Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2006, 15:49   #1
God Member

Bleedin' heart (transplant) liberals...

For those of who who will not have seen it, this is today's lead article in the Independent newspaper:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle485917.ece

Personally, I was sickened to read this, and on more than one count. Firstly, it simply confirms the depth of health tourism in the UK, and certainly within London. I have no doubt others can tell us what it is like within N.E.Lancs.

Secondly, the journalism is appaling; no attempt has been made to ask even the most simple questions, such as the extent of Heart Donor availability - and this is supposed to be a serious newspaper.

Thirdly, it has mixed up it's terrible reporting with its own moral agenda which must be at complete variance with the legal nationals of this country.

Thank god the subject of the article is dead and the sooner her brats are returned to Nigeria, the better - although somehow I doubt that is likely to happen.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2006, 16:04   #2
I am Banned

Re: Bleedin' heart (transplant) liberals...

Quote:
Immigration: Mother consigned to certain death by harsh new rules
A young mother fell ill and died on a visit to Britain - an innocent victim of the hysteria over so-called health tourism
so-called health tourism ..?

well i know of a doctor at bolton hospital who flew his mother in from another country to fiddle the NHS into paying for her surgery

luckily this got spotted and was reported although the doctor did not get struck off or even sacked which i find appauling

send every single one of them packing , they havnt paid tax and national insurance and we have our own ill peopel waiting for emergency treatment so why should they get any help

f*** em all , if we keep them bogged down in red tape long enough hopefully they will either die before they clog up our hospitals or sod off back to where they came from

now if any foreighner who VISITS the uk has the appropiate health insurance like we have to have when going abroad then fair enough treat them but if they dont then good night vienna

Last edited by chav1; 18-05-2006 at 16:08.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 18:40   #3
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Thank god the subject of the article is dead and the sooner her brats are returned to Nigeria, the better - although somehow I doubt that is likely to happen.
I somehow feel that as they were born in this country and their father has indefinite leave to stay they are more than likely to grow up here.

This poor woman wasn't a health tourist. She intended to return home to have her babies. She came here on a legal visa and was taken ill whilst here. Yes she outstayed her visa but that was because she was too ill to travel home. I'd like to think we have enough compassion for humanity in this country to at least understand that.

As you said, badly written article with too many unanswered questions and biased reporting.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 19:58   #4
God Member

I hope there is some sense used were the kids are concerned. It is bad enough that the rumour mill has her as a health tourist though she was a legit visitor. As for compasion that will be the last thing on some minds with the state the NHS is in and because of previous exploitation.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 20:03   #5
God Member

I agree with willow, He was working too not sponging of benefits like a lot of them, and I bet he didn't nick the letters and put them in the bin. If the kids dad stays here, the kids should stay here. I also think she should have gone on group one, there's still no guarantee that she'd get one, but why put her on group two KNOWING she'd be dead by the time one's available, and especially if she was told she couldn't fly home. The whole situation sounds cocked up to me. If they're not going to treat people then why stop them flying back home.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 05:37   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
This poor woman wasn't a health tourist. She intended to return home to have her babies
We only have her word for that don't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Independant
But she was then told that the new rules meant that while British, EU citizens and people from some other countries were put on a priority "group one" list for donor hearts, she would only put on a lower, group two list. With about 100 people on the group one list at any time and a shortage of organs, it meant she had no chance of receiving the heart she needed.
I thought with transplants you needed a tissue type match before they could transplant. As she was Nigerian would it not be a lot less likely to find a donar in England anyway?
Old 19-05-2006, 12:53   #7
Resting in peace

Health tourism is not "so-called", it is a fact. I worked in the Health Service for several years. When a patient first arrives at a clinic, the only question you are allowed to ask is "Have you been resident in this country for 12 months?". If they answer yes, the form states "DO NOT ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS". No proof is ever requested. Working in Orthopaedics at the Royal Free, we had quite a number of Nigerian nationals coming to the clinic requiring hip or knee replacement - an op for which there are always long waiting lists. They all gave the same address in Hampstead. I would be asked "Can you give me at least 3 weeks notice of my op" - the sub-text being "I need to book my flight from Nigeria, so I need notice". Health tourism is certainly alive and well in London, which is more than can be said for some of our own nationals who die whilst on waiting lists for cardiac surgery.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 13:50   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
". No proof is ever requested. Working in Orthopaedics at the Royal Free, we had quite a number of Nigerian nationals coming to the clinic requiring hip or knee replacement - an op for which there are always long waiting lists. .
I don't know if you saw the figures last year, but the estimate is that there are 400 Nigerian women arrive in London alone, every week, simply to have their babies here. No questions are asked and no charges are made . The woman mentioned in the Indy was just one of 'em. Invariablely, they all have the same excuse on arriving in that they have fallen ill or the babies are premature.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 13:56   #9
Super Moderator

...yet when we go to other countries we have to take out travel insurance, otherwise we would be charged for any medical treatment we have. Even when we travel to other countries in the EU, we have to take E111s. So why isn't the government sorting it out? Because they're a useless bunch of spin-obsessed incompetents, that's why.
Old 19-05-2006, 15:33   #10
I am Banned

well said Wynonie we have to pay to make sure we are cared for abroad so why shouldnt everyone else

if you cant afford the appropiate cover for travell then dont bloody travell or if you must then accept the consiquencies of your actions

its been thought of as a caring nation that gets us screwed over , if any of these bleeding hearts have and emergency operation due and would like to give up THEIR place in teh hospital then fair enough but until we are capable of looking after our own which we arnt then everytone else shoudl sod off
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 16:58   #11
Resting in peace

Wynonie =- be careful, I think the E111 has been replaced by yet another form, so the old ones aren't valid any more. Anyway the only time I had to use one was in Switzerland, and the doc didn't seem to know what it was! (That might have had something to do with the fact that our only common languages was French - his ten words, and my fifteen words in Italian!)
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 17:40   #12
Super Moderator

Right, thanks for the advice, Pendy. I'll bear it in mind next time I go to Europe.
Old 19-05-2006, 19:01   #13
God Member

I agree with you on all that, I hate spongers coming to this country just to take MY national insurance contributions, and my granddad came here and he worked, and worked hard, and took nothing, the odd times he was ill, which was very rare, the ncb workshops nurse at Ansley common dealt with it.
When he went into hospital with a collapsed lung, they found out he had cancer.
they asked his name, found out it ended in ski, and didn't want to treat him until we'd proved he had rights to be here and was an assumed national. Thats the complete opposite to what pendy's said, and it really ****ed me off at the time. Why was he interrogated before he was treated, when they knew he'd die, and was in extreme pain, when they get to come over here and only get asked one question.
George Eliot hospital has a lot of questions to answer from a lot of disgruntled relatives, it has one if not the worst records in the UK.
It's not the spongers that are getting stopped you see tealeaf they get through no Questions, It's people who are entitled or people who are genuinely in need of treatment because they are dying.

It's about time this government got their act together and sorted both the illegal immigrants, deportations and the nhs. I'm sick of the false promises.
Old 19-05-2006, 19:03   #14
God Member

E111 is no longer valid
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...avellers/fs/en
Old 19-05-2006, 19:29   #15
God Member

Try E112 then and becom a medical tourist.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..