Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2010, 19:51   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Voting Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
How do you define the age of responsibility and how would it be judged as such.
Up until 1969 in the UK 21 was deemed to be the "age" & in some western cultures still, namely the USA 21 is the benchmark. I think in UK you still have to be 21 to hold a HGV/PSV, should you apply the same logic as to that referring to the voting age ... HGV/PSV for 16 year olds ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2010, 20:17   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The voting age should be whatever is the age you can enlist in the armed forces to my thinking, if yer old enough to die fer yer country, yer old enough to vote, simple as.
Old 24-10-2010, 20:22   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Up until 1969 in the UK 21 was deemed to be the "age" & in some western cultures still, namely the USA 21 is the benchmark. I think in UK you still have to be 21 to hold a HGV/PSV, should you apply the same logic as to that referring to the voting age ... HGV/PSV for 16 year olds ?
The only age restriction I know of here in the US is the legal drinking age , you have to be 21 to purchase or consume alcohol in a bar or store, everything else including voting is 18 . It was made nationwide a few years back , kind of makes 'some' sense when you consider the high death toll of young drivers in road accidents.
On the other hand , in my mind it discriminates against the young folks who are in the military, unfortunatly they can't go out for a legal pint with the old man when home on leave, which seems a bit unfair to me , think they are allowed to use the clubs on Base though .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 05:55   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I wouldnt trust some 16 year olds with a bicycle let alone anything with a motor. Yet that is tarring them all with the same brush. Some will be more mature some less mature than 16 but then that can be applied over all age groups. There are some 18+ that are worse than 13 year old kids never mind 16 year old ones yet they have the vote if they can be arsed using it.. Dosnt mater what happens or what is chosen it will be done when the time is deemed right

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 07:11   #20
Give, give, give member

It does seem odd you can go to war, drive a car, have sex, vote, get married, all at different ages.

They should be unified.

To twenty five.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 08:41   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It does seem odd you can go to war, drive a car, have sex, vote, get married, all at different ages.

They should be unified.

To twenty five.

twenty five!!!!! yah will be giving women a vote next.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:15   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
twenty five!!!!! yah will be giving women a vote next.
Don't be daft that would be bloody stupid
Old 25-10-2010, 09:19   #23
Resting in Peace

I remember when I first took an interest in politics I was sixteen, in those days the voting age was 21, I think it was right that the age was dropped to 18 but any lower would be a big mistake
Old 25-10-2010, 16:38   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Granted Spuggs there will always be some more or less mature in any age bracket, but at 16 the kids are still developing themselves. They're just about starting to see adult concepts & it's a whole world away from whatever they've experienced previously.

Classic cases, look at the threads on here, how cynical, jaded & disillusioned are some of the points in reference to Politicians & Politics ? Then there are those who are adamant that whatever their Party does is right irrespective of the fallout ! The Majority of these views are put forward by folk in what ? 20+ & upwards to our Old Codgers !

At least these people have had a vast wealth of life experiences so can better judge a situation & the likely outcome, with age comes wisdom & admittedly cynicism. But the fact is it's age that gives folk this insight & intuition, so with that in mind surely for the age to be older rather than younger is the best course ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:52   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember when I first took an interest in politics I was sixteen, in those days the voting age was 21, I think it was right that the age was dropped to 18 but any lower would be a big mistake
Fully in agreement Jay - what I have seen and heard of today's younger teens i.e. 16/17 year olds - they need guidance on where to apply the toilet paper - trust them with the vote? No way. Even 18 is dubious but as said earlier - if they can die for the country then they should be allowed the vote.
Old 25-10-2010, 17:56   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates
they need guidance on where to apply the toilet paper
Is that the polite way of saying 'they don't know their arse from their elbow'?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 25-10-2010 at 18:01.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:59   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Is that the polite way of saying 'they don't their arse from their elbow'?
Well theres one working down london sure as hell don't.
Old 25-10-2010, 18:00   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Is that the polite way of saying 'they don't their arse from their elbow'?
Think its much more direct than that yerself
Old 25-10-2010, 18:58   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The voting age should be whatever is the age you can enlist in the armed forces to my thinking, if yer old enough to die fer yer country, yer old enough to vote, simple as.

I agree with this, only fair in my opinion
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:48   #30
God Member

Not sure if this is part of Graham Jones intention, but it seems to be good way of cracking down on juvenile crime (being tough on Law and Order is allways good for a few votes), If 16 year olds are considered to be adults it also follows that they will also be liable to be treated as adults by the Courts and if neccesary serve time in adult jails , and only 15 year olds and younger go in front of the juvenile courts. Sounds a bit Taliban like to me but if it works thats fine
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..