Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 10:35   #1
Senior Member+

Question Who Watched : Honey I Suckle The Kids ?

Now in my opinion breastfeeding is one of the best things a new mum could do to give her newborn baby antibodies they need. As they say ...breast is best.

But to carry on doing it when your child is 6 and older, as some mums on tv was doing last night on tv isnt quite right. Just been told from a friend that her sister-in-law is still breastfeeding a 7 year old.

What age do you personally think breast feeding should stop and do you think im not right in thinking that breastfeeding children aint right. This opinion excludes 3rd world countries by the way, where poverty is ripe.

jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2006, 10:36   #2

hah did you see the little britain sketch about it,,,,most funny
Old 01-09-2006, 10:37   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Who Watched : Honey I Suckle The Kids ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
hah did you see the little britain sketch about it,,,,most funny

You mean "BITTIE" ....
Old 01-09-2006, 10:39   #4
I am Banned

am i to assume these sick mothers turn up at school breaks and slap it through the railings liek a hamster bottle for their kids to suck on ?

sorry but breast feeding a 6year old is for teh mothers pleasure not the childs needs
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43   #5
God Member

I personally couldn't even bring myself to feed my children from the breast, but then again thats the wonderful thing about having choices.

BUT!!! to carry on until the child is attending school is sick in my opinion.

And why do they do it?? you wouldn't see a 7 year old still drinking powdered milk out of a baby bottle would you??

I think it's the mothers that have issues when they are still breast feeding at that age.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43   #6
Senior Member+

Phew ..... thought it was just me that thought it aint right.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55   #7
white rabbits

I saw a trailer for the programe ,and there was an article in the paper ,,THAT WAS ENOUGH,, sick i call it... imho
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55   #8
I am Banned

I breast fed my 1st [cos u get pushed into it] i could only manage a month tops - gee it was painful & blimey couldnt handle the demand of my boobs - even blokes dont take that much time over them hehehehe

We had a mum at nursery who's 3/4 year old was still suckling & wasn't quite discreet either - teeth on nips - yeeeeeeeeee-ooooowww bad enough with gummys

Basically as people said it is for the mothers needs not the childs, i've watched a few progs where mother is still breast feeding a child, & bascially the mother was one having problems letting go not the child - one mother gave up only for hours she sneaked off to breast feed her child totally confusing it at the same time, she had problems accepting her kid was growing up & doesn't need to be that dependant on her!!

Personally i think certainly before child goes to school then breast feeding stops or they are causing abuse or force because it can be quite psychological if that child is usually one or two that attends the school still suckling tantermounting to bullying later on. Usually most mums wean of breastfeeding by the age of 2 or even before then. If they have a good diet then no need for 'baby' milk of any kind.

Last edited by accymel; 01-09-2006 at 10:57.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:18   #9
Senior Member+

I think six months is about right. Mine were bottle fed and if I remember rightly, it's a long time ago, I started to wean them off it around that age.

You wouldn't included four ounces of Cow and Gate in a seven year old's packed lunch would you?

I agree with everyone else, it's a problem with the mother.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:21   #10
Senior Member+

I would have loved to have breast fed both my babies, but due to complications during labour and going into shock my milk never came.

Who remembers in the olden days, breast feeding mums could pop down to the clinic with any excess milk for the prem babies on the wards.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:09   #11
I am Banned

i was accidently breast fed at age 32

yuk i stayed away from them till the baby went on bottles
Old 01-09-2006, 12:17   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i was accidently breast fed at age 32

yuk i stayed away from them till the baby went on bottles

lol, by the way i wonder how many men have actually tasted breast milk ?
Old 01-09-2006, 16:52   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Personally I think that breastfeeding up to 2 years old is perfectly acceptable. Many babies after the age of 12 months only require a night feed.

There are many countries where breastfeeding older children is part of the culture and considered normal. Here in the West we have other options and are lucky in that respect.

In Nepal it is customary for the Grandmother to breastfeed the baby while the mother works. Here it would be considered sick and wrong but over there it is normal practise. Women in Scandinavia are often seen feeding toddlers and older children in public places. Breastfeeding is the norm over there, women are paid and given more time off work in order to do it and nobody bats an eyelid because it is normal.

Bear in mind that exclusive breastfeeding delays ovulation and for some women, especially in the Third World, it is their only form of contraception. Women have no power in these countries and cannot insist that their husband use a condom. Many of these women have no access to the pill, femidom, diaphragm, sponge or depo-provera.

Personally I would have to draw the line at feeding an older child, but that is my own personal preference.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 16:59   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
In Nepal it is customary for the Grandmother to breastfeed the baby while the mother works.
wouldnt this mean that the grandmother would either have to be pregnant herself or have kept herself producing milk for many years
Old 01-09-2006, 17:09   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
wouldnt this mean that the grandmother would either have to be pregnant herself or have kept herself producing milk for many years
I'm confused by that one myself Chav .. you don't produce the milk whilst pregnant, or maybe if you were still feeding a child from a previous pregnancy it does keep going ? How do they keep it flowing all those years for their grandchildren ? Pehapsthey just act as a dummy? Over to you Lettie ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..