Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2007, 17:00   #16
God Member

Re: Unisex toilets plan for schools

Strange idea and I dont really know what I think about it. Bullying generally seems to be within the same gender from my experiences... girls bullied by girls, boys bullied by boys. I wonder if they think perhaps if they were same sex then the opposite sex wuld step in...

However most people know that isnt the case as often the opposite sex tends to do the cheering on bit...

They're going to make public toilets for transgender/transexual people as well soon, its in a proposed bill at the moment, equal rights and all that. I don't know what I think of that either. Is it liberating them or treating them as if their too different to use the same toilets?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2007, 09:47   #17
God Member

I was horrified at the prospect at first, because, being female, I remember how menstruation was a subject to be hidden, even from your own gender.
My mother hid her ST towels half way down in the bedding box. As a child I found them accidentally and wondered what they were - never asked - sensed the subject was taboo. Now tv advertising has liberated the topic.

This proposal for unisex toilets may work against bullying -IF
Girls and boys have seperate lockable cubicles.
Girls do not want to sit on seats 'sprayed' by boys. Neither do girls want to walk past a row of urinals where boys are busy comparing sizes

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 10:45   #18

quicky behind bike sheds toilets will be much warmer and some were to sit
Old 26-06-2007, 12:21   #19
Resident Waffler

I thought all public toilets had lockable cubicles. The ladies do anyway. I wouldn't like to use one that didn't.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 15:00   #20
God Member

You dont change your sanitary towel in public, your behind the door of the cubicle. All toilet doors have locks on anyway and I'm sure these nwe unisex toilets will.

Its alot of fuss over nothing when yiu think about. Disabled toilets are unisex and you dont hear them complaining!
Old 26-06-2007, 19:14   #21
Give, give, give member

Perhaps they'll be like some of the unisex loos in France, with attendents to brush you down, wipe your hands with a warm towel, and proffer an array of colognes.

Any tips could be given to school funds.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 06:44   #22

they do that in most of the gents toilets in blackpool now
Old 27-06-2007, 07:31   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
You dont change your sanitary towel in public, your behind the door of the cubicle. All toilet doors have locks on anyway and I'm sure these nwe unisex toilets will.

Its alot of fuss over nothing when yiu think about. Disabled toilets are unisex and you dont hear them complaining!
It's not so much the doing of your own private requirements behind your own locked cubicle door that's the problem.

It's the young hormone driven teenagers of both sexes being in a place where they can lock themselves into a cubicle together which screams out NO! NO! NO!

The perfect location for sexual harrassment too. The shyer more retiring girls would not want to have to 'go' when there may be a crowd of lads loitering outside the cubicle door.

Disabled toilets are different. They tend to be one cubicle only with outside access and one user at a time.

Old 27-06-2007, 08:38   #24
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

well i dont fancy taking a pee knowing some young lads are stood there listening, its a stupid idea..but i must admit i used to use the mens in the night clubs because the loos were full
Old 27-06-2007, 08:39   #25
Resident Waffler

I remember it being against some regulation or other not to have seperate toilets for men and women in the workplace.

Old 27-06-2007, 17:47   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's not so much the doing of your own private requirements behind your own locked cubicle door that's the problem.

It's the young hormone driven teenagers of both sexes being in a place where they can lock themselves into a cubicle together which screams out NO! NO! NO!

The perfect location for sexual harrassment too. The shyer more retiring girls would not want to have to 'go' when there may be a crowd of lads loitering outside the cubicle door.

Disabled toilets are different. They tend to be one cubicle only with outside access and one user at a time.
Thats assuming teenagers are sex mad and anti-social. If teenagers wanted to have sex in toilets, do you think a sing on a door stops that? There is the same risk of being caught having sex in a cubicle with or without a little person on the door.

Sexual harassment doesn't class as lads standing outside a cubicle door either.

I don't know how old you are but you clearly have a big gap with the younger generation as you seem to think they're too antisocial to go to a unisex toilet responsibly. Gives me the impression its the older ones who'd kick up a fuss about unisex toilets, sounds like the younger ones would just get on with it, which is more likely as the younger generations are brought up in a faster developing society than the older generations who are afraid of change without thinking of every negative aspect imaginable to going as far as assuming young people just want to lock themselves in with eachother in the toilets.

At primary schools both sexes experiment in the cloakrooms, at high school they go to the cinema, believe or not once they leave they do it in the privacy of their own homes. Very few are going to be running to the toilets for a quicky. Theres nothing actually giving them less oppurtunity now before the unisex toilets are in place.

Perhaps in the older generations people DID have to sneak for a quicky where ever they could? Is that what it is?
Old 27-06-2007, 17:58   #27
Senior Member+

Is this not a hm-gov directive, will it not save space, and reduce building costs

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 23:17   #28
Resident Waffler

This member of the older generation never sneaked a quickie anywhere. I'm one of those who believe that sex should be reserved for marriage. Thankfully there are still some of the younger generation who think that way too. There are unfortunately far more teenage pregnancies in this country today than there were when I was a teenager. In fact I read today that we're the worst country in Europe which I find rather sad.

Old 10-07-2007, 14:46   #29

i work in school and that idea is so wrong, its like unisex chaning rooms at some swimming baths
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 13:51   #30

What idiot thought this up? I asked my children about this and they are horrified at the idea. Girls don't want to share toilets with boys especially when they are learning to cope with their body changes. According to my daughter it was bad enough having toilets next to each other. The boys were always trying to sneak in and because the teachers didn't have the powers to deal with them the girls eventually took to standing guard at the main door. Cubicles are not safe enough. All public toilets I've used or cleaned have open tops and the doors are easy to crawl under. Bad Bad idea. Where's the common sense gone from this government?
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..