Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 18:40   #106
God Member

Re: To old to drive?

everyone developes bad driving habbits but a lot of people are just plain ignorant as in failure to indicate, drive around with fog lights on etc and then theres those morons who are in such a rush they jump red ligthts way after they have changed, drive up your arse trying to make you go faster and speed up towards mini roundabouts so as to get there first instead of approaching carefully and they know damn well that unless they crash the police wont show the slightest bit of interest because unless thres a camera to do their work for them traffic laws are rarely enforced but then again a few more traffic cops wouldnt hurt either.Oh and lets not forget the cretins who fail to keep their cars roadworthy and cant even be bothered to change a lightbulb in their headlights.

its time that instead of simply sticking lumps or tarmac in the road and speed cameras for the police to start concentrating on the idiots who are doing a lot worse than going 5mph over the limit

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2010, 18:42   #107
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
do you keep your hands at the correct position, do you not cross your hands over when turning a corner
I don't agree that there is a right position for your hands. I think you should hold the wheel in a position that is comfortable for you that still allows you to drive safely.

On the motorway I usually have one hand at 3 o'clock on the steering wheel. I have avoided many near misses form cars pulling into my path ect and always feel fully in control of the car.

And yes I do use my mirrors all the time. I like to know who is where around me.
Old 12-02-2010, 19:05   #108
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't agree that there is a right position for your hands. I think you should hold the wheel in a position that is comfortable for you that still allows you to drive safely.

On the motorway I usually have one hand at 3 o'clock on the steering wheel. I have avoided many near misses form cars pulling into my path ect and always feel fully in control of the car.

And yes I do use my mirrors all the time. I like to know who is where around me.
I was taught that the mirror should be looked upon as 'your third eye' when driving. My advanced instructors would unexpectedly cover the interior mirror with a sheet of paper, and woe betide you if you couldn't tell them what was behind you. Similarly they would require to know what was the last traffic sign that you saw. How many of todays young drivers could comply?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 19:19   #109
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

When I am changing lanes on the motorway I know where the cars are around me but always check to make sure someone has not just made a quick move. It is very unusual to find a car in my mirror when I am about to move - if you know what I mean?
Old 14-02-2010, 18:07   #110
Full Member+

Quote:
When I am changing lanes on the motorway I know where the cars are around me but always check to make sure someone has not just made a quick move. It is very unusual to find a car in my mirror when I am about to move - if you know what I mean?
Hence the need for a 'shoulder check' before carrying out any such manouevre - particularly on trunk roads and motorways where the speed limits are higher.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 18:24   #111
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Hence the need for a 'shoulder check' before carrying out any such manouevre - particularly on trunk roads and motorways where the speed limits are higher.
I always do look over my shoulder before lane changing even though I am sure it is clear by using my mirrors.

I drive almost to Liverpool and back 4 days a week for work, I know the risks I take driving and don't want to increase the risks by not driving carefully.
Old 14-02-2010, 18:29   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I don't agree with a shoulder check .. distracts you for a couple of seconds of what is in front of you. Wing mirrors and rear view mirror are adequate, particularly if you look more carefully in driver's side mirror for any blind spots. We will always be guilty of blind spots at some time though. Even me .. tee hee.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 18:34   #113
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't agree with a shoulder check .. distracts you for a couple of seconds of what is in front of you. Wing mirrors and rear view mirror are adequate, particularly if you look more carefully in driver's side mirror for any blind spots. We will always be guilty of blind spots at some time though. Even me .. tee hee.
I have looked in all my mirrors in the past then looked over my shoulder and seen a car sat there at almost the same speed as me. Without looking over my shoulder I would have pulled straight into him at 70mph
Old 14-02-2010, 18:46   #114
God Member

Quote:
I have looked in all my mirrors in the past then looked over my shoulder and seen a car sat there at almost the same speed as me. Without looking over my shoulder I would have pulled straight into him at 70mph

yup they teach you about blind spots for a reason and thats the main one , the motorway is full of idiots who just pull across lanes without checking or even indicating and then they wonder whos to blame when their car is been towed away bythe wreckage collectors and they wake up in hospital

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 14-02-2010, 19:01   #115
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

We have to make allowances for Kate, she is old and female
Old 14-02-2010, 20:39   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We have to make allowances for Kate, she is old and female
Cheeky Sprogg. More driving experience under my belt than you'll ever have ...

As long as we all take care, and be aware that any new manoeuvre is potentially dangerous and do our best to avoid collisions by observing, indicating and anticipating others, then that is what is important.
Old 14-02-2010, 20:47   #117
God Member

sory kate im not saying your a rubbish driver but by not checking over your shoulder especially on a motorway the monouver is extreemly dangerous before you have even made it because like neil said your mirrors may look clear but there can be a car just to the side of you that they dont pick up and thats why the look over the shoulder is important infact failing to do so on a driving test when pulling out is an instant fail

unless you have an extra blind spot mirror that is which sticks to your standard mirror

Old 14-02-2010, 21:15   #118
Resting in Peace

Whatever Accyman ... realise can't argue with a fella. There is not one driver .. no matter how careful they are, have not had a last minute readjustment just after spotting a car on your right whilst wanting to move into the next lane. Happens to all of us now and then. If your mirrors are set correctly and you look twice, shouldn't be a problem ... find looking over my shoulder is more distracting for anything that may happen in front of you.

Just because they may recommend it in a driving test, does not mean it is the safest way, particularly on a motorway where speeds are high and you can travel a huge distance whilst looking over your shoulder and not aware of what is going on in front of you. I would always do it from a standing start ... other hazards involved here.

Ah well, never hit owt yet.
Old 14-02-2010, 21:40   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Ah well, never hit owt yet.
probably because so far everyone has managed to dodge out of your way

Old 14-02-2010, 21:49   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
probably because so far everyone has managed to dodge out of your way
Hmmmph. Just something I am not comfortable with Accyman that's all .. you do whatever you think is the safest. You are in danger of moving the wheel down or changing your body position or cricking your neck whilst doing this . I find it uncomfortable.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..