Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 15:52   #16
God Member

Re: Traffic Accident

The little lad is reported to have hit the side of a van
So it looks like he walked or ran into it.
Vans don't 'sidle up' to pedestrians

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2009, 16:14   #17

Re: Child knocked down in Ossy

[quote=Lilly;678859]There may have been an adult with him. Where does it say that he was on his own?

I do not know if there was an adult with him or not, which is why I said that I do not have all the facts being here in Canada. I do feel terrible for both the child and the family as this is an accident which is clearly going to impact this family for a long time. Hopefully it will serve as a reminder to many parents how precious our children really are.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 16:15   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Child knocked down in Ossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Maybe there were more children coming to school along Union Rd years ago.

Not many do now.
the fact children still do or have too warrants a lollipop lady on a very busy main road in my book, or does the fact not many do now make it not worth it?
Old 12-02-2009, 17:00   #19
Senior Member+

Dont know about 5 year olds not having any road sense...the older ones who go to Rhyddings have precious little of it, Union Roads a nightmare when they get let out! Hope this kids going to be alright!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 17:47   #20
Give, give, give member

I cross there to go to the doctors, and you certainly need all your wits about you.

If there isn't enough children crossing Union Road to warrant a Lollipop lady/man, then the school should drum into their children they should walk up to the clinic, to use the Pelican Crossing there.

I hope the little lad pulls through.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 17:56   #21
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Arnt they supposed to to be putting a crossing nr ossy mils for the staff?
I think the school needs one more than them.I cross that island nearly everyday to take my kid to school and the speed half of em do is no help. You would think they would slow down especially when you see someone stood in the middle, but NOOOOOO!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 20:37   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the fact children still do or have too warrants a lollipop lady on a very busy main road in my book, or does the fact not many do now make it not worth it?
As I understand it there needs to be a certain amount of 'customers' to warrant a lollipop lady. You need to have your wits about you near a school, especially one on a main road but LCC won't employ lollipop ladies for less than a certain number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I cross there to go to the doctors, and you certainly need all your wits about you.

If there isn't enough children crossing Union Road to warrant a Lollipop lady/man, then the school should drum into their children they should walk up to the clinic, to use the Pelican Crossing there.

The school discourage parents and children from crossing directly outside school. Letters have been sent out on several occasions. You're right. They should use the crossing near the clinic.

I hope the little lad makes a recovery too.
Old 12-02-2009, 21:51   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
As I understand it there needs to be a certain amount of 'customers' to warrant a lollipop lady. You need to have your wits about you near a school, especially one on a main road but LCC won't employ lollipop ladies for less than a certain number.

The school discourage parents and children from crossing directly outside school. Letters have been sent out on several occasions. You're right. They should use the crossing near the clinic.

I hope the little lad makes a recovery too.
the fact LCC won't employ one fer less than a certain number,don't make it right Lilly.
Old 12-02-2009, 21:59   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

"Pelican Crossing" I remember the Belisha Beacons, but Pelican's????
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 22:07   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's a crossing where the pedestrian presses a button, which halts the traffic by the lights turnind red. A green man flashes to alert the person wanting to cross the road that it's now safe.

I think it's called Pelican, unless they've renamed them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 22:09   #26
Caz
God Member

I believe that lollipop people can now take parents back accross the road? is this correct? Once of a day, they would take you accross with the little ones, but they wouldn't stop the traffic when going back without.

Only ask because i had an accident with a car about 10 years ago, and couldn't cross any major road for a long while due to trauma. Hence I had to let the kids go accross the road at Hare and Hounds on their own and make their own way up to school, because I wasn't allowed assistance back.

Seems the young lad was with his sister, presumably one from the same school?

Geez I lived accross from St Nicks when youngest 2 were there, lollipop lady and all, I still watched them till they got accross safely.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 22:09   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Short for Pedestrian Light control.

There is also a Puffin Crossing short for - Pedestrian User Friendly Intelligent.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 23:03   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Short for Pedestrian Light control.

There is also a Puffin Crossing short for - Pedestrian User Friendly Intelligent.
theres also many crossings in spain that motorists completely ignore.
Old 12-02-2009, 23:26   #29
God Member

on the matter of road safety if the tufty club hadnt have been gotten rid of by the PC brigade scum and such like then maybe kids woud be better educated regarding traffic

traffic increased and the way it was dealt with was to teach children less about road safety

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 23:31   #30
God Member

I question the safety of a mid road island at that crossing point.
The road is narrow. The island makes the traffic lanes even narrower.
The poor mite would only need to be stood there, stick his neck out to look around his sister, and be inches from the passing vehicles.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..