Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2006, 13:51   #1

urban legends

I've heard many urban legend to do with moorhead high school. The one that sticks to my mind is about a student dying at the bell on Cromwell building, heard that one by someone few years above me when I was in year 8. didn't believe it for a second (honestly)

have any of you heard any urban legend?
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2006, 13:57   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: urban legends

I left Moorhead in 1984 and have never heard of the student dying at the bell can you elaborate on that one. Who was the student? When did this supposedly happen?

I'm a nosy ****** aren't I?

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 14:03   #3

lol

i dont know when it happen. i just heard it off someone who heard it from someone else. thats why i didn't believe it.

Another one i heard was that before the school was built there was a farm and on it some kid was riding a horse at night and somehow became headless. anyway apparently his headless 'ghost' has been seen in corridoors at moorhead. saying "give me my head" i don't believe this one an'all (honestly)
Old 30-08-2006, 14:12   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Hehehe, never heard that one either.......School was obviously very boring when I was there.

The headless horseman used to ride the canal path inbetween Church and Rishton when I was a kid. People used to say that they had seen him near the Dunkenhalgh. I think it was a ploy to keep kids from playing near the canal..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 30-08-2006, 14:14   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
The headless horseman used to ride the canal path inbetween Church and Rishton when I was a kid. People used to say that they had seen him near the Dunkenhalgh. I think it was a ploy to keep kids from playing near the canal..
No ploy.......he has been seen many times.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 14:21   #6

Quote:
he has been seen many times.
have you seen him yourself or just heard it from someone who heard it from someone else?
Old 30-08-2006, 14:23   #7
God Member

No, I've seen him twice. Fear roots you to the spot; your bones freeze and your hair falls out.
Old 30-08-2006, 14:25   #8

Are you sure you didn't just see your reflection in the canal? lol
Old 30-08-2006, 14:49   #9
God Member

The first time was many years ago. I suppose I was 13 or 14 at the time, and with several chums. It was a cold december evening, and we had set off down the Dunkenhalgh with air rifles and a few flagons of Strongbow to kill a few riverside rats and rabbits. I remember there was ice on the ground and it was very dark as we left the canal bank and proceeded down the path past Ponthalgh farm.

In those days, of course, there was no motorway cutting through the estate, so there was no artificial light. We reached the bridge where the Aspen/Tinker brook joins the Hyndburn and walked into a wall of mist...and absolute silence. You could see no more than your arm's length...suddenly, from behind, came this eerie, low pitched sound and as we turned, a wind hit us in the face...and yet the mist did not appear to move. Then suddenly, upon us was a hugh black beast of maybe 16 or 17 hands, and on it was mounted an English Roundhead, one arm outstretched with mighty sabre in hand, the other holding the reins. But where his head and helmet should be...there was nothing...just a plume of blood erupting from his neck and cascading over the front of his silver breastplate. He was past in an instant and behind him the mist slowly cleared.

Needless to say, we shot neither rat or rabbit that night.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 30-08-2006 at 14:53.
Old 30-08-2006, 15:03   #10
Give, give, give member

Is Moorhead a real school?

Thought that was an urban myth.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 15:23   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Needless to say, we shot neither rat or rabbit that night.
Oooh, how spooky. I used to walk from Church to Rishton every weekend as a teenager. We worked at the riding school in Rishton and used to walk the canal route every Saturday and Sunday morning at about 5am. Never did see the headless horseman but being a gaggle of teenage girls we used to talk about it. We never hung around on the canal path though......it was always a fairly brisk walk..

Old 30-08-2006, 16:48   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Oooh, how spooky. I used to walk from Church to Rishton every weekend as a teenager. We worked at the riding school in Rishton and used to walk the canal route every Saturday and Sunday morning at about 5am. Never did see the headless horseman but being a gaggle of teenage girls we used to talk about it. We never hung around on the canal path though......it was always a fairly brisk walk..
Thats because he only comes out after closing time.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 17:11   #13

I've heard one about coppice
Two friends going up it at night, saw a house half way up. They went inside all the lights were on with screams coming from upstairs. looked at the wall, had human on the wall (like how hunters have animal heads). they ran out returned next day while sun was out and there was nothing there.
Old 30-08-2006, 17:28   #14
Senior Member+

best urban legend i heard was that there was a shop in accrington that wasnt a everything a pound shop

scary thought.
Old 30-08-2006, 17:32   #15
God Member

Ace tale Mr Tealeaf I got goose bumps reading that then ...

Kash I think you and your mates having been watching to many horror movies

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..