Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 18:53   #46
Senior Member+

Re: To old to drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think there are many insureres who discount their rates for younger drivers......I know that some insurers do discount for women drivers, but Saga only insure those over 50 years of age(at a discounted rate).
nobody mentioned discounted rates but whilst on that subject, saga do so because the main stream insurance companies class older drivers as a high risk, meaning higher premiums... ... does that not tell its own story or you gonna carry on giving the drivel !!!!...

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!

Last edited by BLACKBURN RAVER; 10-02-2010 at 18:56.
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2010, 19:00   #47
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
what have they to fear by being re-tested....well, actually nothing.....other than the fact that their ability to drive safely and with some confidence is being brought into question after probably many years of safe motoring....that alone will put some older drivers off.
I think that as we get older we don't notice our reactions times slowing down. The aches and pains that make it take longer to hit the brake pedal or even press it as hard as when we were younger.

Anyone he is afraid to take a driving test should seriously question why and I suspect many would be worried they would fail.
Old 10-02-2010, 19:28   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Well said Margaret - have a look at the Insurance rates for older drivers at Saga - much lower rates than a 20/30/40 year old yuppie, so who has the most accidents?
err, not quite mate,
next door neighbour, well into saga world, pays 500 quid fully comp for a Nissan Note group 3 insurance, I at the same time ( 39 YO ) paid 350 fully comp for a group 20 300bhp 4.2 V8.

so where is this lower rates for older drivers then?

You will aslo find once you get over 70 the number of companies that will even cover you reduces dramatically

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 19:37   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
bring in health, drug and character tests
Now that would get many young drivers off the road, and the elderly would be alone and safe to drive on less busy roads, many youngsters drink very heavily, and drink stuff that would bleach denim, lord knows what it does to their health, and drugs are rife, social drug taking is on the increase and I think many people have no idea how rife it actually is.
Old 10-02-2010, 19:54   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Now that would get many young drivers off the road, and the elderly would be alone and safe to drive on less busy roads, many youngsters drink very heavily, and drink stuff that would bleach denim, lord knows what it does to their health, and drugs are rife, social drug taking is on the increase and I think many people have no idea how rife it actually is.
I would say that is an unjust and sweeping statement, as would a statement that all drivers over 50 aren't fit to be on the road, in both cases there are some that shouldn't be on the road however the majority drivers in both groups are sensible and fit enough to drive.

I think it would be a mistake to turn this thread into a young drivers verses old drivers, we need to weed out the bad drivers of all ages.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 20:05   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I would say that is an unjust and sweeping statement, as would a statement that all drivers over 50 aren't fit to be on the road, in both cases there are some that shouldn't be on the road however the majority drivers in both groups are sensible and fit enough to drive.

I think it would be a mistake to turn this thread into a young drivers verses old drivers, we need to weed out the bad drivers of all ages.

I couldnt justify my comments without incriminating others, but your comments show me that you seem to be in the group of many I mentioned who have no idea how rife social drug taking has become, and I refer to hard drugs like cocaine, not cannabis and the like.
Old 10-02-2010, 20:12   #52
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
but your comments show me that you seem to be in the group of many I mentioned who have no idea how rife social drug taking has become,
Nice conclusion you've just jumped to there Derek.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 20:36   #53
Senior Member+

Lot of ill-judged replies here in my humble opinion, the poor bloke concerned is barely cold.
Let's just consider how many years driving experience this chap has probably had, the fact that railings wouldn't have made a great deal of difference looking at the state of the front of the car, and also anyone can have a heart attack, at any time, chances are the poor chap was dead before the car even hit the building. Having seen the speed of a heart attack and it's effects at first hand, I really think that's the most probable explanation, he could have been 25 or 105, makes no odds.
Old 10-02-2010, 20:58   #54
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
nobody mentioned discounted rates but whilst on that subject, saga do so because the main stream insurance companies class older drivers as a high risk, meaning higher premiums... ... does that not tell its own story or you gonna carry on giving the drivel !!!!...
In Barries post he mentioned the insurance rates...which you pointedly ignored by saying there were insurers dedicated to young drivers and women........my point was that Saga discount their rates for older drivers. In fact I don't think they insure drivers under the age of fifty...that must tell you something......and I would be very grateful if you would accord me the courtesy of not insulting my posts.
I did not insult you for your opinion. If you do not like my opinion, then don't respond to my post.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 20:59   #55
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Lot of ill-judged replies here in my humble opinion, the poor bloke concerned is barely cold.
Let's just consider how many years driving experience this chap has probably had, the fact that railings wouldn't have made a great deal of difference looking at the state of the front of the car, and also anyone can have a heart attack, at any time, chances are the poor chap was dead before the car even hit the building. Having seen the speed of a heart attack and it's effects at first hand, I really think that's the most probable explanation, he could have been 25 or 105, makes no odds.

Good post Lindsay.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:00   #56
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I know what you are saying Lindsay but I was replying in a more general sense than yesterdays accident.

We dont yet know the cause of yesterdays accident so your right it is not fair to comment yet.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:05   #57
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So what do we do? Nothing?

I agree that almost all accidents are preventable.
what we do Neil is police ourselves....realise when we can no longer cut the mustard, whether it be due to eyesight, hearing or loss of confidence.....and also if we have elderly relatives who we consider to be a risk to themselves then we have to make them aware of their failings.(gently)

But I feel it would be a mistake to judge all older drivers by the few, and penalise the safe drivers just on age alone.

And as for accidents......these are occurences when circumstances arise that could not be prevented or foreseen......and as such are difficult to prevent.
Life is rarely black and white.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:11   #58
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
what we do Neil is police ourselves....realise when we can no longer cut the mustard, whether it be due to eyesight, hearing or loss of confidence
Unfortunately that does not work. That why we need laws and rules to follow.

Many people dont realise they have slowed down, or more likely refuse to admit it to themselves.

I hope I stop myself driving before I become unsafe. I am that subborn though I will probably be one of the ones who wont.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:17   #59
Beacon of light

well then Neil......I will poke you on the shoulder from which ever cloud I happen to be on at the time(I fear I will have shuffled off this mortal coil by the time you need to give up driving).
Old 10-02-2010, 21:19   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
well then Neil......I will poke you on the shoulder from which ever cloud I happen to be on at the time(I fear I will have shuffled off this mortal coil by the time you need to give up driving).

You can give that idea miss, I am a non believer and the last thing I need is a ghost poking me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..