Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2008, 20:19   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Unbelievable.

just read on ceefax, that a portrait of Myra Hindley has been shown in a Promotional Video in Beijing, advertising London 2012 Olympics. now what cretin is responsible for the inclusion of this is unknown at this point, but fer me whoever should be uncovered n SACKED on the spot, i thought we were getting near the pits,i was wrong.we are in em.
Old 24-08-2008, 20:26   #2
God Member

Re: Unbelievable.

BBC NEWS | UK | Hindley portrait use criticised
The olympic committee didn't do it - it was that 'childrens handprint' art.
Bad taste!!!!

PS the 'artist' is keeping a low profile
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...igallery.art17

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-08-2008 at 20:29.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 20:42   #3
God Member

My interpretation of the picture is quite different to most and I don't see it as something meant to cause offense at all. I am not just saying this to be annoying either before anyone suggests it.

I saw this picture whilst flicking through an art book and my initial thought was that it was a portrayal of justice. I thought it was almost taunting, the fact that all those children made their mark like that. It was only when I found newspaper reports on the painting that I considered it from the angle that most people think of it and see it as offensive.

I think if I was selecting a picture to represent the controversial and famous art of this country then that is the one most people would point out, but probably wouldn't choose as the picture to use to advertise our olympics. Perhaps something by Banksy would have been a 'softer' option as most pieces by him have a pretty obvious message, whereas the Hindley one is quite ambiguous.

That's my look on it anyway. I can see it is a bad choice, but at the same time I can understand the perspective of the person who picked it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 20:43   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yeh but the artist cannot have been responsible fer including that in the video? noway i'm having that. or if the video was not vetted prior, then thats incompetence and whoever should be dismissed, is my view.
Old 24-08-2008, 20:44   #5
Super Moderator

This is just the start of the curse of the London Olympics. The whole thing is doomed to disaster...there will be countless cock-ups, the costs will spiral out of control and the British public will come to rue the day that we even put our bid in. Can you imagine it being any other way with serial incompetents like Gordon Brown and Harriet Harman in charge?

...and all we'll be left with in the end will be a rusting, semi-derelict site with the wind blowing through the weeds just like Athens.
Old 24-08-2008, 20:46   #6
God Member

I think I am too liberal for a conversation on this! The London Olympics are going to be brilliant though
Old 24-08-2008, 20:47   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
My interpretation of the picture is quite different to most

That's my look on it anyway. I can see it is a bad choice, but at the same time I can understand the perspective of the person who picked it.
i agree yer interpretation must be different to most. but if you can understand the perspective of someone picking summat like that, then you leave me gobsmacked.
Old 24-08-2008, 20:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i agree yer interpretation must be different to most. but if you can understand the perspective of someone picking summat like that, then you leave me gobsmacked.
Well I just told you why I can understand that. The art scene at the moment is full of controversial modern art, and if anyone was asked to pick the MOST controversial piece painted by a british artist that would probably be it.

You don't know how that picture was selected. If it was put to a survey to select the most controversial and famous piece without saying WHY they were selecting it then nobody would think twice about picking that one, and then in theory the public would have picked it! It is very easily done.
Old 24-08-2008, 20:56   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

its supposed to be promoting the olympics 2012 london, so how the hell do you come to that conclusion.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:01   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its supposed to be promoting the olympics 2012
london, so how the hell do you come to that conclusion.
Having not seen the promotion myself, I can only assume that it shows several famous aspects of the country and art surely must be one of those things. I can't think of anything other excuse for it because I haven't seen it.

If it is the only non-sport related part of the promotion then it as obviously been hacked into at some point of the production of it and it has been slipped in to cause a bit of a stir.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:01   #11

It wasn’t anything to do with the 2012 organisers Visit London according to the link, Boris is miffed, Downing St are none too pleased…someone must have commissioned these people to do the film and passed it off as ok before it’s showing in Beijing.

I hope some fool’s P45 is in the post.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:11   #12
God Member

I just watched a video on youtube of the promotion, I didn't see Myra Hindley so it has either been edited or it is a completely different video but I must say that I got goosebumps watching the videa and it really did make me feel proud to be British for once!

Fabulous
Old 24-08-2008, 21:13   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

The inclusion of any image of Hindley in a promotional video is, to say the least, crass. I don't suppose the Moors Murders have the same impact on the under 40s as on those of us who remember when they happened but, none the less, everyone knows the history. It's a bit like making a promo video of Germany and including a portrait of Hitler.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:22   #14
God Member

Comparing Myra Hindley to Hitler is a bit over the top if you ask me, though I think Hindley did damage the country to some extent of course.

However it wasn't a photograph of the woman, it was a painting done by a talented and imaginative british artist and I think that is the whole point of any painting of that nature being included in a promotion of the country rather than the promotion of someone like Hindley herself.

Either way, it's obviously an unintended inclusion in the promotion so it's not really worth complaining about. It's probably been dealt with now.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:27   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
it really did make me feel proud to be British for once!

Fabulous
Proud that out of the £9 billion projected cost. £6 billion is coming from the hard-pressed British tax payer? I wonder how many hospitals or schools that would pay for?

Proud that 363 Olympics-related contracts have been awarded to London companies, while 20 have been awarded to North Western companies?

Yep, that's really something to be proud of.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..