Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2007, 18:55   #46
God Member

Re: War veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was a War Blazey......bad things happened on all sides.....wars are bad things all round...people get killed, tortured, gassed......and you want to think yourself fortunate that you have not had to live through anything like it........and you should hope you never have to in the future either.
I would go and fight for my country if needed, I would go fight now if necessary but most families in this generation don't want to send their children to war. They'd rather send them to university or get a normal safe job.

Many parents these days refuse to let their children go to fight in the war. The honour isn't enough for this country anymore because they'd rather gain materially from fighting in the war.

Your saying we are living through a war margeret, we are just fortunate someone hasn't come to bomb us yet.
Living in accy though and the way we are quite racist in our conservative northern ways at times I feel more lucky that there isnt something worth bombing, because then I would be worried.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2007, 18:56   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
The russians raped 3million german civilians to get their own back after the war, I think that was enough to get their own back dont you?

So in Blazey world the revenge rape of German women (where is the three million figure from?), sort of compensates them for being Nazis, and the atrocities they inflicted on millions of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals etc, never mind the thousands of people who were killed fighting them?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 18:57   #48
Beacon of light

I didn't say we were living through a war at all.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 18:58   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I said there was no necessary need to reward them with materialistic things
Such as?

Food for their orphaned children, or in the case of Margaret Pilkington's dad, a pair of glasses?

Old 17-06-2007, 18:59   #50
Beacon of light

Homes and good health care would be a good start.
Old 17-06-2007, 19:03   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Such as?

Food for their orphaned children, or in the case of Margaret Pilkington's dad, a pair of glasses?
Medals and certificates, the point of the original thread maker before we started to discuss benefits. I have no interest in the benefit system.

Maybe its Gods cruel way of having a laugh at those who fight in the war, who knows, I'm not the one who decides the benefit system and if I had something to complain about I'd go and lobby about it, not whinge on accy web about it. What difference is it going to make anyway?
Old 17-06-2007, 19:03   #52
Beacon of light

You can't feed your children medals....or buy glasses either.
Old 17-06-2007, 19:04   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
How does a person ever learn if they are not allowed to? I wonder what makes you so intelligent and/ or experienced? What makes you think that you are better than any other person? Maybe the people that keep putting Blazey down would be better served by explaining their points in a different way. I don't believe that the teachers of today teach their students by mocking them!
I'll tell you how people learn. They learn by listening to people who maybe know better and then adjust their opinion accordingly. The problem with blazey is that they don't adapt their opion, they just keep on going despite they fact that they are naively opinionated.

That is a major problem with the our society today. People are encouraged to believe that whatever they think is right and that nobody knows any better, even when they are blantantly wrong. People are not prepared to listen and then reformulate their opinions based on what others are saying. They just keep on believing they're right in a classic postmodern fashion.

And where did all that 'teacher stuff' come from?
Old 17-06-2007, 19:05   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You can't feed your children medals....or buy glasses either.
Benefits aren't an award, they are a necessity. Hence why I dont see why the thread is about benefits.
Old 17-06-2007, 19:06   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
the point of the original thread maker before we started to discuss benefits.
This was the first post of the thread.

'Could we have a topic about war veterans please? I'm interested in what the general public think they deserve upon returning from war. All wars are of interest from the World wars to Vietnam, The Gulf war and The Argentinian war. Should we treat them any better than anyone else and, should we treat them even better after a particularly bloody war?'

Therefore how we treat war veterans, and the benefits they, or their families receive on their return, is very relevant to the discussion.

Old 17-06-2007, 19:07   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
The more I read, the more I worry that nothing is being taught.
Stuff is taught, but only the bits that lead to a qualification. Subjects today are so compartmentalised that nobody get anywhere near a true education. Instead we end up with loads of people with skant knowledge, but the belief that they are all-knowing. Very dangerous combination.
Old 17-06-2007, 19:08   #57
Beacon of light

Blazey, I wasn't talking about benefits as you understand them today......I was talking about a total lack of care for a man who gave up 6 years of his life to fight for the freedom of this country...believing that he would come home and be looked after....his needs cared for...especially as his needs were made necessary by the fact that he fought for the country...but you just don't get it do you?
Old 17-06-2007, 19:08   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I'll tell you how people learn. They learn by listening to people who maybe know better and then adjust their opinion accordingly. The problem with blazey is that they don't adapt their opion, they just keep on going despite they fact that they are naively opinionated.

That is a major problem with the our society today. People are encouraged to believe that whatever they think is right and that nobody knows any better, even when they are blantantly wrong. People are not prepared to listen and then reformulate their opinions based on what others are saying. They just keep on believing they're right in a classic postmodern fashion.

And where did all that 'teacher stuff' come from?
Would you adapt your thoughts on subject if you thought that I knew better than you?
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 19:09   #59
God Member

Quote:
This was the first post of the thread.

'Could we have a topic about war veterans please? I'm interested in what the general public think they deserve upon returning from war. All wars are of interest from the World wars to Vietnam, The Gulf war and The Argentinian war. Should we treat them any better than anyone else and, should we treat them even better after a particularly bloody war?'

Therefore how we treat war veterans, and the benefits they, or their families receive on their return, is very relevant to the discussion.
Well its a shame that the past war veterans didnt get benefits but right now the situation is even worse and I dont see anyone having a complain about that.
We wont even have a military hospital soon in this country, thats if they havent already had to shut it down, and thats because of lack of funding.

That lack of funding is due to the amount of people who dont pay their way in the country and we have to keep giving money to those that should be working. If theres anything to whinge about that, not at an 18yr old still at college who is just being bullied on a forum thats apparently full of adults.
Old 17-06-2007, 19:11   #60
Beacon of light

There were no benefits after the second world war.....what was available was called National Assistance and was Means tested.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..