Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2011, 11:13   #1
God Member

tough on crime tough on the causes of crime

my the tories are closing 3 prisons and say prisons are out dated and cost too much money BBC News - Prisons shutdown unveiled by government
Old 13-01-2011, 11:22   #2
Beacon of light

re: tough on crime tough on the causes of crime

They cost too much money because they are kitted out like holiday camps!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 13:14   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
re: tough on crime tough on the causes of crime

So the closing down of these 3 Prisons which, apparently are "unfit for purpose" ? Really ? why ? Because of human rights & suchlike ? Brought in & enforced by who exactly ? Means 850 places have to be found in other Prisons throughout UK.

Shouldn't be to difficult really, the present Prison population is about 85,000 according to various sources, UK Prisons can hold approximately 87,000 so loads of room. Mind you if we didn't have so many foreign prisoners languishing & lapping it up in our Prisons (Oh about 11,500 if we could get shut then the Prison population of around 73,500 would be easily accommodated ! Not Rocket Science).

However due to certain people & their policies guess what ? We're stuck with them ! Now consider this, the average cost for a years bed & board for these creatures (irrespective of home grown or foreign) is about GBP 41,000 ! GBP 41,000 ! Multiply that by 11500 ! I did but can't get my head round such astronomical numbers ! Such a vast amount of wasted resources that could be better spent elsewhere & the Country certainly needs it there's no denying. So lets just back track a bit to find out the real culprits are here, who let them in ? Who jailed them ? Who signed up to an act that prevented us repatriating them ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 15:22   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: tough on crime tough on the causes of crime

I am confused, ir happens a lot these days, how would you deal with people from other countries who break the law here?
Old 13-01-2011, 15:51   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am confused, ir happens a lot these days, how would you deal with people from other countries who break the law here?
Do what the yanks do: fry 'em.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 16:30   #6
God Member

Prior to transportation of the criminal classes to Australia in the latter part of the 18th century, the policy was to ship the convicts to North America, primarily the 13 colonies but to a lesser extent, Canada. Maybe we should now revise this method; I'm quite sure that given the extent of the Canadian landmass, ten thousand foreign criminals deposited on Her Majestie's Canuk shores would soon be lost in it's great wilderness.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 17:49   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
my the tories are closing 3 prisons and say prisons are out dated and cost too much money BBC News - Prisons shutdown unveiled by government
Remember money is a little scarce at the moment, according to the Labour chief secretary to the treasury Liam Byrne, he left a note on his desk say sorry there's no money we've spent it all
Old 13-01-2011, 17:59   #8
JCB

There are too many in prison when another sentence would be more appropriate .

David Chayter the ex-MP was jailed for fraud .
He had paid all the money back .
He showed remorse .
He was not a threat to the public .

Surely those in authority could have come up with something better than a term of imprisonment .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 18:19   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
There are too many in prison when another sentence would be more appropriate .

David Chayter the ex-MP was jailed for fraud .
He had paid all the money back .
He showed remorse .
He was not a threat to the public .

Surely those in authority could have come up with something better than a term of imprisonment .
Shot him as an example
Old 13-01-2011, 18:25   #10
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Shot him as an example
cruel .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 18:32   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
cruel .
Too right
Old 13-01-2011, 19:20   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Prior to transportation of the criminal classes to Australia in the latter part of the 18th century, the policy was to ship the convicts to North America, primarily the 13 colonies but to a lesser extent, Canada. Maybe we should now revise this method; I'm quite sure that given the extent of the Canadian landmass, ten thousand foreign criminals deposited on Her Majestie's Canuk shores would soon be lost in it's great wilderness.
First you will have to instruct them so that they will be able to speak at least one of our official languages .... And you had better hurry ... once the present monarch dies, I have a strong feeling that we will no longer be a Constitutional Monarchy. Dumping them in the Great Barren Lands would be a death sentence; and that would appeal to many on here.

Oh, and it is "Canuck".
Old 13-01-2011, 19:23   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Do what the yanks do: fry 'em.
I agree, if the crime is that bad then thats what should happen...
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 20:08   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
First you will have to instruct them so that they will be able to speak at least one of our official languages .... And you had better hurry ... once the present monarch dies, I have a strong feeling that we will no longer be a Constitutional Monarchy. ".
Yeah, I think you're right Eric. But I just hope you're fully prepared. I assume you already know the words of 'The Star Spangled Banner' (after all, the tune is a British drinking song and the words are a tribute to British technology). But how will you cope with their lousy health care system? And are you really ready to swear allegiance to a constitution that is no more than a piece of paper?

Still I suppose President Sarah Palin is somewhat better looking than your current Queen. I wonder about your new flag though...with 10 provinces and three territories, will it be 60 stars on the flag (6 X 10) or 63 (7 X 9). I suppose the latter is has more appeal..which do you prefer?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 20:59   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Yeah, I think you're right Eric. But I just hope you're fully prepared. I assume you already know the words of 'The Star Spangled Banner' (after all, the tune is a British drinking song and the words are a tribute to British technology). But how will you cope with their lousy health care system? And are you really ready to swear allegiance to a constitution that is no more than a piece of paper?

Still I suppose President Sarah Palin is somewhat better looking than yourcurrent Queen. I wonder about your new flag though...with 10 provinces and three territories, will it be 60 stars on the flag (6 X 10) or 63 (7 X 9). I suppose the latter is has more appeal..which do you prefer?

The way the US is heading, we might consider them as an eleventh Province ... as long as they get their economic house in order ... We are wondering how long it will be before they have to adopt the loonie as their official currency.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..