Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 19:25   #31
JCB

Re: This what we are up against

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
labour/tory lib-dems are full of promise all promise..
I have lived through governments led by Clem Attlee , Winston Churchill , Anthony Eden , Harold Macmillan , Sir Alec Douglas Home , Harold Wilson , Ted Heath , Jim Callaghan , Margaret Thatcher , John Major , Tony Blair , Gordon Brown , and David Cameron .

Take a hard look at them . ( I refer to Winston Churchill as a peace-time prime minister ) .
How many of them could we say were full of promise ?
How many made a lasting impact on our country ?

I can only name two , Clem Attlee and Margaret Thatcher . The former for the better , the latter for the worse . The rest were pretty mediocre .

I have little faith in what politicians can achieve .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2010, 20:24   #32
Senior Member+

Crime rose every year since 1945 except under Michael 'prisons work' Howards time as Home Secretary in 1996.

Labour since 1997 has doubled the prison population (80,000 now) I believe and crime depending on which statistic you believe has been cut by 36% or 42%.

Controversial indefinite sentences and a raising of tariffs, along with more Police, PCSO's has returned crime to around 1972 levels.

The first post war government to cut crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
John, you're off down the road of Labour's past mistakes again, something which I acknowledge and isn't in any way productive. I personally consider the sale of the Arndale Centre to be a mistake but it was way before my time and griping about it won't help.

I'm talking about the here and now and what can actually be done to improve the borough, identifying mistakes that really shouldn't be being made in the immediate future.
The Councils share in the Arndale Centre (10%?) was sold to raise money for another project, the Globe Centre I believe by then Council Leader George Slynn.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 20:41   #33

If there is one thing that all the parties are good at it's manipulating numbers to suit their needs. Just look at how they change and alter the criterior for what makes you jobless, Just being out of work might not necessarily mean you are unemployed. Commiting certain crimes might not make you a criminal. But it's what they will do to make them seem good and cling on to power.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 21:13   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
If there is one thing that all the parties are good at it's manipulating numbers to suit their needs. Just look at how they change and alter the criterior for what makes you jobless, Just being out of work might not necessarily mean you are unemployed. Commiting certain crimes might not make you a criminal. But it's what they will do to make them seem good and cling on to power.
72 words where 3 will do. Crime has fallen.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 21:30   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Well that may be true, is it not also true Violent Crime has risen?
Old 04-11-2010, 21:40   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well that may be true, is it not also true Violent Crime has risen?
so has the population ,and other major factors.
Old 04-11-2010, 21:47   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
so has the population ,and other major factors.
yeh like smacked hands n lesser sentences.
Old 04-11-2010, 22:23   #38

There are lots of things not classed as crimes anymore that used to be, therfore the figures come down.
Old 04-11-2010, 23:31   #39
God Member

Quote:
If you live in cloud cuckcoo land maybe but as most of us live in the real world it is obvious to a fool that figures can and are manipulated No crime has not fallen, the way it is recorded may have been but then again it is all done for political gain But guess what? We aren't all as green as we're cabbage looking and the manipulated figures don't speak the truth to your average person on the street
Old 05-11-2010, 00:09   #40

Thank you Bernadette. I suppose one day someone will ask a politician a question and get a straight answer, BUT i'm not holding my breath.. They have one agenda and thats their own.
Old 05-11-2010, 00:14   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Crime rose every year since 1945 except under Michael 'prisons work' Howards time as Home Secretary in 1996.

Labour since 1997 has doubled the prison population (80,000 now) I believe and crime depending on which statistic you believe has been cut by 36% or 42%.

Controversial indefinite sentences and a raising of tariffs, along with more Police, PCSO's has returned crime to around 1972 levels.

The first post war government to cut crime.

The Councils share in the Arndale Centre (10%?) was sold to raise money for another project, the Globe Centre I believe by then Council Leader George Slynn.
The Globe Centre was mainly funded by Single Regeneration Bid Money, the first round, and European Regional Development Fund Money. It was essentially about job creation, which is why we got the funding. There was approximately 1000 jobs created at the Globe. We also saved that area in my opnion from becoming an environmental disaster.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:45   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There was approximately 1000 jobs created at the Globe.
How many people are employed in the building today.

Anyone know?

Not making any particular point, just curious.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:56   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
. There was approximately 1000 jobs created at the Globe. .
I don't think that is actually true Bernard, maybe 1000 job places were created, Airtours moved there operation there, as did the housing Department of HBC (now Hyndburn Homes) Lancashire County Council also moved some staff there, these weren't new jobs just, jobs transferred from other places
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
How many people are employed in the building today.

Anyone know?

Not making any particular point, just curious.

Its not that figure now. I'm not sure what the number of jobs is now there. Several companies who moved in at the start are not there now for one reason or another. But there's still quite a few jobs there

At the time it was all about job creation, and for a local authority the size of Hyndburn to be involved in creating that many jobs was quite an achievement.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:02   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Its not that figure now. I'm not sure what the number of jobs is now there. Several companies who moved in at the start are not there now for one reason or another. But there's still quite a few jobs there

At the time it was all about job creation, and for a local authority the size of Hyndburn to be involved in creating that many jobs was quite an achievement.
Thanks Bernard.

Just interested as to how many people are employed there now.

I know there were losses when Airtours were taken over, but then some call centre job (450?) were transferred from County Hall earlier this year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..