Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 20:20   #1

Time to Go Plastic

I know a number of you reading this may not ever be effected by this and the sound of having your half of mild or pint of tetleys best being served into a plastic glass would be sacrilidge...... However with this in mind would people have the same view if their son or daughter or family member returned home from a night out with facial stitches due to a glassing incident.

I have now campaigned for this for 2 years across Lancashire to introduce a glass ban on the night time economy for venues trading past 23.00pm.

I have written a proposal which has been sent to our local MP Mr Graham Jones and which has also now been used as a mandate for the Lancashire Police Commisioner up for Election in October.

I know a number of you will be un affected by this however in this weeks Accrington Observer the Landlord of the Cross Guns pub in church was subjected to a glassing for simply asking a customer not to take a glass outside due to his licensing laws

Now i know some people will obviously use this as a target to fire some comedy gold however i think its now time that we got as much support for this as possible as alone in Hyndburn over the last year their has been well over 10 glassing incidents.

As much as people may think this is a national problem not just a local problem, but when is enough enough and i am sure youll agree if one of your relations turned up looking like they had been in a car accident through a glassing or bottling that we would all be the first to be outraged.

Think its time for all landlords across the country to issue duty of care to all members of public that patronise their venues irrespective of the extra cost which is actually down to pence
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2012, 20:23   #2
God Member

Re: Time to Go Plastic

The correct resolution would of course be for the justice system to do it's job and punish people severely for 'glassing'. As this won't be an option plastic glasses is the only way to go
Old 07-09-2012, 20:25   #3
Senior Member+

As long as my beer is well kept I have no preference.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 20:39   #4

I introduced Plastic Glasses and Plastic Bottles and where not available we either de canter the bottle or offer and Alu Can alternative, we introduced this on our own initiative and not through an attack in the venue, However its now becoming very worrying scenario that its going to be the actions of after a fatal attack that these changes come into place.

I am hoping that with the proposal that has been laid out that a potential trial run can be held in Accrington and once successful be introduced through out the country.

One of the main arguments for landlords is cost and availability of PET bottles rather than glass as PET are around £5.00 dearer per case, however their are 3 ways of dealing with this, Stay with the glass version and de canter, Divide the extra by the case and add on to the retail price or Find a Alu can alternative
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 21:02   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The correct resolution would of course be for the justice system to do it's job and punish people severely for 'glassing'.
That should be the answer- understand were yer coming from Leon, But its using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut in my view. Making the majority of responsible people suffer, cos no-one has the balls to tackle the real issue.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:03   #6

I think it depends on the time and location. I never go out at night but enjoy going to my local after work and on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I would hate to drink from a plastic glass and would take exception to it. But in town and city centre pubs at night I think it would solve a lot of problems.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:27   #7
Give, give, give member

I've been to late night venues locally, and sad to say, I think it would be a good move.

I wish you well with your campaign.

It'll probably save a lot of misery for some innocent people, out trying to have a good night.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:01   #8

Much as I prefer glass, to plastic 'glasses', they aren't THAT bad. I think it's a good idea. I agree, if the dullards that use glasses/glass bottles as their weapon were sufficiently punished, it may curb the crimes, but I think that's unlikely.
Also, it's sad that old pubs are suffering because of idiots-plastic glasses are fine in dodgy nightclubs, but at my local I can't imagine old Jimmy sitting at the bar with a plastic beaker instead of a tankard, or at least whilst being happy about it!
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats the real problem to me sugermouse, most people give in to these louts.its governments job to see these scum are punished, if they can't or won't then people should remember,come the time.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:32   #10

It makes me worry what next. Are the pavements to be padded and our windows all made from pirex...
I don't know. Even when we still hung folk, plenty of people were criminals. Then again we weren't so adept at catching them back then......
I go to at least two festivals a year and have to admit I appreciate the plastic 'glasses' at those types of events. There will ALWAYS be the resident knob-end in a crowd. And, accidents happen, I feel much happier with a plastic cup in my hand in case I get knocked into..
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post
I know a number of you reading this may not ever be effected by this and the sound of having your half of mild or pint of tetleys best being served into a plastic glass would be sacrilege...... However with this in mind would people have the same view if their son or daughter or family member returned home from a night out with facial stitches due to a glassing incident.

I have now campaigned for this for 2 years across Lancashire to introduce a glass ban on the night time economy for venues trading past 23.00pm.

I have written a proposal which has been sent to our local MP Mr Graham Jones and which has also now been used as a mandate for the Lancashire Police Commisioner up for Election in October.

I know a number of you will be un affected by this however in this weeks Accrington Observer the Landlord of the Cross Guns pub in church was subjected to a glassing for simply asking a customer not to take a glass outside due to his licensing laws

Now i know some people will obviously use this as a target to fire some comedy gold however i think its now time that we got as much support for this as possible as alone in Hyndburn over the last year their has been well over 10 glassing incidents.

As much as people may think this is a national problem not just a local problem, but when is enough enough and i am sure you'll agree if one of your relations turned up looking like they had been in a car accident through a glassing or bottling that we would all be the first to be outraged.

Think its time for all landlords across the country to issue duty of care to all members of public that patronise their venues irrespective of the extra cost which is actually down to pence
Leon I worked in the night club industry over 30 years ago and on some nights we used plastic glasses even then, I think there is a genuine case for plastic glasses in town centre establishments, but by the same yard stick do they still allow customers to drink out of bottles and if so are they plastic too. I would think the incident in with the landlord is an isolated incident I wouldn't like to see plastic glasses in say my local, but there may come a time when it will come into force, but people like yourself can preempt it by, if you already don't, doing it yourselves.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39   #12
Senior Member+

The day they introduce plastic drinking receptacles in the nice quiet Club where I drink will be the last time I renew my membership.
Nothing better than sitting on a bar stool drinking from a pint glass with a handle on it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It would be a shame if the majority of law abiding legal drinkers were forced by an unruly minority to have to sup from plastic tumblers, we are after all supposed to be a civilised society, the type of crime being described isn't pretty and I would imagine it is something that could happen to almost any of us when the violent among us decide to use a glass as a weapon and that is what it becomes when used in this manner.
So yes, the law should be used as a deterrent against these people but, knowing how toothless our law has become I would think that the road leading to us all having to drink from these disgusting plastic replacements will be inevitable.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06   #14
Senior Member+

would the type of individual that uses "a weapon", not just replace the weapon? and where do we draw the line?
human nature to fight, alcohol fuels anger and impairs judgement, pool cues,bar stools, tables, wall fixtures among many other things have been used as weapons.
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:17   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
would the type of individual that uses "a weapon", not just replace the weapon? and where do we draw the line?
human nature to fight, alcohol fuels anger and impairs judgement, pool cues,bar stools, tables, wall fixtures among many other things have been used as weapons.
Think your right, well I know your right, I've been in the middle of it when its gone off, stools pool cues even tables are used, so glasses are just another weapon, but with nastier outward effects on a victim. Think your right about sitting at the bar, although I'm unable to do that anymore I would hate, no even cringe at the thought of holding a plastic glass full of my favourite tipple

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..