Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2008, 21:30   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Unbelievable.

its not really worth complaining about, that statement just about sums up yer mentality, as it was broadcast to god knows how many people from all over the world. for a sports event that young people from all over the world take part in,it will not have been dealt with until whoever is responsible fer including it,is given the boot.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:35   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its not really worth complaining about, that statement just about sums up yer mentality, as it was broadcast to god knows how many people from all over the world. for a sports event that young people from all over the world take part in,it will not have been dealt with until whoever is responsible fer including it,is given the boot.
On the assumption that the person trying to ruin the production is part of the team employed to make it a success?

Yes that seems realistic.

As for the cost of the Olympic games, yes it is expensive, but it wasn't the games that I was proud of. I was proud of all the British achievements rolled into that one production.

Brilliant athletes, brilliant technology, brilliant structures... it incorporated many brilliant things about this country and yes, I am proud of that. The olympics isn't something to be proud of yet as it hasn't happened and even I am not optimistic enough to start celebrating something 4 years away
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 21:47   #18
God Member

If anyone could find the video with Hindley still in it I'd be grateful as well, can't seem to find it in the ones I have watched and I assume it is quite a prominent part of the video if we are talking about it causing a fuss internationally.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:50   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
If anyone could find the video with Hindley still in it I'd be grateful as well, can't seem to find it in the ones I have watched and I assume it is quite a prominent part of the video if we are talking about it causing a fuss internationally.
well your man Boris was quite upset with it,
Old 24-08-2008, 21:52   #20
God Member

Quote:
well your man Boris was quite upset with it,
Upset with it or upset with the publics reaction once someone had pointed it out? I can't find it in any videos, have you seen it yourself or have you just read the news and started a thread about it?
Old 24-08-2008, 22:00   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Upset with it or upset with the publics reaction once someone had pointed it out? I can't find it in any videos, have you seen it yourself or have you just read the news and started a thread about it?
if ya had bothered to take in the first post, you would know the answer.
Old 24-08-2008, 22:04   #22
God Member

First post just says you read about it, it doesnt mention whether you took the time to find a video about it after reading to see if it was really worth all the fuss.

I'm disappointed in you for just admitting that you take the news for its word and don't go any further to check whether it's true or not
Old 24-08-2008, 22:20   #23
Senior Member+

BBC NEWS | UK | 2012 Hindley image use condemned

heres the story, i'm trying to find the video, bear with me......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...012-image.html

this one shows a shot of the video i think..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 22:28   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
BBC NEWS | UK | 2012 Hindley image use condemned

heres the story, i'm trying to find the video, bear with me......

Beijing Olympics: Boris Johnson and Downing St condemn Myra Hindley London 2012 image - Telegraph

this one shows a shot of the video i think..
Thanks emma, that bottom one is all that is really important.

I wonder how many people, say under 40 as someone else said early, would recognise who she was from just a single picture, or have even heard the story.

Obviously a lot of people have heard of her, that isn't going to be denied. But it IS part of this country and especially it's history if we lie that or not. It has changed our perception of the child abuser and murderer forever.

Why should the olympics be all about the nice things of a country. How many people watched the Chinese opening ceremony and thought it was hypocritical? You can't win whatever you do, and because of that I go back to my comments of not even complaining about it.

Let's show britain for what it really is, like China should have done and at least we will have kept our respect and been honest instead of painting knife/gun crime, drugs and teenage pregnancy in every colour of the rainbow apart from the black, bleak reality of what is Britain.
Old 24-08-2008, 22:36   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
First post just says you read about it, it doesnt mention whether you took the time to find a video about it after reading to see if it was really worth all the fuss.

I'm disappointed in you for just admitting that you take the news for its word and don't go any further to check whether it's true or not
i read a spokesman fer Boris, also a spokesman fer Downing Street, both condeming it, so i reckon if they are in agreement then theres truth in it. but obviously you think not.
Old 24-08-2008, 22:39   #26
God Member

Quote:
i read a spokesman fer Boris, also a spokesman fer Downing Street, both condeming it, so i reckon if they are in agreement then theres truth in it. but obviously you think not.
It was a simple mistake because nobody had ever complained before. I think it has all been cleared up now. It wasn't part of the London 2012 promotional video on the web, just an old video used to show what London is like. Anyone could have made that simple mistake.
Old 24-08-2008, 22:42   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

then why was it shown at a London 2012 event in Beijing? if boris n downing street are to be believed.
Old 24-08-2008, 22:48   #28
God Member

Quote:
then why was it shown at a London 2012 event in Beijing? if boris n downing street are to be believed.
Probably a lack of consideration over the content of the video. Nobody has caused a fuss over it before so what difference would it make at the olympics in beijing? That is obviously the view somebody has taken. Likely down to just a rushed idea and not thinking it through fully.

The new promotional video is still fantastic and is getting brilliant response on youtube, so I think it is going a bit far to say the 2012 olympics are doomed.
Old 24-08-2008, 23:11   #29
God Member

Quote:
Of course they are to be believed. Nobody is denying it was shown.

I certainly didn't see it when I watched the Olympics. Apparently it is a non-public video that is showing tourism in Britain. Including such things as public galleries.
Old 24-08-2008, 23:25   #30
Give, give, give member

I saw the painting at the Sensations exhibition at the Royal Academy, and it's rubbish.

Simplistic, and an easy way of attracting cheap publicity, by using such an iconic, and loathed image.

Marcus Harvey is little known outside of Hoxton, and certainly not on a major, or indeed minor, player in the art world.

The video producers would have been wiser to use Hirst's Sheep, or diamond encrusted skull. Like him, or loath him, he at least is the most economically successful living artist in the world today.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..