Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2013, 16:55   #796
I am Banned

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I said "Why not hold a poll to determine whether or not the members would like to see the back of him"

That sentence does not ask if members would like to see him banned, only to express an opinion, which quite a few posters have already done.
I'm going to have to get the horse out of the stables Barrie... anybody who can be arsed has already said their bit on this.
You need to move on.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2013, 17:02   #797
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I said "Why not hold a poll to determine whether or not the members would like to see the back of him"

That sentence does not ask if members would like to see him banned, only to express an opinion, which quite a few posters have already done.
We are all members, why should we hold a popularity poll about one individual?
What happens when you or I become the centre of attention?
Will that be fair?
The guy gives the impression of walking on water, a poll would be sinking below his level.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 08:30   #798

DP hit the nail on the head, an excellent summary.

While there are many issues here, quite clearly I look at the world from a different perspective to most on here. When in the UK (not much the last 11 years) I vote Tory. That automatically puts me in a 5% minority on this site, and will of course lead to spirited debate about mining, car production, economics, selling the countries gold at the historic low of the price of the metal - you name it we'll argue about it. As everyone knows, I'm not shy of expressing an opinion, and given the political divide I'm always going to be the miniority here. That won't change my view or my politics.

There are those on this board who are just abusive. Cashman, Less and others who in normal circumstances abuse people they don't like off the board. There are many examples of this - witness the attack on Sugarmouse who rarely posts. I on the other hand don't mind their abuse - happy to engage it back, although you won't find me using the same language. I don't think they have anything at all positive to contribute to the town unless someone has found a use for the conversion of oxygen to carbon dioxide.

There are those that dig around my personal profile to try to "out" something about me. I think that's a bit sad also because one should be able to engage a debate without digging into people's personal lives which is not something I've done to anyone here. In return I say Marge which it turns out creates great insult to everyone. That did surprise me - no one minds Grum, Troll or any of the multitude of things I've been called here, including me.

Then there's the folk that need constant proof, such as Barrie. He's taken the attempts to discredit me to a higher level than just rummaging around the internet for details to actually pounding the streets for proof ! Unfortunately he missed the obvious renovation work going on in Warner St and elsewhere so concluded that I must be fake. Having been proven wrong time and again (hopefully he spent $3 at the land registry to see who owns 26, 28 Warner and 28 St James) and the matter could have been put to rest but no.... Today apparently I'm not in Singapore, because of the times I post....? Really Barrie - speak to Margaret - she enjoys online sleuthing and is better at it than you. I'm not hiding or making up anything I say so once again you'll be calling heads to the fall of a double tail coin.

Interestingly, and this should come as no surprise to anyone, there are many people who've been attacked by the merry community here. There's a whole range of people who complain about it in the banned section. I've neither the time nor interest to look at the backgrounds of that - there are too many posts, but I'm not the first nor last to be castigated for not agreeing with founder members. Thats why I raise the profile of the community. I don't think I'm far wrong in saying that most of not all members are over 60, retired, white, and opinionated. That's not what I see walking the streets of Accy. There are some of course but I also see a lot of young folk, and different races/religions all of whom seem to be absent from here. Gotta wonder what welcome they'd receive...

DP made a fair point that I've likely changed my mind about the usefulness of the forum for my needs. It is true that I don't need for the forum to make an assessment of buildings. However I've lived in Singapore for the last 3 years, so it isn't practical to look at places in person. My post about the large empty Oswaldwhistle building generated many useful comments. I can't see that there's next door fire damage, nor does it show on Google Streetview, so in that respect the forum does serve a purpose for me.

If I have any regret, it would simply be one, and that is that Jay seems to have been suckered into your group. That's a genuine pity as he seemed a man of his own mind, and a sane Tory one at that.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 08:44   #799
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
We are all members, why should we hold a popularity poll about one individual?
What happens when you or I become the centre of attention?
Will that be fair?
I agree with that totally Less

People are not banned because other members ask for it.We do get reports saying "This member is an idiot and should be banned". We look at why they have been reported and sometimes act and sometimes do nothing. Sometimes reports about a members posts do end up in them being banned and sometimes members are banned because we see them doing things they shouldn't.
Old 18-07-2013, 08:53   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post

If I have any regret, it would simply be one, and that is that Jay seems to have been suckered into your group. That's a genuine pity as he seemed a man of his own mind, and a sane Tory one at that.
Still can't quite get the hang of 'positive posting' can you?

That post was yet another pot calling a kettle rant.

As for Jaysay, do keep up, by his own admission he isn't a Tory, he's a fully paid up Ukip member.

Just another of the facts you tend to ignore to make something suit your purpose.
MargaretR and susie123 like this.
Old 18-07-2013, 09:11   #801
Resting In Peace

Quote:

There are those on this board who are just abusive. Cashman, Less and others who in normal circumstances abuse people they don't like off the board. There are many examples of this - witness the attack on Sugarmouse who rarely posts. I on the other hand don't mind their abuse - happy to engage it back, although you won't find me using the same language. I don't think they have anything at all positive to contribute to the town unless someone has found a use for the conversion of oxygen to carbon dioxide.
Oh dear we really have got under your skin if you go to the lengths you have just done in your last post to analyse this.

