Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2006, 11:43   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Water, Water Everywhere – But Not A Drop In Taps.

With apologies to the Ancient Mariner.

So parts of the country have reached the state where stand pipes will be almost inevitable unless we, or rather they, conserve water. And more areas have had water usage restrictions placed upon the customers.

Why?

The water companies come up with a variety of excuses ranging from a dry winter 2 years running to customer wastage. Nothing about using some or even all of the excess profits and shareholder dividends though. Fat cat salaries and perks don’t get a mention and only lips service is paid to the billions of litres of clean water lost in leaks. During a news interview yesterday evening a Water Company had the cheek to state that it would be too expensive to replace all the leaky pipes. The mind boggles!

If there were little or no leakage there would not be a water shortage in certain areas but the god of money rules the water industry and profits come before service. So Joe Public bears the brunt of any restrictions whilst the money that we pay leaks away into the coffers of the select few.

I will not be restricting my water usage, mainly because I don’t waste any anyway and never have done. But then a few years on a post war warship teaches you that water is precious and once it has gone there ain’t no more until you hit port.

I can’t help feeling that some Water Companies are crying wolf to some extent and that there is a secret agenda to force every household to use water meters by law.

Living on my own as I do, (if you discount that spider in the shower room and the one that guards my back window) if I had a water meter, I would expect to save some £50 per year. What’s the betting that a metered water bill will not make such a large saving but a nominal ten or fifteen quid.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:03   #2
I am Banned

Re: Water, Water Everywhere – But Not A Drop In Taps.

the govenment should take back the water and keep it govenment controlled

thse idiots have proven that they cant handle the resposabiity to keep us with water so take the water back and dont give them another penny
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 12:13   #3
God Member

Did it never occur to those numpties that keep building housing down south that you need a certain level of infrastructure. They have all these stats that the average family uses x amount of water per day yet they still go ahead and build knowing there might not be enough water available. This says to me that there is a serious planning problem which needs to be addressed before they build more. One argument I heard was that the type of rocks down there are not the "right kind" for holding water for any length of time. Why the hell cant they build a few ressies on the land for housing on the line of the concrete bowl at Bewl?

If they think its bad now what will it be like if they carry on like this and winters and summers become dryer?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 13:18   #4
Give, give, give member

We live on an island for God's sake. If countries with less rainfall than we get manage so should our warter companies.

Some of the vast profits made should be invested in desalination plants, especially with the massive increase in homes being planned for the south east.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 16:00   #5
God Member

Floating Icebergs up the Thames ... well, haven't we heard it all now?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...184327,00.html
Old 17-05-2006, 16:05   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Yep...they weren't very successful in floating the whale, either.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 17:10   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...184327,00.html
Well at some point in the distant future London will be under sea
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 17:11   #8
I am Banned

Well according to United Utilities everyone will be water metered at some point in the next decade or so.
Old 17-05-2006, 18:49   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Well according to United Utilities everyone will be water metered at some point in the next decade or so.
Money grabbing MF's!!!! To make it worse all the mony that these water companies pay their bosses is for SFA work wise!!!!!!!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 17-05-2006, 19:33   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Money grabbing MF's!!!! To make it worse all the mony that these water companies pay their bosses is for SFA work wise!!!!!!!!!
Yep specially as bills this year have risen by 9.5%!!
Old 17-05-2006, 20:27   #11
God Member

Getting more money for the water we use really isn't the solution.

We live on an island surrounded by water, it rains 360 days a year (I've allowed for the 5 days that we get as a summer) and yet we're running out of water - absolutely ridiculous.

What some enterprising business needs to do is sell water tanks that you put on top of your house. If you look at all the hotels and homes in Greece they all seem to have these water tanks, so they collect their own water and always have water for their toilets and showers.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 22:37   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Getting more money for the water we use really isn't the solution.

We live on an island surrounded by water, it rains 360 days a year (I've allowed for the 5 days that we get as a summer) and yet we're running out of water - absolutely ridiculous.

What some enterprising business needs to do is sell water tanks that you put on top of your house. If you look at all the hotels and homes in Greece they all seem to have these water tanks, so they collect their own water and always have water for their toilets and showers.
A few enterprising people use it along with wind turbines and solar panels to be as green as possible. How long would it be before you get taxed on them.

A work mates friend who is working down south at the mo is coming up for a visit and the have a hosepipe ban at home and we made a few suggestions for a trip or 2 surfice they were regect on the grounds of possible bodily violence.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 17-05-2006, 22:55   #13
God Member

Its a liberty! but global warming you know, anyway as long as you have enough water to drink,wash and other essentials otherwise I think you should be charged more for watering gardens and washing cars. are there bans on auto car washes?

Jambutty said "I will not be restricting my water usage, mainly because I don’t waste any anyway and never have done. But then a few years on a post war warship teaches you that water is precious and once it has gone there ain’t no more until you hit port"

apologies bruv but i thought sailors were more partial to RUM, ooow i can't wait till i get on the port and lemon!!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 09:20   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Water, Water Everywhere – But Not A Drop In Taps.

We may be surrounded by water Gayle but it is saltwater, which is expensive to desalinate. It doesn’t rain 360 days in a year in Darwen and when it does it is just a drizzle that does nothing for the water table and being warmer much evaporates before it can soak into the ground. Massive pour downs don’t do much either as most just runs off into rivers and streams.

The real answer to the potential water shortage problem is more reservoirs and no leaks. But that costs money and the NIMBY attitude of Joe Public. There is money in the water industry but that would mean no share dividends and bonuses for the fat cats. A two years freeze on dividends would release sufficient funds to solve the water problem once and for all.

It’s a different Navy today to the one that I knew Mancie. No Rum for starters. A ship has fresh water tanks for drinking and cooking and separate fresh water tanks for washing and showers that are topped up from the desalination plant that also supply the boilers with non-salty water. They also flush the toilets with seawater. Deck scrubbing etc is done using seawater. There was even special saltwater soap. Ordinary soap will not lather in seawater.

And therein lies the key to fresh water usage. More than 90% of the treated water does not get used for drinking and cooking. The rest is used for washing, toilet flushing etc. Sadly it wouldn’t be practical to supply each home with two water supplies one for drinking and cooking with and one for other uses.
Old 18-05-2006, 09:20   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Water, Water Everywhere – But Not A Drop In Taps.

Ooops! Sorry! Twitchy finger.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..