Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Unclaimed Lottery Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
thanks Jambutty , best I ever could do was try the "8 from 10" with a 2 bob bet , looking back it must have been quite an operation to hand check each coupon , unless you were the lucky one who sent a claim in by a telegram .......wonder where they sent the telegrams from , the post offices would be shut by then (would they not ? 5 pm on a Saturaday afternoon ) .

jumping sideways , I suppose the Vernons girls were the first "spice girls" according to this wiki link they are the longest surviving girl group (hard to imagine)..The Vernons Girls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
The pools checking operation was extremely well organised and the girls doing it were highly skilled in the art of doing so.

In those days, if you were posh enough, you could use your home phone to send a telegram and the rest of us had to go to the local phone box armed with lots of change and send a telegram from there. Or wait until Monday to use the post office. I was never troubled by that decision.

My first win on the football pools was when I was eleven. My dad let me pick one line of 10 matches on the 10 results for 6d on his coupon. I won one pound, one shilling and the postal order arrived in mid week. Then in later years I hit on a plan where I won on 6 consecutive weeks. It wasn’t a lot but a win, is a win, is a win. After that I had few minor wins here and there.

I would select 10 matches that I thought would end up as a draw or an away win. Then I would use those same matches on the 3 Draws and 4 Aways using a perm plan that I had worked out. A full perm of any 3 from 10 came to 120 lines but in my plan I eliminated many lines to end up with 20 lines. Similarly a full perm of any 4 from 10 came to 210 lines that were also cut down to 20 lines. The lines that were eliminated were those that contained three consecutive matches, every other one, two together and one elsewhere etc. My plan guaranteed that if 5 of the ten matches ended as a draw I would have at least one winning line. If 6 of the matches ended up as an away win, there would be at least one line of 4 aways.

My maths lessons at school were not wasted.

In fact the pools companies supplied these cut down perms in a free booklet or you could work out your own and register it with them.

Happy days - but mainly losses.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:09   #17
Resting in Peace

Re: Unclaimed Lottery Prize

Well I have no problem, with claming when I win on the lottery, I do it on line, so if you win he send you an Email to tell you and automtically pay the monety into your account. They also tell you when you ned to by your ticket as I put the numbers on 5 weeks at a time
Old 11-08-2008, 07:21   #18
Loz

Just started doing it that way myself Jay,kept forgetting to put it on in town and because i do the same numbers every week i was very nervous on a saturday night!
Set it up online so i don't have to think about it anymore,good idea imo.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:51   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Just started doing it that way myself Jay,kept forgetting to put it on in town and because i do the same numbers every week i was very nervous on a saturday night!
Set it up online so i don't have to think about it anymore,good idea imo.
Been doing it on line for a few years now, makes perfect sense to me Loz especially if you use the sme numbers each week like I do
Old 16-08-2008, 03:00   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The pools checking operation was extremely well organised and the girls doing it were highly skilled in the art of doing so.

In those days, if you were posh enough, you could use your home phone to send a telegram and the rest of us had to go to the local phone box armed with lots of change and send a telegram from there. Or wait until Monday to use the post office. I was never troubled by that decision.

My first win on the football pools was when I was eleven. My dad let me pick one line of 10 matches on the 10 results for 6d on his coupon. I won one pound, one shilling and the postal order arrived in mid week. Then in later years I hit on a plan where I won on 6 consecutive weeks. It wasn’t a lot but a win, is a win, is a win. After that I had few minor wins here and there.

I would select 10 matches that I thought would end up as a draw or an away win. Then I would use those same matches on the 3 Draws and 4 Aways using a perm plan that I had worked out. A full perm of any 3 from 10 came to 120 lines but in my plan I eliminated many lines to end up with 20 lines. Similarly a full perm of any 4 from 10 came to 210 lines that were also cut down to 20 lines. The lines that were eliminated were those that contained three consecutive matches, every other one, two together and one elsewhere etc. My plan guaranteed that if 5 of the ten matches ended as a draw I would have at least one winning line. If 6 of the matches ended up as an away win, there would be at least one line of 4 aways.

My maths lessons at school were not wasted.

In fact the pools companies supplied these cut down perms in a free booklet or you could work out your own and register it with them.

Happy days - but mainly losses.
This should probably be a new thread , (the moderators will move if they thing needed) but one good thing about the old football coupons was that they taught a generation of English youth the geography of the UK , wonder how many of todays youngsters could look at a map of the UK and stick pins into a map of the towns of the various teams (Port Vale and Tranmere Rovers being the exceptions ......how many folks actually new which towns these teams played in )
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 09:23   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
This should probably be a new thread , (the moderators will move if they thing needed) but one good thing about the old football coupons was that they taught a generation of English youth the geography of the UK , wonder how many of todays youngsters could look at a map of the UK and stick pins into a map of the towns of the various teams (Port Vale and Tranmere Rovers being the exceptions ......how many folks actually new which towns these teams played in )
I do SJ as I've been to most of um, Scotland as well

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..