OK, Cashman, Less et al may be abusive to some but it's their opinion, and they express it in that way, which may result in folks leaving the forum, that's why the white over 60s predominate, in your view, though there are plenty of others around who you may not have noticed. Also, the white over 60s have the time on their hands to comment and have lived in the town long enough to have a good idea of what's going on there. I think that may be called a positive contribution.

I don't understand what you mean about attacking Sugarmouse - she rarely posts now because her circumstances have changed since she first joined but I don't recall her being subject to attack - anyway she is still around, witness her blog the other day.

Anyway we're still here and you're still there, think what you like about us. It makes for interesting reading.
Old 18-07-2013, 10:02   #802
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Add liar to his list of attributes, I as far as i am aware have never attacked sugermouse, in fact she thanked me fer advice the other day, Yeh may call me abusive Easton, but its my opinion of you simple as, I have said before though we have never met, i hold an intense dislike fer yeh, Which is summat i rarely do, but a prick is a prick.
Old 18-07-2013, 10:26   #803
Beacon of light

and Mr Easton, you still haven't mentioned why you still call me 'Marge'....MargaretR and I are different people...but then you like to generalise about what you think we are.
Some of us have no political affiliations....and Sue is right......we the white over 60's have given our lives to the town, have known it in it's heyday......have time to respond on the forum...families grown up left home.

Sue is also right when she observes, that somehow, we must have got under your skin for you to post that long justification(at least that is what it seems like to me) in post 798.
And I do not think it is Margaret who is 'sad'...I think that honour must go to you, for your need to constantly tell us of the good you are doing for our poor little town...should I tug my forelock now sir?

People come and go on this forum. For some, they come, because like you they have an agenda which needs to be fulfilled...once that is done we hear no more from them...we the forum members do not drive people away....these are adults who have a choice in life. They can go or they can stay.
This is a good forum, by far the best of any of the local ones anyway.

You have a choice too.......you can stay, or you can find somewhere that you find more diverse in membership, more palatable to your obviously cosmopolitan tastes.(not the all white, over 60's that you seem to abhor so much)Personally I couldn't give a fig what you do...the forum certainly isn't enriched by your opinion of us, or your posts either for that matter.
cashman, MargaretR and susie123 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 11:07   #804
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I don't understand what you mean about attacking Sugarmouse - she rarely posts now because her circumstances have changed since she first joined but I don't recall her being subject to attack - anyway she is still around, witness her blog the other day.
I think the reference is to a conversation in the Bedroom Tax thread
Old 18-07-2013, 11:56   #805
Senior Member+

I think it started in the Boston bombing thread.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ing-64052.html
but something and nothing really, she seemed more bothered about Less`s (is that right?) incorrect use of an apostrophe than anything else. Just coincidence she hasn`t been on here much since.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:05   #806
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I think it started in the Boston bombing thread.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ing-64052.html
but something and nothing really, she seemed more bothered about Less`s (is that right?) incorrect use of an apostrophe than anything else. Just coincidence she hasn`t been on here much since.
Suger actually said the other day she hadn't been on fer ages, gave reasons, an said she had missed it, The liar from Singapore ignored that n made his own version up, which seems to happen a lot, Trolls do that.
Old 18-07-2013, 12:09   #807

Town Centre Changes

I don't care, he's only using it as another example to moan, wherever it is.
Old 18-07-2013, 12:17   #808
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Suger actually said the other day she hadn't been on fer ages, gave reasons, an said she had missed it, The liar from Singapore ignored that n made his own version up, which seems to happen a lot, Trolls do that.
I didn`t think for a minute it was anything to do with a minor spat she had weeks ago. I have just read her blog after it was mentioned on here, and she obviously has more important things going on in her life at the moment. Perhaps Mr E (some of his posts are a bit puzzling) should do a little deeper digging before posting.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:19   #809
Beacon of light

Her circumstances have changed, life, real life(not this virtual stuff) has a habit of sometimes getting in the way.
I haven't been on here much of late...for similar reasons. I am spending a lot of time looking after my daughter and her family. It is called 'getting your priorities right'.
It pleases Mr Easton's ends, to make out that members are leaving in droves....because of how people are treated....and it is nothing of the sort.
gpick24 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:25   #810
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

Do yeh not regret the fact,that fer such a high flyer yeh have demonstrated once again sheer stupidity? Many people on here know jaysay, in fact Tory or not he happens to be a good friend of mine, And everyone who knows him,knows damn well, he is a man of his own mind n no way will be influenced by anyone, This i think proves beyond any doubt what a total prick yeh are. Also he in his time has worked harder n contributed more to this town than a knob like you will ever do. n he don't brag about it either.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..