Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2010, 17:51   #1
God Member

Voting Age

Is our esteemed member serious or is he trying to get himself noticed? It would seem 83% of Telegraph readers, including myself, disagree with him.

East Lancashire MP calls for voting age to be cut to 16 (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2010, 18:04   #2
God Member

Re: Voting Age

If the members of the house think x is for x-box then a hell of a lot of people are at it. Yes they are growing up fast and feel marginelised and want a say in what is happening. They are our future so maybe it is time we listened. Mind you the older members of the house may fear the younger the voter the more chance they have of losing their seat. It will be a bitter debate esp as you can die for your country but not be able to vote. Best bet would be to lower it to 17 and hope that is a happy balance.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 18:14   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Is our esteemed member serious or is he trying to get himself noticed? It would seem 83% of Telegraph readers, including myself, disagree with him.

East Lancashire MP calls for voting age to be cut to 16 (From Lancashire Telegraph)
I was following the debate about this on line last week, Graham had quite a lot say about the subject, I also am against the idea, think 18 is the right age for voting
Old 24-10-2010, 18:20   #4
God Member

I read Graham's contribution to the debate (Clause 2 — Entitlement to...: 18 Oct 2010: House of Commons debates (TheyWorkForYou.com)). He was asked how many 16 year olds had written to him asking to be given the vote, but didn't respond. Perhaps he would let us know?

I know some 16 and 17 year olds can be passionate about the issues, but they can be passionate and affect politics without having the vote. What do we say if a 15 or 14 year old becomes passionate about politics and wants the vote?

There has to be a limit somewhere and there doesn't seem to be any argument given as to why 16 and not 15 or 14.
Old 24-10-2010, 18:26   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I believe this has been advocated by Labour, the Greens & the SNP in the past, plus other organisations have made mutterings in this direction, I personally think it's an idiotic suggestion, you can give it all the guff about marginalisation, maturity, expectations & more aware but it's all liberal fluffy thinking.

So we start by letting them vote, then you've given them that responsibility, are they then not deemed responsible enough to go & have a drink ? Pub at 16 ? that is the inference. Anyone wishing to join the military at 16 needs to have their papers signed by a Parent or Guardian & even then they can't serve in a Combat zone until 18, so this must also be waived, after all they're now "responsible enough" at 16 to decide the Countries future so by all accounts their own.

I still maintain the majority of 16 year olds are not fully cognisant or emotionally & mentally balanced enough to take on these responsibilities, so things are better left as they are. As it is in this modern world the Kids are getting no time to be Kids & are being rushed into Adulthood earlier & into a confrontation they're ill prepared to face !

Doesn't anyone else see the inherent pitfalls in this ludicrous suggestion ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 18:40   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I remember when the voting age was brought down to 18, it just so happened to be my age at the time, I was Chuffed as little buttons that I could vote, but had no idea at the time who I should or shouldn't vote for, I ended up relying on my Fathers prejudiced advice.
In actual fact, back then what he said is no way something that could be repeated because of the P.C. brigade! But it does turn out to be true.

The short & none racist version is, don't believe anyone they only want your money.

Hell, like any teenager I ignored him, is that why I'm skint?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 18:41   #7
Senior Member+

This has always been a favourite of Labour politicians. Why? Because at 16 you can afford to have left wing leanings and many young people do. They tend to change as they get in the big, wide, wicked world.
So who would they vote for? Guess.
Having said that when you read some of the posts on Accyweb there are some people much older than 16 who STILL shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 18:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Having said that when you read some of the posts on Accyweb there are some people much older than 16 who STILL shouldn't be allowed to vote.
I hope, to show equality you include yourself in that list?

After all it is easy for all of us to say what is wrong, but how many of us really know what is right?

Old 24-10-2010, 18:52   #9
Senior Member+

Equality is a myth, Less. Quote-' All men are equal but some are more equal than others.'

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 24-10-2010 at 18:55.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 18:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Equality is a myth, Less. All men are equal but some are more equal than others.
Ahh, rather than give a reason we get a proverb, 1 out of 10 for the site spelling your name right!

Equality is something we all deserve, no matter what excuse the superior give for denying it to the rest.
Old 24-10-2010, 19:20   #11
God Member

Buggar the voting age. Surely the first qualification should be that you can speak, write and read english; the second qualification should be that you are a British subject. There may well be an argument for a 17 year old to be enfranchaised, but I cannot see how we can give the vote to a citizen of Mozambique who may be resident in this country for a year or so - which is currently the case. the same goes for all our Commonwealth and EU friends.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 24-10-2010 at 19:24.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 19:21   #12
God Member

Sod it let it be that you have to be 45+ to vote.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 24-10-2010, 19:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Sod it let it be that you have to be 45+ to vote.
Bloody Hell, I've just reached an age where I'll have to be responsible!
No If I was old enough I'd vote against that one.
Old 24-10-2010, 19:28   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Bloody Hell, I've just reached an age where I'll have to be responsible!
No If I was old enough I'd vote against that one.

And there in lies the problem; How do you define the age of responsibility and how would it be judged as such.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 24-10-2010, 19:50   #15
Resting in Peace

I only ever voted once.I soon realised that whatever colour jacket the organ grinders monkey wore the organ played the same tune.:

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..