Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 20:02   #61
God Member

Re: This isn't racist?

we have a lot of chineese over here but you never hear them complaining , moaning and demanding special treatment. Nor do you hear much from the polish,croation and all the other so called minorities.

i guess some groups just expect more than others

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2011, 20:08   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If that is the case, keeping such women in groups that are openly separatist, along racial lines, will only add to, and further their isolation from society at large.

Positive discrimination never solves anything, in the long-term.

Most times it just masks real problems.

Yes, we all face different difficulties in life.

But ultimately we are all the same, at least in this country, and should always be treated as equals.
I agree with your points; however (there's always an "however" isn't there), in my opinion, whatever the law states about equality seems to apply only in the, for want of a better word, philosophical sense. I seem to remember that in the Poll Tax debate someone mentioned that a pensioner living on a small fixed income would pay the same tax as the Duke of Westminster (that's the guy who owns London isn't it). There are levels and degrees of equality that don't seem to be addressed by the "all men are created equal" bs. And if some feel the need to form a group of like minded individuals, as long as they do not actively promote hatred, and as long as they don't ask for public funding, then I don't have a problem with it. I don't care what color they are. What seems to be at issue here is not the exclusivity of a small group of women, but the larger question of how Britain has been changed to the disadvantage of native Britons. In a democracy this question should be addressed by parliament following the wishes of the majority expressed in a democratic election. Your government doesn't seem to be doing this, and for the life of me, I can't see why.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 20:09   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
If above the canal bridge is top end then yes I am
As far as I can remember, and it's been a while, it's above the Load of Mischief, or where the Load used to be.
Old 10-03-2011, 20:57   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I agree with your points; however (there's always an "however" isn't there), in my opinion, whatever the law states about equality seems to apply only in the, for want of a better word, philosophical sense. I seem to remember that in the Poll Tax debate someone mentioned that a pensioner living on a small fixed income would pay the same tax as the Duke of Westminster (that's the guy who owns London isn't it). There are levels and degrees of equality that don't seem to be addressed by the "all men are created equal" bs. And if some feel the need to form a group of like minded individuals, as long as they do not actively promote hatred, and as long as they don't ask for public funding, then I don't have a problem with it. I don't care what color they are. What seems to be at issue here is not the exclusivity of a small group of women, but the larger question of how Britain has been changed to the disadvantage of native Britons. In a democracy this question should be addressed by parliament following the wishes of the majority expressed in a democratic election. Your government doesn't seem to be doing this, and for the life of me, I can't see why.
My beef is that such groups are receiving public funding, and that technically what they are doing, i.e. hosting events that aren't open to all races, is unlawful.

Support organisations, for groups of similar ethnicity, might help some in the short-term.

Personally I've always been more in favour of integration, rather than creating and living in self-imposed ghettos.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 21:17   #65
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
My beef is that such groups are receiving public funding, and that technically what they are doing, i.e. hosting events that aren't open to all races, is unlawful.

Support organisations, for groups of similar ethnicity, might help some in the short-term.

Personally I've always been more in favour of integration, rather than creating and living in self-imposed ghettos.
Perhaps a letter to 'uman rights asking them to take the case on for you would bear fruit?

(I could hardly type that for laughing).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 21:50   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps a letter to 'uman rights asking them to take the case on for you would bear fruit?

(I could hardly type that for laughing).

Perhaps I should ask Cherie Blair to take the case.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 22:16   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Perhaps I should ask Cherie Blair to take the case.

If you do make sure you get legal aid, don't go private.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 22:59   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
wasnt there a pub on blackburn road converted into a muslim girls only school a few years back?

I think its gone now with the new houses but it used to be near the church traffic lights

to me that is also wrong because christian schools are not allowed to refuse muslims and there would be hell to pay if they did
Yes there was, it was the Antley and as you say it is long gone now. And as you also point out christian schools are not allowed to refuse pupils from a different religion (if there are places to spare and applicants live in the catchment area).
Old 10-03-2011, 23:20   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What would be the reaction if someone set up an English Native Aboriginal Womens Cultural group? I wonder what the BBC and the Guardian would make of it?
I didn't realize that you had Aboriginal people in the UK?

Which reminds me: someone who is now a good friend of mine once asked me about the condition of the First Nations people in England. Puzzled, I had to respond: In England, people like me are the First Nations. Maybe some folks still regard immigrants as "settlers" (that's what the First Nations here call the rest of us). It's a lot different over here. The majority of Canadians are from somewhere else, or descended from people who were from somewhere else. The Canadians most prone to maintaining their original identity, and making sure that immigrants fit in to their way of thinking, are the Quebecois. They have been here the longest, and form a tight knit, homogenous group.

However, I have to admit that if I were still in England, I would be of the opinion that new arrivals should fit in or eff off. Over here, we are still creating our national identity. You guys have one that has been crafted over centuries, and it seems only reasonable that you are unwilling to give it up.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Quote:
The phrase 'ethnic minority' means a group that has different national or cultural traditions from the majority of the population
Semantically, their definition doesn't make sense. It implies that if you put a Brit, a Canadian, a Pole, a Chinaman, an Irishman etc in a room they would each be an ethnic minority even though each ethnic group is equally represented.

Of course one could also infer that it means "British" ethnic group could be eventually classed as an ethnic minority if the sum of all the other ethnic groups' populations exceed its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
...to me that is also wrong because christian schools are not allowed to refuse muslims and there would be hell to pay if they did
Is that true? I know they can prioritise certain religions, as I was told at about this time last year not to bother wasting a choice on my lad's secondary school application form by going for one particular school, because he had minimal chance for getting in as he's not baptised a Catholic.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:56   #71
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Is that true? I know they can prioritise certain religions, as I was told at about this time last year not to bother wasting a choice on my lad's secondary school application form by going for one particular school, because he had minimal chance for getting in as he's not baptised a Catholic.
Probably something to do with the fact that discrimination is only seen by the bleaters as being something that only happens against those of a different culture & colour. As your boy's white, British, Christian (I assume protestant), well that's just your problem & you've got to get on with it, seems to be the attitude.

Now, had they said it against someone who speaks differently or has a skin tone different to white, there would've been outrage one would assume & every type of equalities enforcer would be out in support of the poor offended.

I may be wrong & way of the mark, but as a Brit abroad, looking in to Uk today that's how it appears to be to me.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What would be the reaction if someone set up an English Native Aboriginal Womens Cultural group? I wonder what the BBC and the Guardian would make of it?
No doubt the BBC would get Rajesh Mirchandani on the case
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Probably something to do with the fact that discrimination is only seen by the bleaters as being something that only happens against those of a different culture & colour. As your boy's white, British, Christian (I assume protestant), well that's just your problem & you've got to get on with it, seems to be the attitude.

Now, had they said it against someone who speaks differently or has a skin tone different to white, there would've been outrage one would assume & every type of equalities enforcer would be out in support of the poor offended.

I may be wrong & way of the mark, but as a Brit abroad, looking in to Uk today that's how it appears to be to me.
You've hit the nail on the head there
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 20:34   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

So you reckon if a black british born boys protestant parents had applied for the same catholic school and got a refusal there would have been all types of "equalities enforcers" out in support?...in your own words you are looking at this as a Brit abroad.. it shows ..you are out of touch mate.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 20:40   #75
God Member

It strikes me that all this is not really racist.. it's more like "exclusionist"..or "exclusionism"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..