Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2013, 00:47   #1

This months ugly building selection

I keep an eye on Pugh-auctions.co to see what bargain buildings come up for sale in the town. This month there's only one place coming up for sale, usually there are multiple.

May only be one this month but by god it is ugly http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Lot/Man...r/20130425/104.

What amazes me about buildings like this is that at one time a developer and the local council said "yea, nice, this is just what the town needs....." Council should compulsory purchase it, level the site and plant some flowers by way of an apology.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2013, 07:26   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: This months ugly building selection

Be interesting to know when it was built? The owd Ritz cinema was yon, wi Barnes Furniture shop at the bottom end. Agree its a damn ugly building though.
Old 24-03-2013, 08:55   #3
Beacon of light

It cannot compete in the ugliness stakes with the council offices at the town hall end of broadway though....the ones with the shops underneath..........that is a real eyesore...even the Highams bombsite(where they knocked down the mill) is prettier than that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 11:47   #4

As I think I may have mentioned in a previous post; the building is a potential deathtrap,one part has no roof,having been the victim of an arsonist attack,the brickwork has now begun to break off and the archway above the gateway is crumbling.I know that the council have tried to get the owners to improve the site,but to no avail.
Knock it down and build a car park/garden area?

Last edited by Lampman; 24-03-2013 at 11:55.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 12:03   #5

Here is a photo of the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barnes1.jpg (489.7 KB, 68 views)
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 18:09   #6

"Barnes of Accrington" Ritz Corner, Church Street, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 2EW | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
mobertol likes this.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 18:32   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Here is a photo of the area.
What a mess
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 18:49   #8
God Member

Luxury! Bloody luxury! Wen I wur a lad, I wud 'av gi'en owt to live in a palace like this 'un.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 00:16   #9

Quite an irony that the address is Ritz corner...... couldnt be further removed from the Ritz.

Nice pictures, but again, what's with the roof tiles on the walls? I don't recall that ever being a building style.

Planning permission to convert into 5 shop units is clearly pointless because it couldnt survive as a shop, nor even as a firewood seller. The council can't get the existing owners to deal with it because they've gone bust, this is a sale on behalf of the receivers.

Hopefully someone will take it on, but in truth the council should have grasped the nettle on this, exercised powers of compulsory purchase - had it valued - market value is probably $5000 (the value of the tile on the walls) and leveled it. By all means then sell the plot to a housebuilder, or anyone that wants it.

I can see the dilemma with historic facades like the Conservative Club, but this one is not up for debate!
Old 25-03-2013, 10:21   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Luxury! Bloody luxury! Wen I wur a lad, I wud 'av gi'en owt to live in a palace like this 'un.
Urban decay..I'll show you urban decay, here's an old photo from the factory bottoms in the early 50's. I'm the getaway driver and I think that's Atarah on the roof showing her nicks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill Swale.jpg (38.3 KB, 52 views)
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 11:47   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Hopefully someone will take it on, but in truth the council should have grasped the nettle on this, exercised powers of compulsory purchase - had it valued - market value is probably $5000 (the value of the tile on the walls) and leveled it.
Only a rumour but if it doesn't sell at auction I've heard thats exactly what will happen
Old 25-03-2013, 14:45   #12

This months ugly building selection

Excellent, thanks Dave. The only way this place is going to make its 50k reserve is if its sitting on a diamond mine. Good to hear there is a plan D
Old 25-03-2013, 18:52   #13
God Member

Quote:
Excellent, thanks Dave. The only way this place is going to make its 50k reserve is if its sitting on a diamond mine. Good to hear there is a plan D
Not sure about plan D, possibly plan z, only a grapevine job at the moment
Old 26-03-2013, 00:03   #14

Quote:
I keep an eye on Pugh-auctions.co to see what bargain buildings come up for sale in the town. This month there's only one place coming up for sale, usually there are multiple.

May only be one this month but by god it is ugly Lot 104 - Pugh - Property Vendors and Auctioneers.

What amazes me about buildings like this is that at one time a developer and the local council said "yea, nice, this is just what the town needs....." Council should compulsory purchase it, level the site and plant some flowers by way of an apology.
Was this the site of Accrington Hippodrome 60 odd years ago ? I would like to know where that place was........Tony
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 00:10   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No-where near mate Hippodrome was down ellison st, off Blackburn Rd, by Spread Eagle pub.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..