Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2006, 16:23   #1
Resident Waffler

Angry Water - or more to the point, the lack thereof!

I was in the middle room doing a spot of ironing when my daughter came home from school and asked me what that big grey thng was across the road and what all the people were doing gathered round it.

I looked. It was a water tank. I tried the kitchen tap. Trickle, trickle, drip. I looked for a big pan and went to join the people across the road, sent second daughter to check if the neighbours had water and if they knew about the tank.

Some people were filling plastic dustbins with water. We found a couple of pop bottles which thankfully hadn't been recycled yet because they aren't collected until tomorrow but before we'd got much the tank ran out.

Point 1 I am a little miffed with the greed and selfishness of people who were intent on getting as much water for themselves and to heck with anybody else. I am especially miffed at the exceedingly selfish soul who washed out his container before filling it and poured a couple of gallons of precious water down the road!

Point 2 I am also a little miffed with United Utilities who were able to bring a tank but didn't make any attempt to let anyone know about it as far as I am aware. People who saw it through their front window were of course first in line for water.

Apparently there's been a burst watermain up Willows Lane somewhere which they are attempting to fix.

There are more tanks around Fern Gore but it's too far for me to be able to carry pans of water so we'll just have to try to manage with what we've got for now and hope it won't be off for too long.

Can't even get through to UU - all you get is an automated message telling you there's a burst and where the tanks are, which is pretty useless as the one they say is outside here is already empty. For all I know the others probably are too by now.

If we haven't any water tomorrow I can see me going on the scrounge to friends in other parts of Accrington!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2006, 16:31   #2
God Member

Re: Water - or more to the point, the lack thereof!

There are rules about this sort of thing, Willow. Have a look on the back of your water bill, it should give you some pointers about where to lodge your complaint and where you can bone up on the rules. Looking at my astrological charts I get the distinct and overwhelming impression of an attack of compensation coming on for someone in Willows Lane.
Old 17-01-2006, 16:33   #3
Resident Waffler

Can't imagine them compensating the lot of us somehow, there'd be far too many. They will blame the tank running dry on the people who took more than their fair share.

Old 17-01-2006, 16:41   #4

No worries - I am very near willows lane where they are digging and I don't think our water has been affected. So, if you run dry I can let you have some of ours. Obviously for a large sum of money - just jokin.

Removals - no Job too small....or BIG
mantrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 16:44   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Myself and my neighbours were all compensated about 4 years ago when our water was switched off for a couple of hours without warning. I was on nights at the time and didn't even know that the water had been switched off. My neighbour came round in the evening and told me about it, he gave me the number to ring to register a complaint. When I phoned I was offered a payment straight away, we all got £15 each for the inconvenience. If they are going to switch the water off, they have to give you warning apparrently.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 16:44   #6
God Member

You never know till you threaten to sue!
Old 17-01-2006, 16:51   #7
God Member

Maybe thats why Broadway is swimming. Jokes aside at least a card could have been posted even if it was an emergency and though it might sound police state like a guy from United Uttilities should have been there to be sure it was a fair distribution. Wether that is they way it is ment to be I aint sure but it should be especially if like willow there are children in the house and as such should have priority. Sue the greedy wasteful devils in a civil court!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 17:32   #8
Resident Waffler

I don't think they switched it off I think it ceased to flow into out pipes because it was flowing out of a leak instead - hence they couldn't give us prior warning. I accept that. After all they aren't psychic. BUT perhaps they could have spent a bit more of our money on maintenance and then these things wouldn't happen.

Old 17-01-2006, 17:34   #9
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
a guy from United Uttilities should have been there to be sure it was a fair distribution.
It would have helped. Maybe they didn't fancy paying the overtime?

Yes I'm pretty sure in the olden days they used to knock on people's doors or put little cards through to let them know.

Old 17-01-2006, 17:36   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrabooks
No worries - I am very near willows lane where they are digging and I don't think our water has been affected. So, if you run dry I can let you have some of ours. Obviously for a large sum of money - just jokin.

Oooh can you see them digging? They told somebody it might take a week to fix!!! Are they still at it?

How much are you chargeing?

Old 17-01-2006, 17:55   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Some people were filling plastic dustbins with water.

dirty thilthy so and so's ......who in their right minds would drink water thats been in a dustbin ? even it had been freshly cleaned disinfected or not id rather go to the shop and buy some than drink it from a bin

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 18:01   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Oooh can you see them digging? They told somebody it might take a week to fix!!! Are they still at it?

How much are you chargeing?
If it takes a week they had better be more orginised ith the water tanks and stop people being greedy and wasteful!!! KIDS FIRST!!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 18:40   #13
mez
God Member

willow ive got water if you want some & if the girls or you want a bath or shower my facilities are available . my mate is off as well up fern gore.oooo & busman too.
Old 17-01-2006, 18:41   #14
Senior Member+

Im afraid your not the only one willow i have no water n iv been finding it really hard...how about us single parents that have to ask people in the neighbourhood to watch child whilst you get a pan of water?to be fair the UU were still trying to sort the problem out an hour ago when i took babby for a walk.....although some of em were sitting in the vans eating take aways!

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 19:17   #15
mez
God Member

just heard water now back on in fern gore & willows lane

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..