However, I can see how such groups can be seen as divisive, and I do not believe that they should receive public funding as their rights are not at risk from government bias, or from any public institution. What they are at risk from is not government action, but from their own ethnic groups and, in the case of some muslim women, from their husbands and families.

As an aside,I am not anti French Canadian; however, I object to Federal Government money being given to the Bloc Quebecois, a political party dedicated to the break up of Canada and the formation of an independent Quebec state.
The problem over here is that the racism card only seems to work one way, thats what gets peoples backs up, positive discrimination seems to be loaded towards the minorities and if the majority speaks against it they are deemed racist? Go figure
Old 10-03-2011, 19:12   #53

I don't mind them having groups specifically for black and ethnic minority women as long as I am allowed to do the same and have a group for a specific type of person. (ie: white women, say from abusive relationships for example) Unfortunately I'm not allowed. I am allowed a group for women from abusive relationships but I have to include all women and in some cases men, regardless of colour so I can't see how this group is allowed to exclude white people
Old 10-03-2011, 19:27   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Black, minority, and ethnic women face different problems than white women...What they are at risk from is not government action, but from their own ethnic groups and, in the case of some muslim women, from their husbands and families.
If that is the case, keeping such women in groups that are openly separatist, along racial lines, will only add to, and further their isolation from society at large.

Positive discrimination never solves anything, in the long-term.

Most times it just masks real problems.

Yes, we all face different difficulties in life.

But ultimately we are all the same, at least in this country, and should always be treated as equals.

Old 10-03-2011, 19:29   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
I can't see how this group is allowed to exclude white people
As British law stands, which makes racial discrimination unlawful in this country, neither do I.

Old 10-03-2011, 19:37   #56
God Member

What would be the reaction if someone set up an English Native Aboriginal Womens Cultural group? I wonder what the BBC and the Guardian would make of it?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:38   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If that is the case, keeping such women in groups that are openly separatist, along racial lines, will only add to, and further their isolation from society at large.

Positive discrimination never solves anything, in the long-term.

Most times it just masks real problems.

Yes, we all face different difficulties in life.

But ultimately we are all the same, at least in this country, and should always be treated as equals.
The problem is some are more equal than others
Old 10-03-2011, 19:46   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
The problem is some are more equal than others
Sadly that appears to be the case.

This group, advertising events that only black, or ethnic minority women can attend, is no different from those boarding houses in the fifties, which had signs in their windows saying 'No blacks or Irish'.

Racism is wrong.

Regardless of who the target happens to be.

Old 10-03-2011, 19:53   #59
God Member

wasnt there a pub on blackburn road converted into a muslim girls only school a few years back?

I think its gone now with the new houses but it used to be near the church traffic lights

to me that is also wrong because christian schools are not allowed to refuse muslims and there would be hell to pay if they did

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:57   #60
Senior Member+

Totally agree , but it seems to me that its hard for the powers that be to balance the racism scales so thats its equal and fair to all black,white ,yellow whatever.Its a delicate business the race thing but as i have said at the moment it seems to be loaded towards discrimination against the good old white anglo saxon male/female.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..