Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2005, 12:28   #1
God Member

Those decision you make

Isn't it strange how every so often you get a decision to make that whilst in itself it isn't important it makes you feel you've done 'The Right Thing'

I have some speakers, they are excellent ones made by a company called Quad back in the late 60's. I'm only their second owner and I've owned them for 18 years. Well, they are a bit big, oh and did I mention ugly? But they sound AMAZING. Well, I was thinking about selling them. A guy was coming up from Kent to listen to mine and a pair in Manchester and was due tonight. Well last night I thought I'd better get them out and make sure everything is setup OK as I haven't used them for a couple of years. So last night I spent an hour or 2 listening to them and then listening to the same music through my 'everyday' speakers, some floor standing KEF's. At 10PM last night I decided I couldn't sell them as they sound so good and are in such excellent condition that there is no way I would ever find a pair like them again. So I rang the guy and told him I'd changed my mind.

This morning I feel that I have done 'The right thing' so my Quads will live on in my ownership. Thank God for good music....

Or am I daft?
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2005, 13:04   #2
I am Banned

Re: Those decision you make

No entwisi u just made sure u was making the right decision n sometimes we have to go thro daft measures to make it, i had the same thing a few days ago sorting out my tape cassette drawer that was in disaray n needed a sort out n thought wouldnt it be ace to let go of at least half of that crap...... errr i did but there was a few un-named tapes that i had to spend most of the day making sure they was crap b4 throwing em out...... n after all that only one of those was kept LOL.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 13:10   #3
Beacon of light

No......I don't think you are mad........I am a squirrel at heart and find it verydifficult parting with the most mundane things.
I was going to have a sort out recently and give some stuff to the Charity shops.......I sat down and started to try and sort through what is basically 'tat'. In the end I kept most of the stuff because of memories attached to it.......I know, I know......there will be people out there tutting.....but I can't help it. I'm not ready to de-clutter my life yet!

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-03-2005 at 13:11. Reason: sausage fingers....oops!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 13:19   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
my Quads will live on in my ownership. Thank God for good music....
Will you be using them or are they going back in hiding for another couple of years?
Old 29-03-2005, 13:20   #5
I am Banned

LOL Margaret i've just done a massive spring clean consisted of parting with all the things n crap ive horded n during this sort out the amount of times ive asked myself why ive kept such n such that is now either recycled or binned, i pity the recycle men this week lol n even worse ive managed to fill my grey bin already.... got to try to cram another general weeks n a bit rubbish of non recycables yet eeek!!! But least my house is rid of crap its been a gr8 declutterisation of emotional mental clutter of the brain as psychologists would say lol.
Old 29-03-2005, 13:38   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

anything that makes great sound is well worth hanging on to,sod wether its big and ugly,its what comes out that counts.although i am very biased as far as good music goes.
Old 29-03-2005, 13:41   #7
I am Banned

so true Cashman n u dont get many speakers that look n sound gr8 at the same time there is usually a flaw somewhere n i'd opt for sound lol
Old 29-03-2005, 13:54   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Will you be using them or are they going back in hiding for another couple of years?
Permission has been granted to 're-arrange' the lounge to fit them in. So they will be getting plenty of use from now on.

For anyone interested in what they look like I'll try and dig out a link or post a piccy. For those competant with Google they are ESL57's

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 16:37   #9

I use to work for a really wonderful teacher, only trouble was she would never throw anything away. Most people dreaded going into her classroom as you couldn't get in the cupboards or near her desk for all the clutter. She came to dread but at the same time look forward to going on courses, sick leave or anything that took her away from the classroom. I would be there with a bin bag de-cluttering, in fact i quite enjoyed doing it. Wish i could do the same at home with my cupboards, drawers etc.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 16:44   #10
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
This morning I feel that I have done 'The right thing' so my Quads will live on in my ownership. Thank God for good music....

Or am I daft?
Now't daft about that entwisi, thank god for a good pair of Quads......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 17:08   #11
I am Banned

LOL Sara i was the same up until recently like o'er past few days the crap ive shifted is unbeleiveable n im sure i'll find more hidden the trick is to be strict with yourself even imagine its someone elses its scary at 1st n the good thing about a shredder is that u cant unshred LOL n once u get into it its easy enough n do u know i feel much better now its had a full clear out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
I use to work for a really wonderful teacher, only trouble was she would never throw anything away. Most people dreaded going into her classroom as you couldn't get in the cupboards or near her desk for all the clutter. She came to dread but at the same time look forward to going on courses, sick leave or anything that took her away from the classroom. I would be there with a bin bag de-cluttering, in fact i quite enjoyed doing it. Wish i could do the same at home with my cupboards, drawers etc.
Old 29-03-2005, 17:10   #12
I am Banned

N the other thing is ive to do is make sure i dont hoad owt else n keep on top of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
LOL Sara i was the same up until recently like o'er past few days the crap ive shifted is unbeleiveable n im sure i'll find more hidden the trick is to be strict with yourself even imagine its someone elses its scary at 1st n the good thing about a shredder is that u cant unshred LOL n once u get into it its easy enough n do u know i feel much better now its had a full clear out
Old 29-03-2005, 17:11   #13
God Member

Only thing with having a de-clutter do you not think further on down the line now were did i put...................? Oh yeah I threw it away with my last de-clutter and then really regret it
Old 29-03-2005, 17:16   #14
I am Banned

LOL well its tough now altho having pondered that thought n have to say is all that crap worth keepin for just in case obviously important documents n real sentimental to be kept but anything else bin things ive found were old bills been paid derrr why keep it hahaha only trouble is Tinks i tried to convince u b4 n u were 'aving none of it pmsl!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Only thing with having a de-clutter do you not think further on down the line now were did i put...................? Oh yeah I threw it away with my last de-clutter and then really regret it
Old 29-03-2005, 17:20   #15
I am Banned

call it emotional n psychological cleansing n the stuff ive let go off this yr has been unbelievable im shocked only special kids stuff n recent stuff is most i have now....even some of my tapes have gone gee n i havent pined for it happy its gone n over with gee i must have it bad lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..