Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 09:35   #1

Traffic Accident

A five-year old boy was badly hurt on the crossing by St. Paul's school in Union Road yesterday afternoon. Do hope he's going to be alright. The ambulance arrived within minutes. Perhaps we need a school-crossing patrol there; it is a very busy stretch of road.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Traffic Accident

There always used to be a Lolly Pop controlled crossing at the bottom of Haworth Street, is it not there anymore
Old 12-02-2009, 11:48   #3

Not sure about Haworth Street, Jaysay, but think school-crossing patrol should be at St. Paul's junior school. Granada news van has just pulled onto the car park - looks like they're covering the incident.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:47   #4

Child knocked down in Ossy

I just read this in the telegraph, I feel so bad for the child.
My comment though is why on earth would a 5yr old be crossing Union Rd without an adult. I will say I live in Canada now and admit I may not have all the facts. What I do know though is I grew up in Ossy and 30yrs ago Union Rd was bad to cross then so I have no doubt it is far busier now.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:51   #5
God Member

Re: Child knocked down in Ossy

My biggest fear is being knocked over.

I was once on Union Road near the cash machine that was once outside the PO (now its Bargains 4 U) and some women were coming out of the tanning shop chatting with a little boy who must have been no older than two, not holding his hand and he ran right out into the road in front of a van but luckily they pulled him out of the road before it hit him.

My mum and I both froze scared stiff. I felt sick just at the thought of what could have happened.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:58   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hope the kids ok? can't get me head round how children that age are allowed on main roads alone.
Old 12-02-2009, 14:07   #7
Resting in Peace

Here is a link to the story in the Telegraph

Oswaldtwistle boy, 5, in fight for life after crash (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 14:11   #8
Resting in Peace

There is another thread on this incident started earlier 'Traffic Accident' .. perhaps you could link them up Mick ?

Poor little mite doesn't sound too good ... can only keep fingers crossed.

Personally, I think 5 year olds are just as capable of crossing a main road as some older children; one of which strolled in front of my car as I came down Union Road on Tuesday.

Shame to debate this at the moment though ... sure the parents are in a bad enough way as it is.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 14:13   #9
Senior Member+

Hope the little ones ok and makes a speedy recovery
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 14:13   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ta mick,it raises the question,Why is there no lollipop lady? always was there when i lived up that way.
Old 12-02-2009, 14:20   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
There is another thread on this incident started earlier 'Traffic Accident' .. perhaps you could link them up Mick ?
ok i have merged both threads
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 15:13   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magily View Post
My comment though is why on earth would a 5yr old be crossing Union Rd without an adult..
There may have been an adult with him. Where does it say that he was on his own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ta mick,it raises the question,Why is there no lollipop lady? always was there when i lived up that way.
I live very near to the school and know people who go there.

Apparently the school have looked into the idea of zebra crossings or a lollipop lady but when they looked into it they found that not enough children come to school that way to warrant it.

Most children come along Moscow Mill Street from Springhill way.
Old 12-02-2009, 15:17   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
There may have been an adult with him. Where does it say that he was on his own?

I live very near to the school and know people who go there.

Apparently the school have looked into the idea of zebra crossings or a lollipop lady but when they looked into it they found that not enough children come to school that way to warrant it.

Most children come along Moscow Mill Street from Springhill way.
in that case why was there always one stationed there years ago wi less traffic? utter crap, maybe most use the other route, but still children use union rd through necesssity.
Old 12-02-2009, 15:25   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
in that case why was there always one stationed there years ago wi less traffic? utter crap, maybe most use the other route, but still children use union rd through necesssity.
Maybe there were more children coming to school along Union Rd years ago.

Not many do now.
Old 12-02-2009, 15:46   #15
Resting in Peace

The Observer report shows it as still trying to contact the driver of the van, whereas, the Telegraph report that the driver is in shock, and not been arrested. Just in case, people get the impression is hit and run. The Observer closing time is usually Wedns. at around 6.p.m. so this may account for it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..