Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2014, 02:20   #46

Re: Ukraine

Denmark, the Netherlands and the UK scrambled their fighter planes this week as Russian aircraft ventured further than usual into EU territory when they flew up to the Scottish coastline. Putin is definitely enjoying this game of cat and mouse. Would he have dared do that if Fylingdales was still operational?
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2014, 07:06   #47
JFT96

I think you're getting a bit mixed up there.
Flyfendales is part of the Balistic Missle Early Warning System, it's primary role is to detect incoming nuclear missiles and give a warning, so we can go kiss our a... goodbye.

Apparently the Russians were flying Tupolev 95s's (NATO code name Bear), a old propeller aircraft from the 1950's, not much of a match for our Typhoon's

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 08:42   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Apparently the Russians were flying Tupolev 95s's (NATO code name Bear), a old propeller aircraft from the 1950's, not much of a match for our Typhoon's
Not even a match for the Dutch F-16's they scrambled either BG.

U.K. Ministry of Defense in a statement. “The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace at all times as they are perfectly entitled to do so. Russian military flights have never entered UK sovereign airspace without authorization.”

Read more at Russian Bombers Buzz British, Dutch Airspace, Fighters Scramble To Chase Them Off

A quiet newsday I reckon.
Boeing Guy likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:00   #49
Senior Member+

150 US troops in Poland up against the Russian border right now undertaking 'military exercises' with the Polish army. 450 further US troops arriving.
Black Horizon: Tensions rise in Ukraine as US soldiers arrive in Poland

(I think) We're (for a choice of better words) goosed if America provokes a war with Russia. We depend on Russia and we should be doing more to create peace between us and Russia, not following the Yanks and trying to start a ruddy war.
I can foresee a reality check coming soon as gas prices go up even higher and more of our vulnerable pensioners die.
Ukraine isn't even in the ruddy EU. It's nothing to do with us and EVEN LESS to do with the Yanks. It's ex-Soviet territory so let them sort it out between themselves .

Alan Varrechia likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:10   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

A war between America n Russia??? perhaps its you needs a reality Check?
Old 24-04-2014, 09:35   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
A war between America n Russia??? perhaps its you needs a reality Check?
'Perhaps' your right C
cashman likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 14:33   #52

The main thing about Scotland is that it's where our North Sea wealth is, plus where we keep and maintain our nuclear submarines. Presumably Putin was having fun testing our reactions. One day somebody in the defence team is going to say "oh it's only the Ruskies having us on again" and will delay reaction times.

Putin has always let it be known that he wanted to resurrect the Soviet Union. The writing was on the wall for Ukraine when a majority of more than half of Ukrainians wanted their country to accede to the European Union, while only one third favoured joining a Moscow-led alliance
Old 24-04-2014, 14:47   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
a majority of more than half of Ukrainians wanted their country to accede to the European Union, while only one third favoured joining a Moscow-led alliance
Who convinced you of that ?

Have you confirmed it is true ?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 15:07   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Who convinced you of that ?

Have you confirmed it is true ?
No I haven't visited the Ukraine to confirm the story. I believed the UK TV newsreels at the time. If I remember correctly, it was just after the vote that their President sherried off to Russia
Old 24-04-2014, 15:14   #55
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Why don't we (NATO), America and Russia just get together and bomb the shist out of China?
We don't really need them to produce tat, we have proved over the years we can all produce our own, destroy them and start building our own sock manufacturing towns, then at last we can live in harmonious self inflicted debt.
Boeing Guy and Eric like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 20:48   #56
God Member

Quote:
No I haven't visited the Ukraine to confirm the story. I believed the UK TV newsreels at the time. If I remember correctly, it was just after the vote that their President sherried off to Russia
I suggest you read this thread
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ies-48617.html

It may make you a little more sceptical
Eric likes this.

Old 25-04-2014, 19:16   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I think you're getting a bit mixed up there.
Flyfendales is part of the Balistic Missle Early Warning System, it's primary role is to detect incoming nuclear missiles and give a warning, so we can go kiss our a... goodbye.

lol I've just seen images of the "bears" - I've never seen so many props stuck onto a dart before :-)
Old 25-04-2014, 19:24   #58

Quote:
I suggest you read this thread
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ies-48617.html

It may make you a little more sceptical
Thanks for the link to the debate about CNN newsreels.

Watching the CNN news isn't something I normally do - maybe I should try it - for a laugh
Old 25-04-2014, 20:55   #59
God Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the debate about CNN newsreels.

Watching the CNN news isn't something I normally do - maybe I should try it - for a laugh
You obviously didn't read much of the thread.
CNN aren't the only ones doing it.
In fact, I think we could be hard pressed to find a news broadcaster who doesn't deceive.!!
cashman likes this.

Old 25-04-2014, 21:53   #60

Quote:
You obviously didn't read much of the thread.
CNN aren't the only ones doing it.
In fact, I think we could be hard pressed to find a news broadcaster who doesn't deceive.!!
You're quite right - I skimmed through the four pages and didn't look at the full wiki article, nor chase other articles on other websites about the subject of false and/or lazy reporting.

My view on Ukraine is that ex KGB Putin wants to reassemble the Soviet Union and he'll probably outmanoeuvre "the West" whilst he's tricked us into looking the other way.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..