Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2013, 10:20   #406
Beacon of light

Re: Town Centre Changes

it could be a bus station....move all the remaining shops that are still trading in there into the Market hall...or onto Broadway....knock the thing down and Hey presto, you have space for a bus station that is slap bang in the centre of town...which benefits whatever shops are still left and trading.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2013, 11:17   #407
God Member

Why are you all complaining about the bus station, the council did say they would confer with the people. On that basis they musthave asked you all and you said yes
Old 19-01-2013, 11:54   #408
Beacon of light

Never asked me Dave.....and I don't know anyone who was asked.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 12:41   #409
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It probably can't be knocked down, it's been up for more than ten minutes probably a useless but listed building like churchills.
maxthecollie likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:22   #410
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It probably can't be knocked down, it's been up for more than ten minutes probably a useless but listed building like churchills.
You might have a point Less, the frontage of the old Rhyddings mill in Ossy is a listed building, it should have been knocked down years ago after it was ravaged by fire, but no it has to be maintained for posterity. Same with the old central school, Rhyddings school annex, that can't be knocked down either because that's a listed building, me thinks that the authorities who insist on these buildings being retained, should have to pay for the privilege
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:40   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
me thinks that the authorities who insist on these buildings being retained, should have to pay for the privilege
Absolutely, before a building is listed some form of trust should be in place to maintain it, if you can't get the trust its not worthy.
I live in a block of terrace houses, what if some arty farty party person decided they should be listed? Anyone owning one would never be able to sell because the buyer would have the expense of maintaining it as it is, no chance of improving.

Last edited by Less; 19-01-2013 at 14:42.
Old 19-01-2013, 20:20   #412
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Never asked me Dave.....and I don't know anyone who was asked.
Strange that.... neither do I
Old 19-01-2013, 20:40   #413
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Perhaps one of our councillors could actually tell us who was asked? cos i sure don't know anyone either.
Old 19-01-2013, 20:42   #414
Senior Member+

Town Centre Changes

They could have built the bus station here!!!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:13   #415
God Member

In case anybody hasn't seen the Observer this week, there's an artists impression of the new bus station. Looks like a few stables bolted on to each other. Ironic really that there has always been rumours the bus station is being sited there to suit Tesco's. Accrington will have the freshest horse burgers in the country

Here's the link

http://menmedia.co.uk/accringtonobse...-2015#comments

Last edited by lancsdave; 19-01-2013 at 21:15.
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:56   #416
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Absolutely, before a building is listed some form of trust should be in place to maintain it, if you can't get the trust its not worthy.
I live in a block of terrace houses, what if some arty farty party person decided they should be listed? Anyone owning one would never be able to sell because the buyer would have the expense of maintaining it as it is, no chance of improving.
Totally agree Less, its fine trying to protect our heritage, but if things need to kept for posterity then finances should be in place for the upkeep, why should it fall on the people who own these properties. I know the guy who owns Rhyddings mill was after knocking the old fascia of the fire damaged building down years ago because it was very unsafe but they wouldn't let him, its a nonsense
Old 21-01-2013, 00:17   #417
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
They could have built the bus station here!!!
Good pic of the fancy bogs, where late wife had her handbag nicked.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:16   #418
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I agree I think the town was busier then. You couldn't find a place to park if you went down town in the afternoon.
There was no internet shopping then and only a very few supermarkets. Peoples shopping habits have changed massively since the days of the old car park but some still think Accrington Centre should still be the same.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:53   #419
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There was no internet shopping then and only a very few supermarkets. Peoples shopping habits have changed massively since the days of the old car park but some still think Accrington Centre should still be the same.
Ya Neil time marches on there's no turning the clock back
Old 21-01-2013, 09:31   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There were kwik save and ASDA a market inside and outside, full of produce not flea markets, all shops occupied doing well and Lulu was advertising Littlewoods catalogue.

No, things shouldn't be the same they are much better now downtown.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..