Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 22:57   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: War! hun What is it good for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
How many more people would have been murdered at his hands had he not been stopped?
True but there is also genocide in Angola. No western intervention there because it isn't strategically place near oil fields.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2006, 22:58   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
We were told they had evidence of weapons of mass desruction, they didn't.
Yes but from the news items I saw Saddam himself tried to make it look like he had them. He was having large items moved during the night from compounds to other compounds which, IMHO, he was just generally trying to play a game that he lost. He never believed the coalition were serious, good God they gave him enough chances.
Old 07-05-2006, 23:00   #18
God Member

Quote:
Yes but from the news items I saw Saddam himself tried to make it look like he had them. He was having large items moved during the night from compounds to other compounds which, IMHO, he was just generally trying to play a game that he lost. He never believed the coalition were serious, good God they gave him enough chances.
The way I see it; Hussein has won.
His evil slaughterings of innocent people are still being carried out, yet it is not at his expense anymore, it is at the expense of his enemies in the west.

Bush has succeeded in making him a martyr.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 23:02   #19
God Member

Quote:
True but there is also genocide in Angola. No western intervention there because it isn't strategically place near oil fields.
Yes I agree but on the scale of things the Governments have information we don't they must have assumed on the scale of things that he was the biggest threat.

Oil fields lol! That I give no credibility, again only my humble opinion, but it's just anti-war propganda.
Old 07-05-2006, 23:02   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think that the people that lost are the ordinary Iraqis and the British and American service people who have given their lives, and for what? A country basically on the cusp of civil war, and a place where there isn't any law and order, and the loss of basic amenities that they enjoyed before.

Old 07-05-2006, 23:03   #21
God Member

Quote:
they must have assumed on the scale of things that he was the biggest threat.
A war based on assumption....scary huh?
Old 07-05-2006, 23:05   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oil fields lol! That I give no credibility, again only my humble opinion, but it's just anti-war propganda.
You don't think the position of Iraq to the middle eastern oil fields played a part in both Gulf wars?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one Tinks.

Old 07-05-2006, 23:06   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
The way I see it; Hussein has won.
His evil slaughterings of innocent people are still being carried out, yet it is not at his expense anymore, it is at the expense of his enemies in the west.

Bush has succeeded in making him a martyr.
I disagree, quite probbly this generation of Iraq's won't benefit and I do feel great sympathy for them having to live in a country that is in absolute turmoil, that we, as a civilised country can only imagine but I do hope later generations benefit from coalition intervention.
Old 07-05-2006, 23:08   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Governments have information we don't they must have assumed on the scale of things that he was the biggest threat.
Threat to whom?

Britain?

America?

I don't remember any aimed at those two countries.

I'm not anti-war by the way, but I think our troops should be used to protect our country, which they aren't doing placed like sitting ducks in Basra, and being cheered every time one of them dies, by the people they have supposedly liberated.

Old 07-05-2006, 23:12   #25
God Member

Quote:
I disagree, quite probbly this generation of Iraq's won't benefit and I do feel great sympathy for them having to live in a country that is in absolute turmoil, that we, as a civilised country can only imagine but I do hope later generations benefit from coalition intervention.
We will just have to disagree there; I do not believe that the generations of the future will benefit from this. Imagine seeing parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles shot at the hands of 'evil men from the west with guns'.
Now forgive me if I sound too forthright here as I do not intend to generalise, but it is these young people that may well grow into the Osama Bin Ladens of tomorrow, fuelled by hatred towards the men that came into their country and killed.

Last edited by shakermaker; 07-05-2006 at 23:13. Reason: bloody spelling...again
Old 07-05-2006, 23:20   #26
God Member

Quote:
Threat to whom?

Britain?

America?

I don't remember any aimed at those two countries.

I'm not anti-war by the way, but I think our troops should be used to protect our country, which they aren't doing placed like sitting ducks in Basra, and being cheered every time one of them dies, by the people they have supposedly liberated.
Yes I agree with you to an extent. I just wish I wasn't so tired lol! I know what I mean it's just not coming out right.

Its ok saying none of his weapons were directed at Britain or America, he was a very dangerous man. Look back through history what happens when idiotic tyrants are given a free reign and go un-checked.
Old 07-05-2006, 23:24   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes I agree with you to an extent. I just wish I wasn't so tired lol! I know what I mean it's just not coming out right.

Its ok saying none of his weapons were directed at Britain or America, he was a very dangerous man. Look back through history what happens when idiotic tyrants are given a free reign and go un-checked.
Well we'll agree then.

I'd just rather our troops were out looking for scum Al-Quada, where ever they might be lurking, home and abroad. They to me our more of a threat to Britain than Saddam ever personally was.

Last edited by garinda; 07-05-2006 at 23:34.
Old 07-05-2006, 23:29   #28
God Member

Quote:
I do not believe that the generations of the future will benefit from this. Imagine seeing parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles shot at the hands of 'evil men from the west with guns'.
Ok Shaker just turn that one around for a moment, so it's ok to see their parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles shot at the hands of their countries own leader?

Quote:
Now forgive me if I sound too forthright here as I do not intend to generalise, but it is these young people that may well grow into the Osama Bin Ladens of tomorrow, fuelled by hatred towards the men that came into their country and killed.
Maybe, but wht else can you hope for except they will come to understand that democracy is a good thing.
Old 08-05-2006, 00:28   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
The problem is (and I did not agree with the war in the first instance) that if we do pull out now teh country would descend into total chaos and militia rule. Someone does need to be there untill the Iraqi goverment have had chance to put some infrastructure back in place
agree fully with entwi in all he says, but i would add that any of our troops who witnessed the celebrations of the poor sods burning should have mowed the bloody lot down wether there where kids dancing or not,and if that offends anyone TOUGH.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:33   #30
Senior Member+

i just have real heartfelt sympathy for the families of the boys who die out there.

RIP.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..