Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2022, 04:23   #106
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Up to 70million investment for Accrington Town centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Every day a school day!
taddy likes this.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:59   #107

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1263407]Thank you Less…..we always used two hands to make long bacon…not to the nose though, but at the side of our heads…..it was usually done(if to an adult) behind their back….to their face if it was another child.

Taddy my maiden name was Duxbury…..but not a gobbiner….we lived all our formative years on Riley’s Hill and our playground was Priestley Clough and Bullough Park.[

I knew about your maiden name Marge and I also knew that you were not a gobbiner, Gobbiners I am led to believe were folk who were born (above the gas lamp), in Ossie, (Oswaldtwistle), not Australia. I did know that you came from Riley's Hill but as I will be three score years and fifteen next week my memory is slipping a bit and I could not recall the fact. I put the Gobbiner in for effect and to attract a response, some folk on Accy Web will no doubt put me right on the fact/fiction about Gobbiners.

Stay safe, Keep posting, Yours Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 14:11   #108
Beacon of light

I knew that you knew all of that….the information was for others who read this here. UT do not know.
I would not steal the title of gobbiner from someone who rightly deserves it.
taddy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 17:22   #109
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

How about this for an idea?

Instead of wasting brass on the market /front of town hall trying in vain to get accy to be a reclaimed tourist centre, we put forward a plan to reclaim our roads, a tram system!
We could do away with those silly EU investment 'traffic calming humps' and 'sticky out bus stops' return our roads to us because traffic would have to travel more carefully along our highways and byways if we had trams.

It would be better than buses, would actually encourage tourism, (I'd come here to travel on a tram), and the novelty effect would be good for the so called tourists, shops and even encourage business if we could be so forward thinking as to look back.

Ambitious, yes, far reaching, yes, far fetched? NO, we need to stand out, any monies we beg for should be spent showing we are different and worth investing in.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:00   #110
God Member

bring back accrington corporation passenger transport department.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:46   #111
Beacon of light

That would be a wonderful Unique selling point Less.

I like that idea Less…and wouldn’t it be good if we could get some of the antique trams…..rather than the sleek modern things.
That would be even more of a reason to come to Accrington…..and the cafes and pubs would get the benefit….and maybe the shops too.
I would come to ride on a tram.
taddy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:13   #112
God Member

that does sound good but a total non starter in practise. the cost of laying down track and overhead copper wires would be exhorbatant. even if vintage trams could be purchased i doubt they,d be up to the job of doing more than a few trips at the weekend. if you went down the cheaper vintage bus route you are talking about vehicles over 50 years old that really interest people. these would need a certificate of fitness the same as a modern vehicle to transport people about. even for newer vehicles this is very expensive and time consuming.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:29   #113
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
that does sound good but a total non starter in practise. the cost of laying down track and overhead copper wires would be exhorbatant. even if vintage trams could be purchased i doubt they,d be up to the job of doing more than a few trips at the weekend. if you went down the cheaper vintage bus route you are talking about vehicles over 50 years old that really interest people. these would need a certificate of fitness the same as a modern vehicle to transport people about. even for newer vehicles this is very expensive and time consuming.
Of course it would be expensive to set up but that doesn't make it a non starter, modern trams are supposed to be a much greener form of transport, so by playing the 'greenies' at their own game all sorts of grants could be available (notice that could word again), it has to be of more use to our community than many of the proposed plans needing that £70M, (do we really, really, need an escape room?).
It would take years of planning but if taken seriously by the powers that be can be of great benefit to the area.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:50   #114
God Member

blackpool must still be the smallest place in the country that has a tram network and having a reserved track for it and once being a tourist attraction may be the reason for it. always remember the words of a dutch transport expert saying something on the lines of if you already have a tram network in a smaller town then stick with it but do not start a new one. accringto aint nottingham or blackpool for that matter and some may say thank the lord for that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..