Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 22:52   #211
God Member

Re: Tory Tory Tory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Think there was a fair amount of Rickets in children back in those days, the milk was preventative I think, not sure. Think it was seen as a way of giving the kids calcium, which in turn was seen to be needed more by the under 11’s……may well be wrong

Whatever the cause it was given freely was stopped by Thatcher when she was Education Secretary to Heath
Calcium can be gained through foods.

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/calcium.php

That website actually states how overrated milk is, and also says how drinking hard water has sources of calcium. It also talks about how overrated calcium is in regards to bone health.

Do vegans just drop dead because they don't drink cows milk? Hmmm. Seems the answer is no.

So how useful WAS milk in preventing these problems REALLY? Science seems to suggest it wouldn't have actually been that preventative at all.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2008, 23:09   #212

Blazey, If it seemed I suggested that milk was the cure of such things, then I misled you.

I attempted to suggest that was perhaps one of the initial reasons milk was given in schools as a general way of giving nutrition. Think it was initiated in the early 1900’s for goodness sake.

Taking away the milk probably had no effect whatsoever. Although I guess it was a worry for some parents. Science has moved on somewhat.

Christ, back then there was at least one kid wearing leg calipers in every class, I was always led to believe it was down to Rickets or Polio…just kid rumours I guess, never bothered to find out more.

Last edited by Bonnyboy; 11-06-2008 at 23:10. Reason: missed an "I" out lol
Bonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 23:15   #213
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Blazey, If it seemed suggested that milk was the cure of such things, then I misled you.

I attempted to suggest that was perhaps one of the initial reasons milk was given in schools as a general way of giving nutrition. Think it was initiated in the early 1900’s for goodness sake.

Taking away the milk probably had no effect whatsoever. Although I guess it was a worry for some parents. Science has moved on somewhat.

Christ, back then there was at least one kid wearing leg calipers in every class, I was always led to believe it was down to Rickets or Polio…just kid rumours I guess, never bothered to find out more.
But even so, it wasn't possibly to do with a lack of milk, nor could the amount of milk given in schools even prevent it, so how can there even be an argument about this from either side.

This isn't directed at just you, there are others who are complaining about the milk being taken away and children getting ill and whatever, but it isn't even CAUSED by this issue at all.

In fact I very much doubt a school could provide the recommended intake of calcium for every child via a school meal, so whilst it may have done a slight bit of good, though very unlikely even that looking at our CURRENT scientific evidence, it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference to health at all, and all Thatcher did was cut an unnecessary resource, whether she did so knowingly or not.

Her intentions may have been good or bad, but today we can surely see that it was a wise choice in regards to financial reasons, because it wasn't actually amounting to much more than a break during school to indulge in milk.

I'm a bit more 'efficiency' orientated than Andrewb, so he probably doesn't see it in the same way as I do, he probably has a more ethical way of making it sound, but to be honest, I think politics is very much about money so why ignore it.
Old 11-06-2008, 23:28   #214

Milk ,school meals, I doubt they had much effect in the latter stages of the century as to a child’s general health. When introduced in the 1920’s or whatever, they must have been a bonus.

I posted in this thread, not to talk about the virtues or otherwise of milk, but to correct Andrew, or tell the part of the story Andrew missed out ( post # 198 )

Politics is about money as you say, that’s why Thatcher made the cut. To find funds to fulfil election promises made.
Old 11-06-2008, 23:32   #215
God Member

Well funnily enough this thread isn't even meant to be about politics, it's intended to STOP andrewb and I discussing them.

Seems Thatcher isn't the only one who intends one thing and the outcome is the complete opposite.
Old 11-06-2008, 23:44   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Well funnily enough this thread isn't even meant to be about politics, it's intended to STOP andrewb and I discussing them.

Seems Thatcher isn't the only one who intends one thing and the outcome is the complete opposite.
I know

I shall butt out now
Old 12-06-2008, 07:08   #217
God Member

I think the point is, that Thatcher cut milk at a time when the belief, rightly or wrongly, was that milk was beneficial and provided what was required nutrients, and she did it to save money at the expense (as far as was known at that time) of childrens health. The fact that science has moved on and may since have proved otherwise is irrelevant.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03   #218

The way the mill was stored probably caused more upset tummies than anything else.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:14   #219
God Member

The milk didn't just have health benefits, it gave people a sense of purpose, being milk monitor was a level of achievement never surpassed by passing exams
Old 12-06-2008, 12:12   #220
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I think the point is, that Thatcher cut milk at a time when the belief, rightly or wrongly, was that milk was beneficial and provided what was required nutrients, and she did it to save money at the expense (as far as was known at that time) of childrens health. The fact that science has moved on and may since have proved otherwise is irrelevant.
It is relevant in the fact that it is no longer really a valid example as something bad they did, because today we should be able to look back and see it as something that was done for financial reasons, not because she wanted children to get ill, and today we can see it was actually a good decision!

When I have told you how much our parents paid for milk at primary school it seems the figures have been ignored. Bearing in mind I am one of these poor children who's milk never got returned to me by Labour, it was cheap enough for me to buy...

I am glad I remember my happy start to education with my milk when there WAS a tory prime minister. I liked John Major, he must have been fantastic because they were the best years of my childhood.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:22   #221

I think its fine looking at the past, but would it not be better looking to the future?

Yes, when you look back on things, you can learn from what has happened, but if i look back 20 years, I very much doubt I would have made the same move now as I did back then. If I look back 2 years, I think I can get a clearer picture
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 13:35   #222

Milk is one of the most common food allergies both in adults and children

Just thought I would throw that one in, it has no relevance to the topic.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 13:39   #223
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Milk is one of the most common food allergies both in adults and children

Just thought I would throw that one in, it has no relevance to the topic.
yeah but thats only because jesus dosnt love them

sod it we got polotics on the go why not religion

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 15:22   #224

polo tics?

Are those fleas with holes in them?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 15:28   #225
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm mystified how a discussion of the nutritional properties of milk fits into this thread.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..